All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2021, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dario Argento's Dracula (2012)

Blood, boobs, giant praying mantis, garlic bullets, terrible CGI, a card board cut out railway station, obscenely bright digital photography...

...and yet i still kinda like this movie.

Kind of.
Great poster that. Shame about the movie.
Old 10th February 2021, 05:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

3874.jpg
MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (1993)

When an elderly neigbours wife dies suddenly, Diane Keaton turns detective as she finds the husband acting suspicious.
At first Keaton's husband Woody Allen does not believe her but soon events turn and Keaton, Allen and friends Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston come up with a plan to trap the killer..
Great comedy with a usual terrific turn by Diane Keaton and one liners by Woody Allen.
Old 10th February 2021, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Curse of the Devil (1973)

As with most of Paul Naschy's wolfman films The Curse of the Devil aka The Return of Walpurgis plays like an A-Z of Gothic horror. From the opening scenes of sacrificial witchcraft to the sumptuous castle settings, this film looks stunning. The great Paul Naschy is a commanding screen presence and dominates each scene he appears, be it the caring Waldemar or the ferocious wolfman.

The film is awash with gorgeous girls all seemingly unperturbed by nudity or Naschy's chest rug. Make up artist Fernando Florido has his work cut out creating several gory sequences, from stabbings and bites to faces being ripped off, its all here, no wonder the film was cut in many countries. Francisco Sanchez must also receive a credit due to his excellent cinematography, creating some wonderful panoramic vistas especially during the opening castle witch hangings
Old 10th February 2021, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kong: Skull Island, 2017.

After the Vietnam War, group of people along with some U.S. soldiers explore a uncharted island and soon find King Kong and other monsters, along with a pilot who crashed there in 1944.

Second time seeing this and enjoyed it as much the first time seeing it, okay the acting from some does seem a bit wooden at times but you can't deny the effects that were made even for Kong himself looks decent. Some of the plot seems daft and a little bit funny that doesn't go over the top but there are some familiar faces in this.

John Goodman and Corey Corey Hawkins play the company guys who want finance for their expedition and hire Tom Hiddleston as a guide, Samuel L. Jackson plays the colonel who leads a team in to the island and finds the truth about it and wages a war man against beast and John C. Reilly as the 19944 pilot who survived the island. Entertaining.

MV5BMTUwMzI5ODEwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjAzNjI2MDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th February 2021, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters. 2019.

Crypto-zoological agency Monarch develop a machine that can awaken mythical creatures they call Titans and control them but their idea goes wrong when all the creatures are awoken at once and fight against each other.

If the CGI can work, then it can and does work for this one, the creatures did take their time and made them more believable from all those monster myths legends and stories, having said that this was a long two hour movie. Will hold my hands up was never a big fan of the Godzilla movies even the 1990s film, the 2014 movie I took a chance and enjoyed it and was sceptical about this one but a second viewing never hurts.

220px-Godzilla_–_King_of_the_Monsters_(2019)_poster.jpg
Old 10th February 2021, 08:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sleepwalkers (1992)

I feel I might cause some controversy with this one...

I really like the idea of Stephen King films, but in reality I always end up feeling like there should be more to them - they’re a bit thin. Maybe it’s because he crams so much detail into his books that there is just far too much information to try and condense his entire vision into 90 mins*or whatever, but then they remove so much stuff that they only leave themselves with enough material to do a 30 minute episode.

IMG_8576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th February 2021, 08:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Sleepwalkers wasn't based on a book. It was an original script by King.
Old 11th February 2021, 12:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lights Out. 2016.

Sophie, a single parent to Rebecca and Martin, Martin who doesn't sleep much sees's Sophie speaking to herself but Sophie is not alone and Martin tells Rebecca that unlocks her childhood fears and goes in search of Sophie's friend Diana's background.

If anyone was afraid of the dark don't be...just be afraid of what's in the dark. This was a enjoyable supernatural chiller, very simple tale from start to finish that doesn't get confusing just more engaging, it's not the edge of your seat horror but does have it's expect the unexpected jump scenes and decent acting. Like the title it is best watched with the lights out due to the tone of the film.

movieposter.jpg
Old 11th February 2021, 12:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Sleepwalkers wasn't based on a book. It was an original script by King.

Haha! Well there you go. He can’t even get ‘poorly summarised’ as an excuse for his films! (Creepshow not included )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th February 2021, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Love Bites (2001)

Aka Les morsures de l'aube and directed by Antoine de Caunes who i know better from Rapido and Eurotrash.

Love Bites is a bit of an oddball movie. Guillaume Canet plays a wannabe socialite who blags his way into upper class Parisian parties and finds himslef blackmailed into tracking down the elusive 'Jordan' and his sister Violaine (Asia Argento).

The film has a surreal edge to it and is slightly reminiscent of the vampire films of Jean Rollin as Canet's life spirals out of control on a downward slope. It feels whilst watching that either de Caunes or the producers didn't have the balls to go all out decadent and lacked something in the sleaze and violence departments. The parties and clubs visited are slightly risque but that's about it. I feel de Caunes should have gone with a mixture of Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and Schumacher's 8MM, instead what we have is a PG13 mash up of the two.

Asia Argento's vampish er' vamp is wasted and only has a couple of elongated but memorable scenes as the film seemingly struggled with it's identity. Does it want to be a gangster film, a vampire film, a drama or a straight up horror? And yet it's unevenness also makes it watchable as i'd forgotten what was coming next as it's been well over ten years since i last saw the movie. Having said that, the film looks great and certainly has it's moments including a vampire seduction that plays beautifully with the Jonathan Harker / vampire brides idea from Dracula.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51CE2WGEC9L.jpg (40.8 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!