Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Midnight Sting

James Woods is The Con Man who gets out of Jail and along with Oliver Platt, bets a Town Ruler that his Boxer, played by Louis Gossett JR can beat 10 local Boxers in a day. Fine and fun entertainment.

The Rescuers

One of my favorite Disney Movies in which a pair of Mice set out to rescue a Girl who is being forced to find a priceless Diamond which is located deep in a Cave.

R E S C U E, Rescue Aid Society

Towering Inferno

Paul Newman is The Architect of a large Skyscraper which catches fire and it's up to him and a team of Firemen lead by Steve McQueen to help rescue the occupants. For me, one of the worst things to happen in a Film that's over 150 Minutes is for it to have a slow period and/or it takes a while for The Film to get going as it establishes the main characters and/or plot, thankfully this did not happen, I was thoroughly entertained throughout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ms.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ti.jpg (14.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Neo finds out his life is a lie and he and the rest of humanity are every ready batteries for intelligent machines , he is also told by Morpheus that he is the one , the survivor of mankind.

Amazing action and mind bending fights , with a great cast of characters have us a very unique and enjoyable movie. 10/10

Continuing where the first ended, Neo and co and continuing there quest to save mankind. While not as good as the first and they story is a bit uninspired and all over the place it's still enjoyable with some great action scenes. 7.5/10

A young woman goes to hospital to have tumour checked , said tumour is the spirit of a 400 year old Indian medicine man.

Totally bonkers one minute it's deadly serious and the next it's jumping into carry on territory, mind this seems to be largely Tony Curtis fault as one minute he thinks he's in a horror and the next a comedy . We have some great effects and kills and a psychedelic battle. As I said it's bonkers but enjoyable . 7/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd January 2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 19

The Shuttered Room (1967)

Based on a story by August Derleth and HP Lovecraft, The Shuttered Room tells of Carol Lynley who returns to her New England (It really is new England as it was shot in Norfolk) island childhood home after twenty years with new hubby Gig Young in tow. The old mill house she returns to proves just as creepy and Oliver Reed and his thugs create unwanted tensions.

Similar to both Hammer's The Damned in the way Reed and his cohorts run round terrorizing everyone and also The Beast in the Cellar (1971) although this clearly was made first. It's a pity director David Greene allows the secret of the room at the top of the stairs to be revealed so early on but there's still a sense of tension and malevolent evil throughout even though you kinda' know what's coming.
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A young woman goes to hospital to have tumour checked , said tumour is the spirit of a 400 year old Indian medicine man.

Totally bonkers one minute it's deadly serious and the next it's jumping into carry on territory, mind this seems to be largely Tony Curtis fault as one minute he thinks he's in a horror and the next a comedy . We have some great effects and kills and a psychedelic battle. As I said it's bonkers but enjoyable . 7/10
This is one of my fav movies, daft as it seems though, have you read the the books Treb?
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 3rd January 2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=MrBarlow;643273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

This is one of my fav movies, daft as it seems though, have you read the the books Treb?

Read the books , but been years since I last read them might really read them again. Think Curtis was totally miscast in the role.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=trebor8273;643274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

Read the books , but been years since I last read them might really read them again. Think Curtis was totally miscast in the role.
It's not his best role but did it decently enough.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Default Japanuary #1 #2

I'm only watching Japanese films in January (or at least a Japanese film a day in case I fancy an English language film at some point) and it will therefore be known as Japanuary!

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

A gentle start to the year with one of my favourite Ghibli films. A tale of a 13 year old witch who has to leave home to learn how to be part of society, things get off to rocky start but eventually all ends well

Burst City (1982)

I'm sad to admit that I was pretty disappointed by this one, I really wanted to like it. It's an experimental punk 'musical'-ish set in a post apocalyptic Japan and as far as the story goes there are 2 rival punk gangs, and erm a pack of street bums Vs an organised crime syndicate, I think... It didn't really make sense... There were some great set pieces though, probably around 30 minutes of good footage among the 115 min running time. I'm happy I streamed it on Amazon rather than pay £20 for the disc on a blind buy!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd January 2021, 01:52 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm only watching Japanese films in January (or at least a Japanese film a day in case I fancy an English language film at some point) and it will therefore be known as Japanuary!
Do you speak Japanese, or are you relying on the sub-titles?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Max Cloud (Martin Owen)

New Scott Adkins flick. A mixture of Tron, Jumaji and Gamer. Haven't laughed as much in ages, mainly due to Adkins' character, which is a parody of whom he usually plays (think of a certain space jerk from Futurama etc ). Woke AF, but that just made me laugh even more tbh.
Enjoyed this more than Seized, which was very generic tbh.
Lol! I quite like Adkins, a good dtv star who I hope will cross over with a big hit one day. Just curious, as I don't watch many modern films any more, what sort of stuff are they putting in to make it "woke", lol! I see it all the time in my son's books from school,there's someone from every corner of the world just for the sake of it.

Currently watching Night of the Demon (indicator release), solid M R James adaptation that has terrific pace, atmosphere and acting and remains very creepy!
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Do you speak Japanese, or are you relying on the sub-titles?
I don't speak Japanese, I wish I could... I tried to learn but I can't get my head around the written language which is built around 3 'alphabets'. I can distinguish the 3 but I can't remember what they mean...

I might try again in 2021. I think it would be a skill that I'd get a lot out of.
Susan Foreman and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!