Old 10th May 2021, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 233166
THE TELL TALE HEART (1960)

Good (very loose) adaptation of the Poe story which I think is somewhat forgotten, what with all the Corman movies. Nicely shot in black and white.
Edgar spies Betty in her bedroom window. Shy Edgar manages to pluck up enough courage to ask her out where she works at a flower stall. At first clumsy Edgar, not good with the ladies mucks things up somewhat by being too forward.
Betty gives him another chance and soon they are out dancing. Edgar introduces Betty to his best friend Carl, and soon Carl and Betty are having a secret affair. Edgar spots them both from his window. While visiting Edgar, Carl is murdered by Edgar and hides him under the floorboards. Soon Edgar hears a beating heart through the house..
Is there a decent bd of this now? My dvd is pretty poor quality.
Old 10th May 2021, 06:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Don't think so Dem. I think most copies are scratched and beaten up. Shame.
Old 10th May 2021, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They're Inside (2019, John-Paul Panelli)

FF.
A group of budding cineastes set up at a house in the woods.
This pudding is over egged somewhat. Piling on unnecessary subplots to what was essentially a home invasion story. Left me rather confused, with no desire to revisit it ever.

NOT recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th May 2021, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Criminally Insane II. 1987.

Ethel is released from a psychiatric unit and sent to live in a halfway house, soon her appetite for food grows again and the killings start again.

I'm not a huge fan of the first film and never realised there was a sequel and had to be checked out, I knew it would be bad but never knew how bad. Priscilla Alden returns as Ethel released into care and has flashbacks of the previous killings that seems to urge her to loose control of her sanity. Low budget defiantly, bad acting very much from start to finish, laughable yes. During a killing, either the guy was being strangled, humped or both, certainly created a funny death scene that had to be laughed at, not one I would say to find and watch in a rush.

220px-CriminallyInsane2VHS.jpg
Old 11th May 2021, 12:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Town That Dreaded Sundown. 1976.

A small town in Akansas is terrorized by a hooded killer known as "The Phantom".

This is the first time seeing this one and why did I wait so long to see it, this was a nice little gem with a voice over narration by by Vern Stierman that is based on a true story. The film does take a serious tone with the back story and adds in a small comedy element with the police force and their idea of using officers dressed as women to lure the killer. IMO I think Drive In Massacre scene with the men dressed as women has more comedy in that part than this film. Back when this film was released in 76 there may have been a lot of suspense built up for the audience to appreciate even on the big screen yet still you can feel the tension still in some parts of the film, one I will happily return to.

The_Town_That_Dreaded_Sundown_film_poster.jpg
Old 11th May 2021, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable and creepy Turkish horror that follows a group of not so likable group of coppers whom ended up at a old police station when investigating a crime and come under attack from a satanic cult getting up too some truly disturbing and gross shit, which are lead my a ripped midget.

Tonight a Nicolas Cage double.

Old 11th May 2021, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A enjoyable and creepy Turkish horror that follows a group of not so likable coppers whom ended up at a old police station when investigating a crime and come under attack from a satanic cult getting up too some truly disturbing and gross shit, which are lead my a ripped midget.

You’re 2nd person to say they watched basking recently, funnily enough I started watching it other night but something cropped up so I only got half way through I’ll finish it off tonight .
Old 11th May 2021, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
You’re 2nd person to say they watched basking recently, funnily enough I started watching it other night but something cropped up so I only got half way through I’ll finish it off tonight .
Here's what i said about it three years ago.

Quote:
Baskin (2015)

A group of cops receive a distress call, upon investigating the call things become truly weird in an horrific descent into hell.

An interesting and very bloody horror film from Turkey. Whilst the first half sets the scene it feels like an elongated 'get to know you' affair as we get to see the cops as they basically talk. A lot. It even apes the Goodfellas "Funny like a clown" scene at one point. It's when the officers get the distress call that things take a turn for the bizarre.

What follows is a truly grim forty minutes of nightmarish sequences as the cops investigate a deserted police station and all hell breaks loose, quite literally. It benefits not coming out of the Hollywood system as it's far sicker than the usual horror movies doing the rounds. It's supremely atmospheric and utterly downbeat as well. I won't go into it any more as i don't want to spoil things should people choose to buy the Severin released dvd or blu-ray.

I liked Baskin. It's not perfect by any means but it does show ambition and should be welcomed with open (hacked off) arms by fans of Hellraiser and such like.
gag, Demoncrat, trebor8273 and 2 others like this.
Old 11th May 2021, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

You are in for a treat, Treb. I loved both of those.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 11th May 2021, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

By the end of Resident Evil: Afterlife you kind of wish for a reset button that takes the series back to it's roots low and behold Retribution begins in the suburbs of Raccoon City, with Alice (Milla Jovovich) and her family enjoying a normal, everyday morning... then the zombies attack. Admittedly this scenario isn't the actual basis for the whole film, but it almost brought the series back to it's gaming origin.

It turns out Alice is a prisoner of Umbrella Corp and this suburban setting is one of it's artificial environments along with downtown Tokyo, New York, Moscow and other cities, that the ruthless corporation use to scare the superpower nations into buying their weapons of warfare. Alice together with some familiar faces from past films, need to escape the landscape created by Umbrella and try to destroy the Corp from within.

Resident Evil Retribution is then one big video game of a movie. Action all the way, however it's not absurd OTT action, well it is, but it's a little closer to reality than the previous installment. The film uses bullets, lots of bullets, and plays like a more straightforward action film albeit with zombies, lickers and axe men. Jovovich as ever is excellent, always commanding the screen whether it be in the numerous action scenes or the occasional quieter moments.

A big thumbs up to director Paul WS Anderson too. I still can't believe Anderson pulled this film off with only $60 million. We have all these major cities getting wrecked and flooded (and the effects are incredible). Most filmmakers require nearly $200 million to achieve what this film does.

In all fairness this isn't going to appeal across the board, but for what it is - guns, monsters and slinky fetish wear (Welcome to the party Sienna Guillory in your purple catsuit) - Resident Evil Retribution proved a crowd pleaser and thoroughly entertained me for ninety minutes and will be one i continue to revisit in the future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resident_evil_retribution_poster.jpg (84.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!