Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's entertaining enough. T'was my second viewing of it tonight. I'll stick my neck out and say it's better than anything you've watched today.
Well that would not be hard
Old 1st February 2021, 11:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Nightingale. 2018.

1825 Tasmania, Clare a young Irish woman beaten, raped and widowed by British soldiers and her baby killed goes after those who wronged her with Billy, a Aboriginal orphan as a guide. Marked with trauma's of their past, the two fight to overcome distrusts and prejudice during The Black War.

After seeing a clip of this I went into this with a blind watch and this was tough to sit through with the first part of violence, nothing new I haven't seen but it can be difficult. Aisling Franciosi did bring a solid performance as Clare who is hell bent on revenge and will go to lengths to get it, Baykali Ganambarr plays the guide Billy who hates "the whites" for what they have done to his people and slowly builds up trust to one person.

Jennifer Kent who wrote and directed this film, did do a lot of research on The Black War and brought her interpretation to the film and almost how accurate British Colonist treated those around them and will do anything to take the land away as well as treating the locals without any pity. I'm not sure if I would say yes this is recommended but on the other hand I would say no due to the story line, If you want a decent solid film with great acting and 2 hours to spare then this film may suit you.

AAAABYnBNg4h9h8zUEmQkogIfW1SLXXKBFvz8J_GEZreJddINIy6-cJH1aVvE5JiB24BCTlnbJQHcc3_m3P8mYM_A-O4syA-.jpg
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Brilliant slasher This has potential to be the benchmark I compare other slashers to. It has everything - a true classic of the genre.

IMG_8356.jpg

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

This was the first real3D movie i ever saw at the cinema and it blew my mind! It was such great fun to see a slasher in 3D. Watching it again in regular old 2D some 12(!!) years later, I think it holds up as a great slasher movie. At the start it feels a bit *“made for TV”, but it soon finds its pace and you can settle into it. I’m glad I waited so long to watch it as I’d forgotten the kill scenes and the unmasking. The movie has a few spectacular kills which you can tell we’re designed to be viewed in 3D, but I don’t think they lose anything from the 2D alternative.

IMG_8355.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Shot (2010, Hugo Konig)

For a change, I watched deux French clods traipse around an abandoned asylum .............. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .................. WAKE UP !!!!

Done apparently in one take. Probably??
Welcome to the world of "urban exploration" or as we call it, breaking and entering
Really liked the yellow subtitles. Suffice to say, the place has a history, which could have been less spoonfed to me cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:16 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Brilliant slasher This has potential to be the benchmark I compare other slashers to. It has everything - a true classic of the genre.

Attachment 231024

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

This was the first real3D movie i ever saw at the cinema and it blew my mind! It was such great fun to see a slasher in 3D. Watching it again in regular old 2D some 12(!!) years later, I think it holds up as a great slasher movie. At the start it feels a bit *“made for TV”, but it soon finds its pace and you can settle into it. I’m glad I waited so long to watch it as I’d forgotten the kill scenes and the unmasking. The movie has a few spectacular kills which you can tell we’re designed to be viewed in 3D, but I don’t think they lose anything from the 2D alternative.

Attachment 231025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never got to see the 3D version of My Bloody Valentine which is a shame i love Friday 3D its alot of fun.
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Never got to see the 3D version of My Bloody Valentine which is a shame i love Friday 3D its alot of fun.
Isn't the blu 3d?

The dvd is. It's not bad at all even though i'm not usually keen on that early red/blue kind of 3d.
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Isn't the blu 3d?

The dvd is. It's not bad at all even though i'm not usually keen on that early red/blue kind of 3d.
The one I have has the proper 'true-3D' on it but I don't have a 3D TV so no chance for me to watch it, I think the earlier version had the older red/green 3D and my box does have 2 pairs of glasses in it too

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd February 2021, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's February 2nd , so that means my annual viewing of one of my favourite Bill Murray films.

Murray plays Phil Connors a Weatherman who is sent to report of the ground Hog Festival for the fifth year. He awakens the next day it's Ground Hog day once again and so is the next and the next.

At first he likes it as he can do what ever he wants, but then grows disillusioned an depressed after a number of suicide attempts , he sets he goals in winning the heart of his producer and make himself a better person in the proccese.

Always enjoyed this film , so much so that I watched everyday for about a week when it came out too the pictures.

It's is based on a real event in a real town, have been to it when I was a kid and yes the place is called Gobblers Knob! 10/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd February 2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Slight but fun. Karen's nice in it.
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She was the best thing in it personally. Not just visually either
iank likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!