Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2021, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

X-Ray (1981)

X-Ray is, like Halloween 2, set entirely in a hospital where a killer is on the loose.

Directed by Boaz Davidson who i would think is now best known for producing action films, X-Ray is a slick pacy example of the slasher genre. The hospital setting allows for a heady build up of panic and hysteria as the lovely Barbi Benton (Yes she has a gratuitous nude scene) is stalked by a madman donning surgical robes. There are gorier examples of slashers out there but Davidson does well at generating suspense and then keeping it without allowing the film to sag once the killing spree begins.

There are serious flaws in pretty much everything about the film if you as Poirot would say "Use the little grey cells", never the less X-Ray is a fun example of the slasher genre although not quite a top tier performer.
Old 29th April 2021, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

DEAD AND BURIED 1981.

In the small town of Potter's Bluff the locals are killing tourists that come to the area, what else does the town hold to secret.

What a good old fashioned horror should be that relies on good acting and make-up effects and none of the crap we get these days. I remember reading the book and almost loosing track of time that was full of intrigue and suspense just the way it was put into the film. The acting in this is solid enough and no one tries to outshine anyone, even the background score is creepy enough to make it work.

dead-buried.jpg
Old 30th April 2021, 08:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robot Holocaust (1986, Tim Kincaid)

Poapoc caper on a budgetary diet. SEE ... the last of humanity, they may be broken and beaten, but they all look like they could belt out Holding Out For A Hero at the drop of a hat .... When the obligatory Christ figure emerges to take them all to the "better place", he isn't that prepossessing tbh, looking more like 3rd thug on the right in a Miami Vice episode tbh. But hey, what do I know? Isn't it what's inside that counts after all?

Stuck this on as his Mutant Hunt wouldn't play (TK also did Breeders if the name seemeth familiar) and was just as pleased. The money obviously went on the sets and the "robots" for the main part are sparingly used ahem. It resembles any sci fi series ie they wander about in a wooded area ("the wilderness") ala Star Trek and the good old superimposition of "futuristic" elements seems like an afterthought. A hoot. Needed a wee lift and this did the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH.jpg (103.4 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th April 2021, 05:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BMjViYzZmOGMtMjUzZC00Yjk0LWEzMzctZGE5OTkxYzg4N2M5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ4ODA2NzQ@._V1_.jpg
DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW (1981)

Good TV movie with a great atmosphere. The movie keeps it scarecrow hidden in the shadows for the kills but looks haunting out in the fields with the films sinister soundtrack. For me, the real monster is not the scarecrow but Otis, the horrible postmaster responsible for poor Bubba's death.
Old 30th April 2021, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Durning at his sweaty, seedy best. A classic. Great ending ahem.

REWATCH.
Dave Boy likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th April 2021, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Invasion Of The Blood Farmers (1972, Ed Adlum)

Regional US horror masterclass.
It has it all. A touching romance. Animal abuse. Drunken cop shirking his duties. Everyone chews the scenery.
Obviously partly sponsored by some local cranberry sauce manufacturer
For once the scientist is the good guy!
I was going to revisit Dougal & The Blue Cat, but this fell on me heid whilst digging that out
A joy to behold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invasion-of-the-blood-farmers-movie-poster-md.jpg (27.4 KB, 2 views)

[B]
Old 30th April 2021, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young man arrives at a remote and virtually deserted island whos only others resident is a lighthouse keeper who loves to walk around with his meat a two veg hanging out. The young man soon finds out that every night humanoid sea creatures invade the island, the two men team together too stay alive the keeper lives with a female creature who he is sleeping with. It's really seems more of character study of the effect of living on the island and how it effects the two men than a straight out horror , well acted but don't think it's something i would watch more than once.

Now watch.

Old 30th April 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Dead Pool (1988)

Not my favourite of the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry films nor the worst (Hello Sudden Impact and Sondra Locke). The Dead Pool is a little on the formulaic side with a plot sat somewhere in the middle of slasher and cop thriller.

The film has a few fun set pieces and isn't lacking in ideas, such as the car chase through San Francisco's streets where Callaghan is being pursued by a nifty remote control car, whilst Harry's visit to San Quentin brings a laugh or two. If made now it actually has a great cast in Eastwood, Liam Neeson, Jim Carrey and even Guns N' Roses in walk on parts, but on the whole The Dead Pool lacks something in comparison to Dirty Harry and Magnum Force.

Having said that tonight must be the 20th time i've watched it and i certainly prefer it to any Ryan Reynolds film with a similar name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-dead-pool-movie-poster-1988-1020744977.jpg (22.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th April 2021, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A young man arrives at a remote and virtually deserted island whos only others resident is a lighthouse keeper who loves to walk around with his meat a two veg hanging out. The young man soon finds out that every night humanoid sea creatures invade the island, the two men team together too stay alive the keeper lives with a female creature who he is sleeping with. It's really seems more of character study of the effect of living on the island and how it effects the two men than a straight out horror , well acted but don't think it's something i would watch more than once.
I thought Cold Skin was rather good. Definitely one i'll return to but not any sort of instant re-watch.
Old 30th April 2021, 10:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Dead Pool (1988)

Not my favourite of the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry films nor the worst (Hello Sudden Impact and Sondra Locke). The Dead Pool is a little on the formulaic side with a plot sat somewhere in the middle of slasher and cop thriller.
In my mind this one is the worst Dirty Harry, think i've only watched it twice, It's just very 80's and cheesy whereas Sudden Impact i've watched quite a few times, i'd watch it whenever it showed up on TV, it's quite different for a Dirty Harry film, but i've always liked it.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!