All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2020, 12:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
My Lovely Burnt Brother & His Squashed Brain (1988)

Jodorowsky on a budget of $1.75 (plus tax!!)
Fisher Price psychodelia from the hinterlands. To describe it blah blah blah Ebert said it was pond scum blah blah WHATEVER. RECOMMENDED.
Once every 15 minutes comes a motion picture .... this is one of those ones. Revenge and dentistry and the KKK and Spanish dialogue?? UUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Made Things seem quaint
My lovely burnt brother and his squashed brain
Sound like your describing your brother in hospital with brain damage due to a fire incident.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th December 2020, 02:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That seems quaint compared to the film

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th December 2020, 05:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 16

10 Rillington Place (1971)

The true story of John Reginald Christie set in the grimy streets of post war London. Richard Attenborough as Christie gives a tour-de-force performance that oozes menace throughout.

Part gritty kitchen sink drama and part horror film, 10 Rillington Place and director Richard Fleischer re-create the grittish atmosphere of the time superbly, but the most memorable thing is Attenborough's exercise in terror and despite lacking much in the way of bloodshed, the murders Christie acts out on local women are grueling to watch and extremely effective.

There's barely a chink of light in 10 Rillington Place, it's a movie that is so utterly bleak and is one hell of a spine chiller.

John Christie and Kris Kringle. It's the same fella you know. Let that sink in for a while!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43197.jpg (104.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 28th December 2020, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

And back to Christmas Day...

Michael Ball & Alfie Boe: Back Together – Live in Concert (2020)

Wasn't as bad as i feared. As a rock fan there were parts that were pretty cool such as covers of John Farnham's You're the Voice and a Queen medley comprising Who Wants to Lie Forever, The Show Must Go On and the hideous Friends will be Friends.

It's undeniable that both are excellent singers, especially Alfie Boe, and their in between song banter is fun, however, despite this being pretty decent it's not the sort of thing i'd choose to watch frequently. But, you know, Christmas and all that

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

An old favourite for Christmas Day night, basically because i can never be bothered with something new...especially after watching all two hours of Ball and Boe : Back Together, as a treat for my mum, from 7pm-9pm.

As a footnote. I'm so far behind with my reviews this year it's becoming embarrassing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-movie-1989.jpg (92.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 28th December 2020, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 17

It! (1966)

Bang average attempt to bring the classic Golem up to date, or at least into the sixties anyway.

Roddy McDowell channels his inner Norman Bates is a museum curator living with the corpse of his dead mother as he brings the Golem back to life in order to carry out random acts of murder.

The fact the movie tries to do too much really doesn't help here especially as it basically achieves very little and what could be a creepy tale of horror plays out as a riff on Hammer's Mummy films with elements of Psycho thrown in.
Old 28th December 2020, 06:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tainted Image (1990)

An updated Repulsion lite with fair to reasonable results, wavering as it does betwixt the two. A tad more conventional than some in this genre, much like ....

Fatal Exposure (1989, Peter B. Good)

A nasty wee thing this one. A maniac targets women etc. Bleak tone throughout mainly. Decently structured, this is also Recommended. Decent claret and plenty of it.

Nearly done!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th December 2020, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's another shitty Christmas for John when he goes to pick up his wife from the airport and gets involved with ex specials forces turned terrorist . Once again it's up to John to save his wife and many others this festive season. It's not Christmas until you see William Sadler doing naked exercises! 9/10

A Christmas classic , if this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, your already dead. 9.5/10

Probably my favourite DC movie, the beautiful Gal Gadot captures the spirit of wonder woman perfectly , I did enjoy the world war one setting and was a great piece of escapism when wonder woman enters no man's land. 9/10

While not awful it's not a patch on the first and is very slow , we have Pedro Pascal of Mandalorian fame as Maxwell Lord the main villain who wants to control the world but really couldn't take seriously, especially with that hair peice. More time should been spent on the character of cheetah. Chris Pine returns as Steve Trevor. Average but worth watching for the post credit scene which was by far the best bit of the movie. 6/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th December 2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 28th December 2020, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

976 Evil

A bullied Teen finds a business card which gives a phone that when dialed unleashes an evil force that takes care of his problems. Never seen this before and it's pretty decent but not totally in love with it.

V.F.W

A group of War Veterans help defend a girl from a group of murderous Drug Dealers and Junkies after she steals some highly potent Drugs in order to get revenge for her murdered sister. This is the movie that The Expendables should of been, highly violent and entertaining with a cast of B-Movie Actors such as William Sadler, Martin Kove, Fred Williamson and Stephen Lang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 976e.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vfw.jpg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 28th December 2020, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jubilee (1978)

I remember seeing Derek Jarman's unusual Jubilee back in the early days of Channel 4 and i found it fascinating stuff.

The story, about Queen Elizabeth I (Jenny Runacre) who takes a trip into the future to witness anarchy in the UK and the disintegration of society from the viewpoint of a group of mostly female punks living together in god knows where, led by Bod (Runacre, again) is almost irrelevant in comparison to the pseudo documentary vibe about chaos running through it.

Although portraying something of a nightmarish world there's beauty to be found throughout in their cesspit society of violence and sex, indeed i found the majority of this film erotically charged.

Jubilee is an inventive and experimental work and uses plenty of New Wave music throughout the film (The Slits, Siousxie and the Banshees, Adam Ant, Chelsea) with Amyl Nitrate's (The excellent, Jordan) rendition of Rule Britannia especially memorable.

For me Jubilee is a film to get lost in, to immerse myself in, a time capsule of a long gone era full of an energy not seen since and i think it's brilliant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jubilee_(1977_film)_poster.jpg (26.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th December 2020, 06:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
10 Rillington Place (1971)

The true story of John Reginald Christie set in the grimy streets of post war London. Richard Attenborough as Christie gives a tour-de-force performance that oozes menace throughout.

Part gritty kitchen sink drama and part horror film, 10 Rillington Place and director Richard Fleischer re-create the grittish atmosphere of the time superbly, but the most memorable thing is Attenborough's exercise in terror and despite lacking much in the way of bloodshed, the murders Christie acts out on local women are grueling to watch and extremely effective.

There's barely a chink of light in 10 Rillington Place, it's a movie that is so utterly bleak and is one hell of a spine chiller.

John Christie and Kris Kringle. It's the same fella you know. Let that sink in for a while!
Great British classic film, love films like these extremely well made .

Like this? Share it using the links below!