All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2021, 10:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After that Trashcans, I had to watch something made with a real crew ffs

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2021, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Masters of the Universe. 1987.

Warrior He-Man along with Man-at-Arms and Teela are joined by inventor Gwildor to save their planet Eternia and Castle Greyskull from the evil Skeletor, which takes them on a journey to Earth.

Being a big fan of the cartoon and back in 87 I thought this was the next best thing released beside Superman IV and enjoyed it, seeing this now years later it's kinda like "how cheesy is this film now" but still had a guilty pleasure of enjoying it. Frank Langella's portrayal as Skeletor is still the best even though his face is white and not yellow still creepy. Dolph took a step up in his acting from Rocky IV and proved himself as a leading actor. It is same as the cartoon, Skeletor looking to take over the world and getting his ass kicked at the end of it, gool ol' childhood memeories.

MOTU-1987-Promo.jpg
Old 15th January 2021, 10:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Cry Baby (1990, John Waters)

I always preferred this to Hairspray, as tis a tad more "him" imho. The Depp excels as the titular character (did he ever look better??) and the usual suspects line up to lend a hand. Yes, Divine would have been great as his momma, but thems the breaks. Recommended.

I love Cry Baby, I didn't always, and I don't know why. It's one that has a lot of re-watch value and while some-what more sanitised still has a lot of Waters in it!

I believe it's on Amazon Prime so I might put it on, at least the prison scene!
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th January 2021, 10:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

I love Cry Baby, I didn't always, and I don't know why. It's one that has a lot of re-watch value and while some-what more sanitised still has a lot of Waters in it!

I believe it's on Amazon Prime so I might put it on, at least the prison scene!

"...do it ..... do it .... "

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th January 2021, 11:02 AM
Cult Master

91gHdrTcLOL._RI_.jpg

After sleeping late Rachels day is off to a bad start her son is late for school she is late for work and traffic is hell on the road. While stuck in traffic Rachel gets a phone call from a client who is not not happy to be kept wait and tells Rachel her services will no longer be required. Then her son gets a call from his father breaking a promise to take him to a game something they are used to but still as heartbreaking can't this day get any worse? Your damn right it can. Trying to salvage something of the day they decide to take a different route to the school its a bit further away but less traffic so it should be ok SHOULD BE. When waiting at the traffic lights the car in front won't move when the light turns green Rachel start honking aggressively but there is no movement so she goes around and turns into more bad traffic where the driver she honked at catches up with her and apologises for being absent minded but when he asks her to apologise she refuses and he promises that she is going to have the worst day of her life.

What follows is a cat and mouse thrill ride but this is no ordinary cat this is an aggressive rabid Lion. Russel Crowe aint messing about here his eyes are pure evil and his actions match whats going on within his head. This is a violent unrelenting man who has nothing to lose and with nothing to live for that makes him even more dangerous. Unhinged is brutal and fast paced maybe a little predictable but who cares its a fun move even just for Russel Crowe who seems like the sort of person who is capable of something like this in real life so it gives and element of realism to it all.

Well worth a watch.

7/10
Old 15th January 2021, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

7bb33400-2ab8-415c-904b-55f2ef9562a8.jpg

Jordan Turner is an experienced 911 operator who through a rare mistake hears a teens murder on the phone while she is trying to get her help. It takes a lot for her to get back on the job and ironically her next call is dealing with a kidnapped girl and the kidnapper is the killer of the girl from her last call. Jordan will have to overcome her trauma to try and save this girls life.

Really enjoyed this one there are some pretty intense moments and the reactions of the girl who has been kidnapped really makes you feel for her and her situation Abigail Breslin is very believable. Towards the end it did get a little stupid with Jordans actions but then it took a different turn right when i was predicting a clichéd ending which surprised me and gave extra points.

Its well worth a watch and its on Netflix if you have access to that.

7/10
Old 15th January 2021, 01:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Nos, your reviews of the 3 films in Eureka's set are ASTOUNDING (as are your reviews in general), I just wanted to say thank you for such brief but insightful reviews. I loathe modern reviewers who all seem to have seen about 3 films in their life & miss the days when critics would have at least a good grasp of CINEMA HISTORY (not celebrity problems on twitter) or at least SEEN A SH+TLOAD OF FILMS.

Many great reviewers on here, but just now, reading yours reminded me of happier times. This is probably completely off topic, so in keeping....

Currently watching the Greg Mank commentary on Cat People, a great listen, like the universal horror classics ones. More people who know & love movies on commentaries, please, less academics.
That's very kind of you.

Old 15th January 2021, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Bloody Judge (1970)

Producer Harry Alan Towers and director Jess Franco's impressive nod to Witchfinder General, starring Christopher Lee as as Judge George Jeffreys, a womanizing witchfinder.

The film is very loosely based on a real life judge from the 1600's - the aforementioned George Jeffreys, who actually was neither witch hunter or womanizer. He was however chief magistrate during the reign of King James II, a king who put to death many alleged witches during his reign, and infamously known as The Hanging Judge.

A strong cast - Lee, Leo Genn, Maria Schell, Maria Rohm and Howard Vernon together with some well staged battle scenes make this top tier Franco.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blind Fury. 1989.

Nick, American soldier blinded in a attack in Vietnam is rescued by native villagers who train him in sword fighting. Years later he returns to America to find his war buddy Frank only to find out he he is paying off his debt to a drug mobster. Along with Frank's son Billy and Frank's girlfriend they try to rescue him.

I got this on tape back in early 90s as a double pack film with The Punisher and this started my appreciation for Rutger Hauer and shows he can be a master swordsman, comical and blind as a bat. Terry O'Quinn stars as frank and strange seeing him play a good guy as i remembered him from The Stepfather films.

The fight/action sequences are nicely done heck even Seagal doesn't hold a light to Hauer's movements with a sword. Only draw back for me was the end fight with Sho Kusugi, that could have been filmed for a bit longer than what it was, even the end is a almost nod to the westerns, a lone guy fighting for what's right then vanishes to the desert sort of thing. Still a great movie.

BlindFuryposter.jpg
Old 15th January 2021, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jiu Jitsu (2020, Dimitri Logothetis)

Tony Jaa? Frank Grillo?? Nicolas Cage ???
A flick that is best not too deeply analysed tbh. Fun while it lasted.
Cage does the grizzled loner bit, Grillo as stoic as always and I would have liked it more if Jaa was the lead. With Cory Yuen directing.
Ahem.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!