Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th April 2013 12:11 PM

I've only seen the first three films from the Saw franchise. The original is pretty solid (some sloppy dialogue aside), the second was average, and I didn't care too much for the third... it started stretching the story to increasingly absurd limits just as an excuse to get lots of innovative 'trap deaths' shoe-horned in - which is how I felt about The Collector.

I have no desire (at present) to check out any more of the Saw films.

bdc 6th April 2013 01:26 PM

You really should imho BE as they're not bad at all (there's many twists and turns as the franchise gradually turns into a dark thriller series) except for 7 (3D) which I found very disappointing and not the ending I envisioned at all.
I hope there will be an 8 to rectify this and make 7 into just another part where nothing was like it seemed. ;)

mercury 6th April 2013 02:16 PM

Frankenweenie.....nice film from Tim Burton. I do prefer stop motion compared to computer animated films as I feel they create more depth. The score is lovely as well.

PaulD 6th April 2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 333681)
You really should imho BE as they're not bad at all (there's many twists and turns as the franchise gradually turns into a dark thriller series) except for 7 (3D) which I found very disappointing and not the ending I envisioned at all.
I hope there will be an 8 to rectify this and make 7 into just another part where nothing was like it seemed. ;)

The fourth one was good and an interesting way of continuing the trilogy after the error of giving your charismatic antagonist a terminal illness but the fifth part was like a poor TV movie as far as I'm concerned. The sixth was ok but still stretches credibility to breaking point and the seventh was dismal.

troggi 6th April 2013 03:29 PM

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

Originally free with PlayNation I have had a copy on two different occasions, lent it out and lost it. I picked it up again today in the British Heart Foundation for 99p and this copy is going nowhere!

This has to be one of my favourite daikaijû with it's Chemical Brothers-lite-alike music and it's schoolgirl heroine over-dubbed with the voice of a 26 year old bored Essex shoe sales woman.

Favourite moment; when Gamera is ripping the roof off of the Tokyo baseball stadium and a soldier screams "Go home, there's nothing to see here!" just the usual everyday goings on in urban Japan, eh?

:rockon:

jiraffejustin 6th April 2013 03:50 PM

Not a film, but I just finished up Twin Peaks. It's the most unique television show I've ever seen. It's a soap opera, it's a comedy, it's a mystery, it's a thriller, it's surreal, it's David Lynch. It's awesome.

Linbro 6th April 2013 04:05 PM

'Fistful of Dollars' + all the extras. The filmed by someone else, made for tv prologue is terrible! Thankfully it was only ever broadcast once!
Great film, I'd forgotten how dark and violent it is. Going to try and watch 'For a Few Dollars More' this week.

demonknight 6th April 2013 04:24 PM

The Godfather 2 and a Documentary on Ed Gein.
Great stuff both of them :eek:

jiraffejustin 6th April 2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 333708)
The Godfather 2 and a Documentary on Ed Gein.
Great stuff both of them :eek:

Ed Gein is an interesting fellow. The nipple belt is one of the more bizarre things I've ever heard of.

troggi 6th April 2013 10:44 PM

http://www.andyerupts.com/wp-content...priest-dvd.jpg

Sci-fi vampire hokum. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a couple of the featurettes on the disc, great value at £3 in Tesco.:happy:

monkeyscreams 6th April 2013 11:38 PM

Death laid an egg (1968)
Gina Lollobrigida, eggs, chickens, avant garde music by Bruno Maderna, giallo, bizarreness and more in a blender. Result: Death laid an egg! I don't know what to think of it. But I will watch it again later.

Edgeworth 6th April 2013 11:44 PM

Man With The Iron Fists

It was ok, was expecting less 'cause everyone said it was terrible. It's just a big budget B movie. Most of the acting is bad, especially RZA. The Iron Fists are hilarious, they remind me of those toy Incredible Hulk fists you can get. Most of the gore is CGI. :( & so is most of Batista. Russell Crowe.. lol. Why would he agree to that role?
And half the movie is set in a whore house but no boobies. C'MON!

