Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179044Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sir, you are spoiling us. Xmas hath cometh early to this lair. Reviews par excellence!!

Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Holmes and Watson

Sam wanted to watch this I didn’t, I don’t like the 2 main characters to being with, and it looked garbage, is this what they call comedy these days ? my first instinct was correct utter tripe in the highest degree, to the point it was actually cringe worthy and embarrassing to watch, nothing remotely funny about this, after half hour I took dog out for a walk and let Sam finish it off herself. it’s tripe films like this that makes me realise why I don’t watch many comedies these days.

Last edited by gag; 22nd December 2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Holmes and Watson

Sam wanted to watch this I didn’t, I don’t like the 2 main characters to being with, and it looked garbage, is this what they call comedy these days ? my first instinct was correct utter tripe in the highest degree, to the point it was actually cringe worthy and embarrassing to watch, nothing remotely funny about this, after half hour I took dog out for a walk and let Sam finish it off herself. it’s tripe films like this that makes me realise why I don’t watch many comedies these days.
Never been a big fan of Ferrell but always liked John C Reilly. But have no intention of ever seeing this.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

hysteria_UKquad.jpg
HYSTERIA (1965)

While in England, an American man is involved in a car crash. He has no memory of who is is or why he was in the car. A mysterious benefactor gives him a place to live where he starts having hallucinations of murder..

Hammer Films psychological murder mystery written by Jimmy Sangster.
Good movie with twists and turns until the final moments in Sangster's usual Hammer style.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Never been a big fan of Ferrell but always liked John C Reilly. But have no intention of ever seeing this.
I would never have watched it either if it wasn’t for the other half.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 14

Child Eater (2016)

I don't rememeber anything about this other than a lot of eyeballs were gouged out. I think it was quite enjoyable though.

Thanks Tenjaku Japanese whisky.
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

TheTakingOfPelham123_quad_UK-1.jpg
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 (1974)

Passengers on a subway train are taken hostage in New York.
The demand is 1 Million dollars within an hour or a hostage will be shot every minute..

Good and sometimes tense movie as Robert Shaw is unmoving in his demands.
The subway control though, are portrayed as lazy and loadmouthed and the authorities incompetent.
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 15

The Possession of Hannah Grace (2018)

A largely enjoyable if unoriginal tale of a possessed corpse set entirely in the confines of a Boston hospital morgue.

Following a well constructed set up the movie does run out of steam a bit which was a shame but forged ahead in the final twenty minutes with some genuine creepiness but the overall feeling is one of who cares. I was also puzzled as to how they could have a naked girl constantly on screen yet not once do we see even a boob.

Recent efforts like the Brian Cox starrer The Autopsy of Jane Doe were far scarier propositions i thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b6abd6623b6e300d326711a0a81b9c66.jpg (84.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 23rd December 2020, 04:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Frankie's pre-xmas round-up - the third and final chapter... here comes Santa to give you all your prezzies in one tidy review;

MEMORIAL VALLEY MASSACRE – Pioneering eco-slasher, which for some reason I’ve always had a bit of a soft-spot for ever since I saw it on one of those crappy public domain-type “five for a pound… on one disc” jobs ten or fifteen years ago. Wouldn’t say I’ve revisited it that often since, but Vinegar Syndrome have come along to put everyone’s mind at rest with a definitive restoration. Who’d have thought in the early days of digital media that stuff like this would get such a deluxe boutique refurbishment? Maybe I’m naïve, but it’s so weird. I’m not complaining though, obviously. MVM is what it is, an arguably tongue-in-cheek daylit horror which has unaccountably chosen its would-be slasher in the form of a very clean looking Stig-of-the-dump type who seems keen to impose his wrath on campers and business guys who are spoiling a beauty spot. Not much ‘proper horror’ in the end maybe, and the killer arouses sympathy more than fearful awe, but the film is as much quirky as it’s questionably competent, although there’s a misplaced clever-cleverness to it that grates a bit. Weird shit from yesteryear.

FOES – Quite a find for me, an odd and genuinely eerie film about a UFO encounter on a bleak and windswept beach. Rather than take the ‘Close Encounters’ route and let the cosmic good vibes roll, ‘Foes’ allows us to peek at an altogether more sinister version of what it might be like to meet an extra-terrestrial intelligence in drug-addled seventies California. We follow some coastal types as they check out what’s going down with all these weird objects in the sky – a sparse, oddly empty-feeling narrative unfolds (I watched the director’s cut, the theatrical release is longer but padded out with ‘plot-enhancement’ via lots of scenes in a military complex). The special effects are great – I’m not really talking about the flying saucer, more the light-based visuals, they’re very simple but suggest something really eerie and maybe a bit hellish. A quiet, threadbare but affecting little movie.

GEMINI – From Shinya Tsukamoto, so you might expect a blizzard of harsh camera moves and cyborgs gone-wrong; ‘Gemini’, however, is several steps beyond ‘Tetsuo’ and much of his early stuff. It’s actually quite sedate, at first at least. A small-town doctor is adored by his patients, but his world falls apart when his folks die under mysterious circumstances and a doppelganger inserts itself into his life. ‘Gemini’ is really very nice to look at and uses an overload of Bava-esque lighting to push even some of its more innocuous moments towards a kind of delirium, minus the director’s hyperkinetic tendency (which I sometimes find a bit wearying looking back on it these days, to be honest). It’s never very clear whether it’s all a kind of psycho-dramatic externalisation of the lead character’s internal conflict, more of a thriller-type plot, or even something more supernatural, but in that respect ‘Gemini’ plays well on its enigma. A pungent exercise in atmosphere – fans of the director should like it.
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-lb.jpg
El CID (1961)

Epic movie based on Spanish knight and hero Rodrigo DÃ*az de Vivar.
Exciting and colouful with good battle scenes and a cast of thousands.
Miklos Rozsa on familiar epic soundtrack duty.

Like this? Share it using the links below!