Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree145678Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #55001  
Old 14th March 2021, 06:12 PM
Nordicdusk's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Haha! There you go then, brilliant.

Glad you loved it, Nordy.
All these years you haven't steered me wrong
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55002  
Old 14th March 2021, 06:43 PM
Nordicdusk's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Default

images.jpeg

Billy has been living with his aunt since he was 3 after his parents were both killed in a horrific car crash. His aunt never married or even dated in all the years Billy was growing up it was always just the two of them living in a massive house way too big for just the two of them. Now Billy is 17 and he has been offered a basketball scholarship to go to Denver University where his girlfriend is going to be. Once Billy tells his aunt about the amazing opportunity he is getting she goes absolutely nut and its then we start to see this is not ordinary aunt and nephew relationship and she will go to some dark places to make sure he never ever leaves her.

There are some strange characters in this film mainly the aunt and the cop. I love how over the top the aunt is flipping from normal to crazy bitch mid sentence it's even stranger because i know people that have that sort of relationship with their mothers that overbearing when you die im going on a murder rampage because i'm not equipped to deal with the real world alone . Speaking of over the top the bloody cop couldn't be anymore over the top with his crazy views on gay people and his over the top use of the word fag if i'm honest he started to wear thin on me pretty fast and it did take a little enjoyment out of the film at least any scene he was in just a little too unrealistic for me.

After starting off a little slow once the final third kicks in the film goes into overdrive and takes a turn down bat shit avenue doesnt let up until the crazy finale. If the cop was a little less cartoony i would of enjoyed this a little more. The aunt was supposed to be OTT but everyone else is pretty normal making the aunt seem even more crazy but the cop takes away from that a little.

7/10
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55003  
Old 14th March 2021, 07:17 PM
Nordicdusk's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Default

Dodsno.jpg

A few medical students head up the mountains to a very isolated cabin for a weekend of skiing drinking and fornicating (what a word ). What starts off as a fun filled carefree break away is soon interrupted when a strange man shows up at the cabin late at night looking for a cup of coffee. He tells them a tale of a group of Nazi soldiers who were stationed in the area during the war and how brutal they were to the locals until one day they had enough and the locals brutally murdered them all but the stolen gold the Nazi soldiers had was never found. Not paying any attention to his warning they just laugh it off but soon the joke will be on them when the Nazi undead return for their gold.

This is one of those films that i can't believe i have never seen before now what the hell is wrong with me.

Anyway Dead Snow has it all the characters are relatable there is lots of great humor buckets and buckets of gore and some great looking zombies how can you go wrong with Nazi zombies YOU CAN'T There are so many funny scenes especially when the one guy gets his arm bitten and he cuts it off to stop the infection spreading only to have his dick bitten and the look on his face deciding if that needs to go next or not was priceless Also the fact that a medical student is terrified of blood a great doctor he will make for sure The blood and snow work so beautifully it looks fantastic just so many great scenes and things about this film so much fun. One scene that was disgusting was the sex scene in the out house when she sucks his finger

I watched this on Prime but its a must buy for me now and it will get repeat views in the future.

9/10
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55004  
Old 14th March 2021, 07:55 PM
iank's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: QLD, Australia
Default

Obsession. A wealthy and successful man loses both his wife and daughter in a kidnapping gone tragically wrong. 20 years later he's in Rome on business when he encounters a young woman who is the spitting image of his late wife. Becoming obsessed with her, he begins to court her and after a whirlwind romance whisks her off to the US with the intention of marrying her... only for her to disappear, with a ransom note left behind... This mid 70s thriller is an early effort from famed director Brian De Palma and is a pretty solid piece. It gets off to a strong start, though the mid-section does meander a little and threaten to make you go "Is there a point to this?" before a killer reveal and climax. The back of the Blu ray states the film has "an evil twist" and they're not kidding. The moment he turned up, I knew John Lithgow - as the lead's "best friend" and business partner, was guilty of something - I mean, it's John Lithgow, and in a De Palma movie - but what he does to the two people in this film is one of the most coldbloodedly evil and twisted things I've ever seen. The strength of that twist and climax just about make up for that meandering midsection and make this an enjoyable film.
Reply With Quote
  #55005  
Old 14th March 2021, 09:37 PM
Active Cultist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

Stir Crazy

Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder end up traveling to Arizona however they are framed for a Bank Robbery and up in a Jail for over 100 years. Whilst there they manage to annoy the Warden and Guard while making plans for an escape. Quite good fun.

Major League

Classic Sports Comedy in which sees a scheming owner of a Baseball Team try to secure relocation to Miami by making sure that the team is absolutely rubbish, which would mean the fans won't come. To do this, she signs a rag tag, motely crew of players and management. Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger and Wesley Snipes star. Just a fantastic film with great Baseball scenes and you don't have to follow the sport in order to follow, which I believe is the sign of a great Movie.