The fights and costumes are fun though, I did enjoy wathing it. Just don't blow your money on the movie because of the amazing looking steelbook is all!

jiraffejustin 7th April 2013 04:10 AM

I just watched Seven Samurai. I am beginning to think Akira Kurosawa is the best director to ever live, and this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I am afraid I will go into hyperbole, but Seven Samurai is just that good.

SShaw 7th April 2013 11:51 AM

I watched the DVD of The Veteran that I picked up yesterday. Perfectly acceptable low budget thriller concerning an ex-paratrooper who is recruited by the security services and becomes involved in untangling a conspiracy between the local drug dealers and a moslem terrorist cell.

this morning I completed my revisit of Lynch"s films with the Lost Highway from the blu-ray box set. Excellent.

And this evening two excellent films, the classic Night of the Hunter (a very nice DVD/Bluray combo media book - German text I'm afraid) and the more recent Australian film The Hunter.

gag 7th April 2013 02:08 PM

Shotgun wedding found it to be dull and boring and even when something was happening it just couldn't grab your attention not sure if anyone was well known but comes across as a cheep badly made home movie.

Return to house on haunted hill another dull and boring film trying to cash on a old classic and was really a pointless attempt not up to much.

keirarts 7th April 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 333840)
I just watched Seven Samurai. I am beginning to think Akira Kurosawa is the best director to ever live, and this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I am afraid I will go into hyperbole, but Seven Samurai is just that good.

Magnificent seven is better! :behindsofa:

troggi 7th April 2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 333936)

FIGHT!!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th April 2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

You'd better hide!

Hawkmonger 7th April 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 333840)

For me Kurosawa IS the best director of all time.

Prince_Vajda 7th April 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Agreed. :coolblue:

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

Prince_Vajda 7th April 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 333946)

Nope. :coolblue:

trebor8273 7th April 2013 04:19 PM

Robot jox
Children of the corn
Subspecies 2 blu
Star Trek TOS blu
Kingpin

keirarts 7th April 2013 04:22 PM

I dont disagree kurosawa is a great director, I love RAN. I just think with magnificent seven and fistful of dollars other directors improved improved upon his work, and with magnificent seven added 'humanity' for want of a better word, to the filmmaking.

Controversial I suppose but I much prefer Kinji Fukasaku, ishiro honda and a lot of the 'b' directors of material like lone wolf and cub, the streetfighter movies, lady snowblood, most of sonny chibas output to kurosawa.

jiraffejustin 7th April 2013 04:53 PM

I saw Magnificent Seven before Samurai, but I still think Seven Samurai is superior in every facet. Magnificent Seven is a little bit of a misnomer, it should be called Pretty Good Seven. :tongue1:

keirarts 7th April 2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 333967)
I saw Magnificent Seven before Samurai, but I still think Seven Samurai is superior in every facet. Magnificent Seven is a little bit of a misnomer, it should be called Pretty Good Seven. :tongue1:

I'm aware i'm in the minority, its just Kurosawa is one of those directors I always felt liked i'm supposed to like because academics tell me, when I watch his stuff its good but it dosent really inspire or entertain. I can sit through most of his stuff, (aside from ikiru which is sentimental self induldgent shite) but mostly i'd rather be watching godzilla, lone wolf and cub, karate warriors or battle without honour or humanity. Its all personal taste at the end of the day.:nod:

troggi 7th April 2013 06:58 PM

Story Time - A cutout animation by Terry Gilliam - YouTube

Sorry but I've just watched this absurd animation by Terry Gilliam for the first time in... well...is it really?...well I never...since The Life of Brian first came out in British cinemas

:clap:

bdc 7th April 2013 07:07 PM

Viewed since my last "recently viewed" post:

http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg

http://moon.cf2.letterboxd.com/asset...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.cf2.letterboxd.com/asse...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.cf2.letterboxd.com/assets/...0-222-crop.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th April 2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 333949)

Who do you consider to be the greatest director of all time then?

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th April 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 334013)

I can answer that one.......Howard Hawks.

gag 7th April 2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 333946)

Tbh never heard of him ill have to wikipedia him.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th April 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 334028)
Tbh never heard of him ill have to wikipedia him.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rik 7th April 2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 334015)
I can answer that one.......Howard Hawks.

