Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2010, 10:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan73 View Post
Just watched the wonderful T-Force (1995) on VHS. Great rip-off of Universal Soldier, directed by Richard Pepin!
this is on Movies4Men in 55 minutes, got my sky plus set to record...
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:16 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
this is on Movies4Men in 55 minutes, got my sky plus set to record...
Enjoy!
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Just watched

The Crazies (Remake)

I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed this! The action/horror starts within the first 5 minutes, so there is no hanging around. The whole tone and atmosphere of the movie was very well captured. I haven't seen Romero's for eons, so can't really remember how close this was, but it deserves to stand up by itself really. Not bad at all.
Yeah for a remake it wasn't bad much better than the other turds they have been dropping on us recently.

Last edited by Gigantor; 2nd August 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Legend of Drunken Master (Drunken Master 2) Blu-ray arrived today. Just finished watching it and Oh My God is that film just phenomenal or what? If you haven't seen it then you must.... like right now. It has some of THE most incredibly jaw dropping hand to hand fight scenes ever put to film. As for picture quality, well I'm blown away. I know I own the poor quality Hong Kong VHS release so whatever I see is going to be a drastic improvement from that but I really thought it was a great transfer. Sharp, colourful and clear but still with it's essential grain. What more could you want from a release like this. Easily a 5 out of 5 film.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
The Legend of Drunken Master (Drunken Master 2) Blu-ray arrived today. Just finished watching it and Oh My God is that film just phenomenal or what? If you haven't seen it then you must.... like right now. It has some of THE most incredibly jaw dropping hand to hand fight scenes ever put to film. As for picture quality, well I'm blown away. I know I own the poor quality Hong Kong VHS release so whatever I see is going to be a drastic improvement from that but I really thought it was a great transfer. Sharp, colourful and clear but still with it's essential grain. What more could you want from a release like this. Easily a 5 out of 5 film.
i picked up Police Story and Drunken Master 1 the other day, was looking for this but couldn't find one. Apparently the US disc is cut by some 22 minutes.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i picked up Police Story and Drunken Master 1 the other day, was looking for this but couldn't find one. Apparently the US disc is cut by some 22 minutes.
It's never been released in the UK. I had to import the US Blu-ray. It is cut but I don't think it's by that much. I was under the impression that it was just the end "Special Needs" scene that people found offensive. I have the uncut version on VHS and I don't think it was that different (although I haven't seen the film in years).
There's no way you'll be able to get the uncut DVD as it's an extremely rare OOP R0 Non-Anamorphic Hong Kong release, you'd be better off getting the US Blu-ray. It really is worth it, only about a tenner on Amazon Marketplace.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

cheers for the info Ant, gonna have to pick it up soon.
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think it is more like 22 seconds cut in the US release of DM2. The final sequence that shows Jackie (In typical HK humourless OTT fashion.) acting brain damaged after drinking the industrial strength alcohol. None of the action is cut at all.

Talking of JC.......

The Karate Kid
Like most self respecting Jackie Chan fans I had so many reservations about this this when I first heard about it, but I have to confess that I actually enjoyed this. It doesn't have the cheese factor of the original, and the action sequences suffer from the usual fast cuts and shakey camera that is typical in Western action films, but when all is said and done this does have some great location shots and it really packs an emotional punch. The most important thing for me though is Jackie Chan's convincing performance. It is easily his best in an American film to date. He plays it completely straight and when he needs to give that extra bit of emotion it is done well. In one particular scene I must have got some dust in my eye from somewhere.....cough cough, sniff sniff. (Damned dusty cinema! ) Some scenes are almost shot for shot from the original, but most of it takes on a life of its own as it becomes more of a story about cultures than just a boy moving to a new city and getting bullied. I have to also admit that Jaden Smith handles himself well and really looks like he was pushed physically to the limit during the training sequences.

Also watched over the past week...

Splice
Interesting but often predictable sci-fi/horror with good performances and some cool effects which will definitely get a second viewing when this hits DVD.

Night Of The Living Dead
Tom Savini's remake of the classic George A. Romero story works for me to a point. I like the way he makes the character of Barbara a stronger more self sufficient one, and Tony Todd is quite good before he slipped into Candyman mode and got totally type cast. The gore is quite subdued and well done too, although I believe this was down to cuts rather than original choice, but my biggest issue is where this goes in the last five minutes. A quality remake for the most part though.

House Of Mortal Sin
Sleazy British flick that falls more into psychological thriller than horror. Directed by cult favourite Pete Walker, this has a seedy undercurrent as the plot revolves around a sexually repressed priest who is blackmailing young women who have been confessing thier most personal secrets to him. Blackmail turns to murder when his actions are questioned by family and friends of the latest woman in his sights. Deliberately paced and a little melodramatic at times featuring a cast that is more recognisable for TV work.

The Vampire Lovers
One of the first Hammer vampire films to go past heaving bussoms into full nudity and also tackle the then almost taboo subject of lesbians. Ingrid Pitt is fantastic as the sultry vampire who can just about seduce anyone she pleases (Male or female. ). Peter Cushing is still on hand to lend some thesbian muscle support. I was amused by the fact that George Cole has a prominent role in this too, though he seems so out of place to me.

Bloodsuckers
A good cast is fritted away on this poor attempt at doing something different with the Vampire story. Peter Cushing gets very little screen time which is a crying shame as he is easily the best thing about this mess. Patrick Mower provides some unintentional laughs in the lead.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 4th August 2010, 04:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post

Night Of The Living Dead
Tom Savini's remake of the classic George A. Romero story works for me to a point. I like the way he makes the character of Barbara a stronger more self sufficient one, and Tony Todd is quite good before he slipped into Candyman mode and got totally type cast. The gore is quite subdued and well done too, although I believe this was down to cuts rather than original choice, but my biggest issue is where this goes in the last five minutes. A quality remake for the most part though.

I think Savini did a great job on this film! Although I have heard that Romero spent most of the time directing from afar in some way or another ... but that doesn't dampen the movie any for me. I think it was well acted, the script was top notch, the pacing great and of course the effects. There is a bootleg full uncut version doing the rounds, but apparantly the quality is so poor these days it is not worth watching.

I particularly like how serious the film and script plays out. Not one sign of any hokey humour or dialogue and I have to say I really liked the ending.

A very underrated film IMHO.
Old 4th August 2010, 04:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'll have the give the NOTLD remake another try. I can't even remember if I still own it or not. I half-liked it but just couldn't ever imagine myself watching it again as I much preferred the original at the time so may have sold it on.

Like this? Share it using the links below!