Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2021, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
In my mind this one is the worst Dirty Harry, think i've only watched it twice, It's just very 80's and cheesy whereas Sudden Impact i've watched quite a few times, i'd watch it whenever it showed up on TV, it's quite different for a Dirty Harry film, but i've always liked it.
I'm with you there, nos. Seen Sudden Impact loads of times myself and you're right, it did seem to be on tv a lot. The Rookie was another that always seemed to get a tv airing back in the day. Firefox was another.

For the record i don't dislike Sudden Impact. It's a three star movie (I'd say The Dead Pool was three and a half.)
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 30th April 2021, 11:22 PM
Cult Addict

My order of preference for the Dirty Harry films is basically in the order they came out.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st May 2021, 12:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Now watch.

I was about a hour into this film and bloody wifi kicked off, what I saw of it this was good so far
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 1st May 2021, 07:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I was about a hour into this film and bloody wifi kicked off, what I saw of it this was good so far
And people say streaming the way ahead, it's all more the reason why buying physically media better.
Old 1st May 2021, 08:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

R444ff0e14e71384306da4a702052e9b7.jpg
BURNT OFFERINGS (1976)

Oliver Reed and Karen Black rent a huge old house at a very cheap price. The only request is that they give meals to the elderly mother who never comes out of her room. Things start to go wrong as the family seem to be taken over by strange feelings and Karen seems possessed by being in the old ladies room..
Enjoyable slow burning but eerie movie with a nice chilling soundtrack.
Even if it's your first viewing you can sort of see the way the movie is going to end but it has a good cast and it's a nice late night film.
Old 1st May 2021, 08:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
And people say streaming the way ahead, it's all more the reason why buying physically media better.
Aye isn't modern technology great these days
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 1st May 2021, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pied Piper Of Hamelin. 1957.

A medieval town is over run with rats, the mayor hires a mysterious piper to help get rid of them but refuses to pay the piper.

Why can't Hollywood or other big studios make films like these nowadays, ok it was a made for T.V. movie but this was enjoyable, Van Johnson in a double role of Truson a villager and the pied piper, Claude Rains plays the greedy town Mayor and Lori Nelson and as the female lead Nora. There is a lot of singing and rhyming when people talk that makes it a bit more laughable, the cinematography is brilliant to see in these old movies, even seeing the rats runs is almost like animation and a nice background score including In The Hall of the Mountain King.

The_Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin_(1957_film).jpg
Old 1st May 2021, 02:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Willy's Wonderland (2021)

Nicolas Cage's car breaks down outside a remote Nevada town. Unable to pay for the repairs (The garage doesn't take credit cards) he agrees to work the night in kids indoor amusement park Willy's Wonderland. What Cage doesn't know when accepting is that Willy's Wonderland is possessed / haunted (call it what you will) by eight murderous animatronic characters.

I'll say straight away, i had a lot of enjoyment watching Willy's Wonderland. It was everything The Banana Splits Movie should have been. A bit creepy, violent, gory and a whole load of fun.

Nicolas Cage was a revelation in the role of the drifter / janitor. As an A-List Hollywood star his career seemed to be stalling following a series of theatrical flops and a descent into dtv nothingness (see Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme etal for other examples) was already in motion. However Cage was too good a performer to simply disappear with his flamboyant acting style left, right and centre demanding the viewers attention, thus a series of what could have been ignominious features have turned into very good movies gaining a definite cult following in the process (Mom and Dad, Mandy, Color Out of Space, Grand Isle, Primal and now Willy's Wonderland).

It goes without saying that a manic Nicolas Cage always rules the screen but here he never speaks a word. Not one. It's purely in his performance, his mannerisms and his genuine star quality that Willy's Wonderland works so beautifully coming up with some delightful continuous jokes such as changing his Willy's Wonderland t-shirt, drinking a can of soda and playing a pin ball game after each violently messy showdown with an animatronic rival. I should also add that he makes for an excellent janitor.

There's certainly a cartoonish veneer to the film (After twenty minutes in he's fighting a giant animatronic ostrich) but it's also slickly directed, has decent acting from Cage's co-stars and enough twists and turns in the script to comfortably keep me entertained. Added to this, in true Rob Zombie style, the ending as Cage gets into his car and drives away as Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird echoes through the speakers, well it was always going to be a winner with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willy_s_Wonderland-610969353-large.jpg (100.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 1st May 2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 1st May 2021, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another enjoyable find from shudder, a few years after the murder of his new born child a cop in Mexico gets involved in a disturbing case of a shooting in a kindergarten by one of its students, as time goes on more mass killings involving children take place and a paranormal investigator is sent by the Vatican to apprehend a fallen priest played by Jigsaw himself Tobin Bell who has made a deal with the devil and is believed to be behind the killings, the two men team up to stop the fallen priest. A few twist and turns with some disturbing scenes , well acted and directed. Well worth a watch something I would go back too.

Now watching

Will probably watch Spookies next.

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st May 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 1st May 2021, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lust For A Vampire. 1971.

40 years had passed since the last known vapireism attack, the heir to the Karnstein's use the blood of the innocent to resurrect a vampire Mircella who was once known as Carmilla.

It has been a while since I Last saw this film (maybe young teen years) and this film still never disappoints with it's story line, acting and creative effects that may be outdated but still decently done. Any film with Ralph Bates will never be a disappointing viewing. Mike Raven will never be Christopher Lee even though he has some resemblance with his manner but yet still a bit creepy. Yutte Stensgaard plays Mircalla/Carmilla Karnstein was quite a bit of a hotty and delivers a great performance even though her death was a bit naff, plenty topless scenes kept me happy.

lust-for-a-vampire.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!