I'm sure this said John Ford earlier :lol:

Hawkmonger 7th April 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 333949)

GTFO! :tongue1:
To be fair, although predictable, he's up there with Cronenberg, Kubrick, Mayazaki, Brass, Argento and Roeg.

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th April 2013 09:28 PM

Chronicle (2012) Don't especially like the 'found footage' format but quite enjoyed this.
There Will Be Blood (2007) Bit overlong but OK

Prince_Vajda 7th April 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 334013)

There's no such guy. There are only good directors and bad directors.

gag 7th April 2013 09:31 PM

Keep you debate up that way I can google directors I've never never heard of or took much notice of and then keep a watch out for some of their films,
Tbh a lot of times I just watch films and not take much notice of directors etc but google some of these I thought I wasn't to sure of I have heard and seen some films from them.
I need to REALY brush up my knowledge but to be totally honest I'm more of a film watcher and collector than knowledge knower and don't always take much notice of a lot of directors or films and who they been directed by

Rik 7th April 2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 334035)
There's no such guy. There are only good directors and bad directors.

Exactly my thoughts on this. :nod:

gag 7th April 2013 09:46 PM

I'm not a James Bond fan and general don't watch them and when I do I'm not really keen so don't watch many. But because so many people have gone on about skyfall so far I've managed not to bother watching it till tonight,
And I highly enjoyed thought it was a very good film but at same time didn't even tho it had 007 trates it didn't feel like you was Actually watching a James Bond film.l

Frankie Teardrop 7th April 2013 09:48 PM

THALE - Latter day myth-referencing horror-fantasy from Norway. Two crime scene operatives / cleaners mop up in someone's basement only to find a fairytale entity in the form of a naked chick with a tail. I instantly liked the feel and tone of this one although I'm going to have to watch it again because my mind was a bit scrambled when I sat down with it. It's very lean and minimal and conjures a dreamy, hazy atmosphere. There's a lack of full-on physical horror although I recall a couple of scenes as being quite nightmarish. Definitely worth watching.

NIGHT OF THE COMET - I've seen this a few times over the years, and I've always dismissed it as being slight and a bit dull. But when I watched it the other day, it really grabbed me. I don't know why - it was like I was watching a whole other film. Maybe my tastes have changed a little, but this time around I found the none-more eighties texture totally captivating. I mean its eightiesness is so pungent it's practically hallucinogenic - all that neon, stylised lighting and synth music, completely overdriven here and pushed to the max. Truly beyond parody / homage, even for the kind of suckers who probably thought NOTC was supercool for a few seconds when they saw it back in 2009. Anyway, it also has Mary Woronov as a reptilian scientist, which pushes it from great to amazing in my book (which is obviously no best seller).

THE HILLS RUN RED - Ludicrous but entertaining 'meta-slasher' about a long lost backwoods horror flick from 1982. Slimey film school grad pursues maker of said film and ends up in a forest with director's stripper daughter and a murderous freak with a baby mask. A reasonable quota of gore and mild sleaze follows. I thought it dragged a little in the middle, but picked up again to deliver the goods despite some ridiculous and conventional 'twists'. Very often I ask for little more than some good imagery, some bloodshed and a vaguely sordid atmosphere, so in this case I was more than happy.

THE RED MONKS - Sorry to say that this isn't really up to the dubious 'standards' of late eighties last-gasp Italian horror trash. I mean, it's come to something when you come away from a movie thinking "well, that was no Ghosthouse..." If you're a completist, you've probably seen it anyway. Basically, there's a castle with some evil red monks in it. They don't really do much apart from float across the screen as part of an overlay during a sex attack. Now, if the whole thing had been like that... unfortunately, the "dull aristocrats talking and arguing" to "psychedelic perv weirdness" ratio is heavily weighted in favour of the former quantity.

gag 7th April 2013 09:49 PM

Tbh honest with the film knowledge of a lot of people on here I'm surprised someone hasn't applied to be on pointless because a good 9 out of 10 times at the end there is always a category on films directors actor or something along that lines,