All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2021, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Dark Half (1993)

Timothy Hutton gives an excellent performance as a novelist who makes the bulk of his money via violent thrillers published under a pen name. A run in with a blackmailer makes Hutton decide to give up and 'kill off' his alter-ego in an elaborate publicity drive, but somehow his pseudonym comes to life and begins a series of bloody murders.

As well as Hutton, Michael Rooker is on equally top form as Hutton's cop friend investigating the deaths which all lead back to Hutton.

It's well acted throughout and George A Romero, who wrote the script (Based on a Stephen King novel) and also directs, deserves credit for producing a finely crafted and thoughtful horror thriller when it could easily have descended into lunacy under a lesser director.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-dark-half.jpg (99.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th February 2021, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Easily the worst of the series up till now, a group of aliens intend to take over earth but first they need to kill with Gamera, all sounds good but most of the movie is flashback too the other films while the rest is spent with two annoying kids. It's not till the last 15 minutes of so that anything happens. Poor compared to the others,by far the best part is when Gamera is using Viras as a surfboard! 5/10

This was a lot better than I was expecting, well directed, tense and atmospheric with good acting from most involved , especially Wings Hauser whom was brilliantly unhinged. I did find Meg Fosters character annoying at times especially when she keeps talking too herself. 7.8/10

This was the complete opposite of The wind, it was dreadful terrible acting and direction , no sense of drama or tension and all the characters where unlikable. A very poor slasher. 4/10

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th February 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 8th February 2021, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nekrotronic (2018, Kiah Roache-Turner)

What's a man to do when he finds out his lineage isn't as mired in shit as he thought?
Well, don't hold your breath because the fun is just about to start.
An unusual take on family this one. Or was it just tacked on to pander I wonder? Hmmm. Some fun here and there, but twas a tad predictable when it all comes down to it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th February 2021, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cage II: Arena Of Death

Billy (Lou Ferringo) is kidnapped by Chinese Triads and is led to believe that Scott has died. He is tricked into going back into fighting in illegal Cage Fights which are being run by the same person as last time. Scott is then recruited by Interpol into taking down The Triads and save Billy. I loved the original, it's one of my favorite movies and this one isn't bad as an original film. Compared to the original, this one has cheesier lines and doesn't have the feel.

Angel Town

Olivier Gruner is a French Kick Boxer who goes to a L.A. University but ends up staying at a house where the family is terrorized by a Street Gang. With the help of friend who teaches Karate, he assists the Son who the gang want to initiate. This is one of those late 80's - early 90's Martial Art films (Distributed by VPD) that would populate Video Shops and this is one of those hidden gems you would find in said stores. Luckily, I rented a lot of VPD Films and would have seen the trailer. I was not disappointed when I rented it and I wasn't disappointed again when I watched the DVD (Even though it was a German Import and the cover was in German)

If someone like 88 Films would like to get the UK Blu-Ray rights, I would purchase it.

Raw Force

A boat containing members of a Karate School, A L.A. Swat Team member amongst others end up on an Island which contain Cannibalistic Monks and Zombie Kung Fu Warriors along with Slave Traders who sell The Monks Women to be food so thy can raise the dead. As this had a crazy write-up, I didn't know what to expect, I was entertained but it was more comedic than I imagined. When I see this a 2nd time (Which won't be forever) I'll have a better handle on what to expect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cIIaod.jpg (10.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg at.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rf.jpg (15.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th February 2021, 09:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (5).jpg
THE ELECTRIC HORSEMAN (1979)

Robert Redford plays Sonny Steele who used to be a popular world rodeo champion. Now reduced to soul destroying appearances as 'The Electric Horseman' advertising breakfast cereal, Sonny spends most of the time drunk.
When asked to appear with a 12 million race horse, he notices that the horse is drugged to appear on stage. Sonny steals the horse, and together with reporter Jane Fonda and the police in pursuit, Sonny plans to release the horse in to the wild..
Good movie. A nice feel good and light-hearted film with with a good music score and songs by country singer Willie Nelson.
Old 8th February 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Uncle Buck (1989)

An enjoyable comedy from the John Hughes production line that allows the greatly missed John Candy to shine as the titular uncle asked to look after his brother's kids for a week.

Some of the humour falls flat and some of it seems out of place - 'Do you know any dildo jokes?'- but on the whole this still stands up thirty years later.

Might this have been Macaulay Culkin's springboard to the role of Home Alone's Kevin McCallister? Both Miles in this and Kevin share similar traits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle_buck.jpg (25.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th February 2021, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Driller Killer. 1979.

A down on his luck artist, fed up can't make a sale, his room mates and a band that play music night and day decides to take his frustrations on the derelicts of the the streets.

I saw first saw this in early 90s and didn't quite appreciate it and it seemed daft, when it appeared up in front of me again decided to give it a re-watch, second time round more appreciative. If there is a thin line between exploitation and art cinema this film seems to serve it up. A angry man takes his frustrations out on homeless and defenceless people might be below the belt, the character and slow decent into insanity is well played out by Abel Ferrara, for a low budget the blood used is decently done, glad I gave this a second viewing.

F5234F9E-ED13-4849-BB9C-479904D71791.jpg
Old 9th February 2021, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Driller Killer. 1979.

A down on his luck artist, fed up can't make a sale, his room mates and a band that play music night and day decides to take his frustrations on the derelicts of the the streets.

I saw first saw this in early 90s and didn't quite appreciate it and it seemed daft, when it appeared up in front of me again decided to give it a re-watch, second time round more appreciative. If there is a thin line between exploitation and art cinema this film seems to serve it up. A angry man takes his frustrations out on homeless and defenceless people might be below the belt, the character and slow decent into insanity is well played out by Abel Ferrara, for a low budget the blood used is decently done, glad I gave this a second viewing.

Attachment 231212
If I'm correct It was more to do with the original cover which helped it get noticed and onto the video nasties list.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 9th February 2021, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dario Argento's Dracula (2012)

Blood, boobs, giant praying mantis, garlic bullets, terrible CGI, a card board cut out railway station, obscenely bright digital photography...

...and yet i still kinda like this movie.

Kind of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 136025h1.jpg (87.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 9th February 2021, 10:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Erik The Viking. 1989.

Erik and his band of men travel to find Valhalla and ask the gods to end the age of Ragnarok.

Just imagine a viking not being happy with pillaging, killing and raping and seriously thinking where it would all end and how, Terry Jones gave us just that with this little comedy flick. Tim Robbins plays the viking Erik who seems to want peace in Ragnarok and speaks to a wise woman Eartha Kitt and sets sail while being pursued by John Cleese. Right from the start Terry Jones had me in stitches and even makes a appearance as a king of a island who can't sing. With a decent assortment cast this is entertainment from the 80s at it's best.

MV5BMDRjMWU2ZTYtNGM3NS00NmM5LWE5OWMtZDMwMWJhYTY5NGUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!