Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Happy Feet

Animated film in which Penguins find their soul mates via song but Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman's Son can't sing but can dance which infuriates the elders and gets the blame for a loss of Fish. When you see the trailer advertised for it's Cinema release, you got the impression that this would be awesome and be a massive and popular hit but it doesn't reach it's potential and it has a strong environmental message at the end.

Rescuers Down Under

Sequel to an under-rated Disney Film in which our heroic Mice travel to Australia in order to save a Boy kidnapped by a Poacher who is after a rare Eagle. I loved the original and whilst good, it doesn't reach the same heights.

Tequila Sunrise

Mel Gibson is a Drug Dealer who is friends with Police Detective, Kurt Russell and they end up in a Drug Investigation whilst trying to romance Restaurant Owner, Michelle Pheiffer. This was a very slow film and it only livened up when Raul Julia appeared. There wasn't much Action, which to me was a disappointment, considering it's a Mel Gibson, Warner Bros Film, from the 80's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hf.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rdu.jpg (16.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ts.jpg (13.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th December 2020, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

lfbb.jpg
THE SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH (1957)

Smashing and funny comedy in which a couple inherit a old cinema complete with the long term staff. The cinema, named 'The Flea Pit' is sandwiched between two railway lines and tries to compete with the modern 'Grand' cinema who's owners wish to buy the old cinema (also using underhanded methods) and build a car park on the site.
A comedy treat for lovers of the old cinemas. The scene in which the Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna come across the old staff watching and remembering the silent movies is heartwarming.

Old 25th December 2020, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of Terror (1986)

SOV. A rather unsubtle take on the Spiral Staircase/ Gaslight genre. Though the slightly crazed and bleak ending made up for it's shortcomings. MAAAAAAAAAAAN, the Eighties were shit tbh
Great ST. Bleep bloop bleep etc. Vaguely giallo vibes, like if a child made one cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th December 2020, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Disappointing double bill this Boxing Day, started off with Tenet which is Nolan's recent big screen outing, all loud bangs and quiet dialogue and some scientific mumbo jumbo to confuse everyone viewing it. If this film could be described in one word it'd be 'GREY'

Then I settled down to watch Disney Pixar's new one Soul which features a lovely Reznor & Ross soundtrack but very little else. Started off ok but then turned into the usual 'let's talk about our feelings, man' story, about a jazz musician trying to find the meaning in his life.

I should have finished my Lord of the Rings trilogy rewatch with Return of the King instead, oh well I can do that tomorrow I guess.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th December 2020, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 25

Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties (1978)

Now this is how to finish Christmas Day. Late night entertainment courtesy of Jess Franco.

And what entertainment it is. Watching Lina Romay bursting out of the tiniest gold bikini (with matching swim cap) being pursued by a machine gun wielding blonde in a helicopter.

Happy Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81QtxJ3GLcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (101.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th December 2020, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm overdue a rewatch of this one, very enjoyable and titillating fun!

Old 26th December 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm overdue a rewatch of this one, very enjoyable and titillating fun!
I watched the dubbed version. (Didn't want the subs to get in the way )

It was just like a piss take. I'm sure the impressions dude from Police Academy saw this and it inspired his 'dubbed movie' routine.

Words were spoken but lips never moved followed by the actors (loose term) talking and no audible dialogue.
Old 27th December 2020, 08:23 AM
Cult Addict

I know this may be sacrilege but i almost always watch dubbed versions as it adds to the bizarreness and charm of foreign films for me.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 27th December 2020, 08:58 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I know this may be sacrilege but i almost always watch dubbed versions as it adds to the bizarreness and charm of foreign films for me.

It depends on the film maker, but Fulci, Argento and Uncle Jess I'll always watch an English dub over an 'original' language track. Although a lot of the Jess Franco films coming out these days which have been dug up from under the floorboards or what have you, only seem to have original language on them as they are fairly obscure titles.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 27th December 2020, 09:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It depends on the film maker, but Fulci, Argento and Uncle Jess I'll always watch an English dub over an 'original' language track. Although a lot of the Jess Franco films coming out these days which have been dug up from under the floorboards or what have you, only seem to have original language on them as they are fairly obscure titles.
I usually put on the English track and the English subtitles to compare what's being said.

If someone like David Warbeck, ie - an English speaking actor, is the lead i'll usually always go with the English dub as they'll have dubbed themself. I really don't think it's any use listening to an Italian dub over an English speaking actor. It really depends on what i think following a few scenes of chatter.

In the case of Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties yesterday night, the subs were just getting in the way.

Like this? Share it using the links below!