Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2021, 08:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

1 Ehojbbm11bNCSU2kIXDHxQ.jpg
THE MAD MONSTER (1942)

George Zucco injects his gardener Glenn Strange with a wolf blood serum turning him in to a wolfman. His idea is to make an army of wolfmen to win WWII.
Zucco sets up encounters with professors who scoffed at his idea and sets up the wolfman to kill them..

Poverty row horror. That being said, the sets of an old swamp are well done and atmospheric.
There is also a good scene in Zucco 's lab where he imagines talking to the professors, and they appear as spectres sitting around a table.
Old 4th March 2021, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Countess Dracula. 1971.

In 17th century Hungary, a ageing Countess has found a way by keeping her youth by bathing in the blood of young female virgins.

There has been a few films based on the story of Elizabeth Bathory who killed at least 600 young girls to bathe in their blood, but Hammer managed to do a decent bit of work on the story. Ingrid Pitt does pull of a decent portrayal as the old and youngest Countess, and has a dark side to being young again. Peter Sasdy who directed this managed to recreate some period decor with portraits of the real Countess torturing some girls as the legend dictates in the opening of the film, any film with Ingrid Pitt is always worth a watch, even though her voice was dubbed in this, you sinner Peter Sasdy.

countessdracula.jpg
Old 4th March 2021, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sex Drive

A Teen travels to Virginia with 2 of his friends in order to meet the hot girl he's been talking to online. Along the way they encounter a lot of mishaps. James Marsden is his bullying (Stiffler like) Brother and Seth Green is a Mormon who is able to lay on the guilt trips. This was one of the latter takes on the American Pie, Teen Comedy and I remember it being better but it was one of the more decent efforts. The Abstinence Scene was incredibly funny and would have fit in on the theatrical American Pie movies.

Bounty Hunter

Gerard Butler is hired to track his ex-wife (Jennifer Aniston) who skipped a court appearance. After some hijinks, they end up working together to solve a Murder. Butler revels in his role and it is funny.

Nanny Diaries

Scarlett Johannson takes up a job as a Nanny for a demanding Laura Linney. Chris Evans has a role also. It's a enjoyable watch without the clichés at the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sd.jpg (14.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bh.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nd.jpg (10.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 4th March 2021, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Sex Drive

A Teen travels to Virginia with 2 of his friends in order to meet the hot girl he's been talking to online. Along the way they encounter a lot of mishaps. James Marsden is his bullying (Stiffler like) Brother and Seth Green is a Mormon who is able to lay on the guilt trips. This was one of the latter takes on the American Pie, Teen Comedy and I remember it being better but it was one of the more decent efforts. The Abstinence Scene was incredibly funny and would have fit in on the theatrical American Pie movies.

Bounty Hunter

Gerard Butler is hired to track his ex-wife (Jennifer Aniston) who skipped a court appearance. After some hijinks, they end up working together to solve a Murder. Butler revels in his role and it is funny.
I agree with you about Sex Drive, it's a decent laugh but Bounty Hunter is terrible. I was reading your post expecting you to give it a mauling but you liked it.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Countess Dracula. 1971.

In 17th century Hungary, a ageing Countess has found a way by keeping her youth by bathing in the blood of young female virgins.

There has been a few films based on the story of Elizabeth Bathory who killed at least 600 young girls to bathe in their blood, but Hammer managed to do a decent bit of work on the story. Ingrid Pitt does pull of a decent portrayal as the old and youngest Countess, and has a dark side to being young again. Peter Sasdy who directed this managed to recreate some period decor with portraits of the real Countess torturing some girls as the legend dictates in the opening of the film, any film with Ingrid Pitt is always worth a watch, even though her voice was dubbed in this, you sinner Peter Sasdy.

Attachment 231649
Personally i think Countess Dracula is in a contest with She as the worst film Hammer made during their glory days (55-76).

Maybe it's because neither film is remotely chilling nor exciting. I try to appreciate them but can't.
Old 5th March 2021, 12:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Personally i think Countess Dracula is in a contest with She as the worst film Hammer made during their glory days (55-76).

Maybe it's because neither film is remotely chilling nor exciting. I try to appreciate them but can't.
I have never seen She, for some reason it never appealed to me, I will admit Countess Dracula isn't as chilling as other hammer films, I did enjoy the back story to the character.
Justin101 and Dave Boy like this.
Old 5th March 2021, 09:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

I was in a talk with Peter Sasdy and he mentioned about Ingrid's voice being dubbed. It was because Hammer thought that people might not be able to understand her! I don't think it was Peter that made the decision.
I think Ingrid's real voice was perfect for the part.
Ingrid thought the film was rather tame as well and wanted lots more blood.
Old 5th March 2021, 11:55 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with you about Sex Drive, it's a decent laugh but Bounty Hunter is terrible. I was reading your post expecting you to give it a mauling but you liked it.
I've never seen Sex Drive as the trailer put me off. I have seen Bounty Hunter, which is woeful, like a crap remake of Midnight Run.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th March 2021, 03:40 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I have never seen She, for some reason it never appealed to me
Keep it that way.

The problem is they made another one.. The Vengeance of She.
Old 5th March 2021, 05:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Keep it that way.

The problem is they made another one.. The Vengeance of She.
God yeah. I totally forgot about that one. That really is the worst of Hammer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!