Goon

Indie Film based on Seann William Scott becoming an Ice Hockey Enforcer for a Minor League Team. It leads to a confrontation with the leading Enforcer, played by Liev Schreiber. I like Ice Hockey and I found this to be thoroughly entertaining. I believe that this shows that Scott doesn't have to be typecast in the douche role. That role falls to Jay Baruchel (Who was annoying throughout) Eugene Levy plays his Father.

Alien Nation

Aliens arrive in America and are discriminated against and after a Detective's (James Cann) parther is murdered by Alien criminals, he volunteers to partner up with the 1st Alien Detective. It was enjoyable back then and it's still an enjoyable watch now. An added bonus, it's only 86 minutes long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (11.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ml.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (16.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg an.jpg (12.2 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #55006  
Old 14th March 2021, 09:49 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Obsession. A wealthy and successful man loses both his wife and daughter in a kidnapping gone tragically wrong. 20 years later he's in Rome on business when he encounters a young woman who is the spitting image of his late wife. Becoming obsessed with her, he begins to court her and after a whirlwind romance whisks her off to the US with the intention of marrying her... only for her to disappear, with a ransom note left behind... This mid 70s thriller is an early effort from famed director Brian De Palma and is a pretty solid piece. It gets off to a strong start, though the mid-section does meander a little and threaten to make you go "Is there a point to this?" before a killer reveal and climax. The back of the Blu ray states the film has "an evil twist" and they're not kidding. The moment he turned up, I knew John Lithgow - as the lead's "best friend" and business partner, was guilty of something - I mean, it's John Lithgow, and in a De Palma movie - but what he does to the two people in this film is one of the most coldbloodedly evil and twisted things I've ever seen. The strength of that twist and climax just about make up for that meandering midsection and make this an enjoyable film.
I'll have to give this version a go.

The one i watched last week was set in Florence.
iank likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #55007  
Old 14th March 2021, 09:51 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 231873

A few medical students head up the mountains to a very isolated cabin for a weekend of skiing drinking and fornicating (what a word ). What starts off as a fun filled carefree break away is soon interrupted when a strange man shows up at the cabin late at night looking for a cup of coffee. He tells them a tale of a group of Nazi soldiers who were stationed in the area during the war and how brutal they were to the locals until one day they had enough and the locals brutally murdered them all but the stolen gold the Nazi soldiers had was never found. Not paying any attention to his warning they just laugh it off but soon the joke will be on them when the Nazi undead return for their gold.

This is one of those films that i can't believe i have never seen before now what the hell is wrong with me.

Anyway Dead Snow has it all the characters are relatable there is lots of great humor buckets and buckets of gore and some great looking zombies how can you go wrong with Nazi zombies YOU CAN'T There are so many funny scenes especially when the one guy gets his arm bitten and he cuts it off to stop the infection spreading only to have his dick bitten and the look on his face deciding if that needs to go next or not was priceless Also the fact that a medical student is terrified of blood a great doctor he will make for sure The blood and snow work so beautifully it looks fantastic just so many great scenes and things about this film so much fun. One scene that was disgusting was the sex scene in the out house when she sucks his finger

I watched this on Prime but its a must buy for me now and it will get repeat views in the future.

9/10
Another recommendation , Nordy.

You've gotta watch the second one whilst this is still in your memory.
Reply With Quote
  #55008  
Old 14th March 2021, 10:03 PM
MrBarlow's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dundee
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another recommendation , Nordy.

You've gotta watch the second one whilst this is still in your memory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 799a3627252d236d0567cddf498cdab9.jpeg (22.3 KB, 34 views)
__________________
" I have seen tree's that look like tortured souls"
Reply With Quote
  #55009  
Old 14th March 2021, 10:10 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Cinderella Man (2005)

Ron Howard's excellent biopic of boxer James J. Braddock. Russell Crowe plays Braddock, a boxer forced to retire due to a hand broken in three places just as the US enters the Great Depression. Poverty sets in for Braddock, wife Rene Zellweger (Never better in my opinion) and their three children until out of the blue he receives an offer, an offer that would see him win the nickname Cinderella Man.

Cinderella Man is both a gritty boxing film and an equally gritty look at social problems during the Depression. Howard's direction especially during the bouts is taut and tense whilst Crowe slipping back into Maximus' underdog mode is at his appealing everyman best.

There you go, and i never even mentioned yet another scene stealing turn from Paul Giamatti as Braddock's manager.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cinderella_Man_poster.jpg (17.0 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #55010  
Old 14th March 2021, 10:15 PM
Nordicdusk's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another recommendation , Nordy.

You've gotta watch the second one whilst this is still in your memory.
Ill give it a watch tomorrow cheers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.