Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2021, 12:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Amityville Playhouse. 2015.

Fawn inherits a playhouse, along with her friends they decide to check it out, they find a girl seeking shelter. When they realise they can't get out they decide to spend the night unaware of what will happen. Fawn's teacher decides to look at the town's history and tries to help her escape a dark fate that may come on her and her friends.

:Note to self: see a house that the side looks it has a face don't buy it, nor move to the town of Amityville.

Ah the joys of cash in title movies, this did seem a bit decent story line, a guy squeezing a scab that spurts puss, very cheap make up and a ending that is messed up. The actors really didn't seem to put much effort in this, they must have realised it was a dud movie that wouldn't bring in potential for their careers.

These may be out of sync with release fates etc i'm going through prime's listings bare with me.

MV5BMTQ1MTg3NjA0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODUxNTE1NDE@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th January 2021, 10:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

You're a braver man than most for watching all of these films back to back lol, well done!
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2021, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Rogue (2020)

Mercenary's on a mission and a killer animal flick, Rogue is an enjoyable exploitation fusion that has anti human trafficking and animal abuse messages at it's heart.

A thrilling opening half hour flies by at a breakneck pace as Megan Fox (Yes, really) and her team of mercs rescue three school girls from the clutches of people trafficking jihadi's somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa. Not only do they have to contend with holing up at a disused lion farm surrounded by a small army of angry insurgents but also being picked off one by one by an extremely pissed off CG lioness.

I can't imagine Megan Fox would be anyone's first choice for a movie such as this but she's more than decent and director M.J. Bassett (Wilderness, Deathwatch, Solomon Kane) is pretty adept at this sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoguePoster.jpg (100.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th January 2021, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
You're a braver man than most for watching all of these films back to back lol, well done!
Thanks Justin
Old 20th January 2021, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Amityville Terror. 2016.

Todd and Jessica with their daughter Hailey decide to live with Todd's sister Shea in a old house on Amityville Street. Things start to take a turn for the worst and secrets of the town begin to emerge.

This wasn't the greatest film nor the worst, it does have a slow build up to tense moments, the acting is a bit better but not by much though, there is a added element of a twist involving witchcraft which was a little predictable. The visual effects looks like very badly cheaply done CGI that was poorly executed and laughable but helped to keep me entertained. Don't be fooled by the front cover, the house on the cover isn't the same as the house in the film.

download.jpeg
Old 20th January 2021, 11:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Is there any continuity between these sequels or could you just watch any of them and it doesn't really matter?

I saw the first one which is pretty good and the 2nd one which a lot of people love but I didn't and I never bothered after that. Some of these sound pretty good though, some sound rubbish!

Which ones would you recommend as worthy of 90 mins?
MrBarlow likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2021, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Amityville Asylum. 2013.

Lisa begins a new cleaning job in the psychiatric hospital High Hopes in Amityville but the place isn't what it seems top be.

This starts off with the Defeo killings, kudos for that one, and their front garden sign High Hopes which is the name of the hospital, this I thought would have potential...I was so very wrong, not the best cinematography, the acting was very dry and wooden that i thought something was wrong as when the actors talked it was at a snail pace like trying to set up tense moments that never happened, out of most of these films were made in America/Canada this one was made in England, surely us Brits can make a decent film with the title.

download (1).jpeg
Old 20th January 2021, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Is there any continuity between these sequels or could you just watch any of them and it doesn't really matter?

I saw the first one which is pretty good and the 2nd one which a lot of people love but I didn't and I never bothered after that. Some of these sound pretty good though, some sound rubbish!

Which ones would you recommend as worthy of 90 mins?
Amityville II does look at the Defeo family only names have changed, Amityville III is more proper sequel as it looks at the sceptics of the Lutz story, 4th movie along with It's about time and New Generation are from Short stories about house hold objects that are cursed, It's About Time was really good, I have never actually done all the films back to back. The first three films are worth 90 minutes, third is on youtube if you don't have it along with Amityville Curse, I had to get the rest on Amazon Prime. I was looking forward to the remake due to the cast but didn't really enjoy it. If you do watch them Justin hope you enjoy them.

Cursed and Dollhouse are the weaker installments, Amityville Haunting, Playhouse, Terror and Asylum are more cash in movies with the title
Old 20th January 2021, 03:47 PM
Active Cultist

Xtro doesn't need any introduction I'm sure - 1st time watching, and was impressed with the special effects, the story itself it's ok - and it's always nice to see Maryam d'Abo on the screen
Old 20th January 2021, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ach, you'll grow to love it G
Graveyard likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!