Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179488Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2021, 10:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Sounds like you may be getting it confused with Android (1982) which has a similar set up, a film that was on TV a few times when i was growing up that i quite like.

Attachment 233265

Attachment 233264
Yes! The ever-expanding legion of stuff I need to track down and revisit grows another member!
Old 16th May 2021, 06:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Spy

The Death of Stalin..
Probably the funniest film about the death of a Communist dictator there has ever been...It's Carry On Russia, only difference being is Charles Hawtrey isn't pissed and having sex in public toilets,and Sid James isn't oggling Babs tits,and Jim Dale does not ride agurney down a flight of stairs either...
What's impressive is that it's all done in such a matter of fact way,and with a slice of British sitcom injected into the proceedings, although it does become a bit jarring when the story takes a turn for the worse when the realisation of the true horror is revealed,much like Stalin's skull in the autopsy scene...So amongst all the executions and kidnappings is some very funny stuff...On top of that it has a great story,and one of the best ensemble casts, and an impressive mixture of British comedians and a sprinkling of some American heavy weights... For fan's of The Thick of It especially,and it's nice to see Micheal Palin back to comedy acting instead of travel shows ..

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.(2011).
I haven't watched the original television series of John Le Carre's story with Alec Guinness,for along time,so I cannot really compare the two until I re-watch the series (that said I have never read the book either, which is something I'm going to rectify)...Saying that the film does manage to capture the brown and beigeness and the nicotine stained fingers of the 1970s very well...only thing it could of done with was some glam rock on the soundtrack,but probably not appropriate for the story line...I did spend the whole entire duration of the film listening to Gary Oldman's accent, seeing if he does an impression of Alec Guinness,and although he does not do a full Obi Wan Kenobi, every so often you do get a slight nod to Sir Alec ...This was the second time I watched this adaptation,and I was impressed more this time around... Any one who likes the slow burn spy thrillers of Bridge Of Spies and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold will enjoy the whole down trodden 1970s blandness of real spies...
The Courier (2020)
And while we are on the subject of spying in the 1970s,we have the rather good true story of Greville Wynne,who was used by British and American Intelligence to contact a Russian agent Oleg Penkovsky, under the guise of business trips to Russia... Basically the information Greville Wynne garned from his Soviet contact help to defuse the Cuban missile crisis...And like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,The Courier does an admirable job in recreating the time period perfectly,this time it's the swinging 1960s...Benedict Cumberbatch plays the main role of Wynne,who is pretty amazing in the lead role, especially when you see the real Wynne in archive footage at the end of the film,and the transformation both the character and actor goes through at the end of the film... Again not the fast cars and shoot outs of spy thrillers,but nothing beats a solid story and a great ensemble cast...

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 16th May 2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 16th May 2021, 06:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.(2011).
I haven't watched the original television series of John Le Carre's story with Alec Guinness,for along time,so I cannot really compare the two until I re-watch the series (that said I have never read the book either, which is something I'm going to rectify)...Saying that the film does manage to capture the brown and beigeness and the nicotine stained fingers of the 1970s very well...only thing it could of done with was some glam rock on the soundtrack,but probably not appropriate for the story line...I did spend the whole entire duration of the film listening to Gary Oldman's accent, seeing if he does an impression of Alec Guinness,and although he does not do a full Obi Wan Kenobi, every so often you do get a slight nod to Sir Alec ...This was the second time I watched this adaptation,and I was impressed more this time around... Any one who likes the slow burn spy thrillers of Bridge Of Spies and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold will enjoy the whole down trodden 1970s blandness of real spies...
I was so disappointed by Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I was actually bored by it. I even bought it from Sainsbury's as it had a free novel with it. A couple of days after watching i got rid of both. I really like Cold War movies and this was supposedly the daddy of them all. Hell, i preferred Midnight in St Petersburg.

You also mention Bridge of Spies and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. They were both terrific.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 16th May 2021, 06:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was so disappointed by Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I was actually bored by it. I even bought it from Sainsbury's as it had a free novel with it. A couple of days after watching i got rid of both. I really like Cold War movies and this was supposedly the daddy of them all. Hell, i preferred Midnight in St Petersburg.

You also mention Bridge of Spies and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. They were both terrific.
I was disappointed at first, but I think that was mainly due to the hype it received at the time, but enjoyed it more on the re-watch . . .

Old 16th May 2021, 07:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a brilliant film, one of the best of the last 20 years. Although I haven't seen any other adaptations of the novel so can't compare Gary Oldman's Smiley to Alec Guinness's portrayal of the character, I can't see how it could be any better – for my money, Oldman gives a stellar performance which is one of the best of his great career.
Old 16th May 2021, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Skinner (1993)

Disappointing slasher style film with just one gory murder and not very realistic skin flaying. Tries it's best to be sleazy but never really had the balls to pull it off.

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad had it not starred that annoying twat from Xena Warrior Princess - Ted Raimi.
Old 16th May 2021, 09:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Zodiac. The emergence of a serial killer who dubs himself "Zodiac" in 60s San Francisco creates a decades-long obsession for newspaper cartoonist Robert Graysmith, whose dogged investigations begin to screw up his marriage and mental health long after everyone else has moved on. David Fincher's late 2000s crime drama/thriller remains as effective and compelling as ever even with a butt-numbing running time.
Old 16th May 2021, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Harold And Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay

Following on from their trip to White Castle, they decide to go to Amsterdam so Harold can find his crush. On the Plane Kumar decides to smoke Weed using a device which looks like a bomb. Obviously things get out of hand and are sent to Guantanamo Bay by an over zealous Agent. They escape and end up on another crazy adventure. It's good but not as good as it's processor, I think they tried top push the envelope further but to lesser results.

F/X: Murder By Illusion

Bryan Brown is the F/X Artist who is convinced by Police to help stage a fake shooting of a ex Mob Boss. He is double crossed and is chased by the crooked Policemen and honest Cop played by Brian Dennehy, however he fights back using the tricks of his trade.

This has a special reverence for me because the name and VHS cover gives me nostalgic memories and the film is actually still decent and entertaining.

I'm sure that there is a premise for a TV show that can be based from the films.

Mortal Kombat

This is the 1995 version in which 3 humans battle to save Earth from an hostile takeover by fighting in a mystical tournament. Christopher Lambert stars in this film that was ok back then but hasn't stood the test of time. The acting isn't great and some of the F/X now looks like it's from a Sinbad movie.

Night Of The Living Dead

This is the original George A. Romero film in which possible radiation poisoning is causing people to kill and return from the dead. Some survivors end up in a Farmhouse whilst working out what to do and find out what is happening.

Confession time, this is the 1st time seeing this version (I know but I've seen the 1990 remake) and I was entertained, I was interested that they were revered as Ghouls and I'm sure it must have been quite an experience if you saw this film when it was first released because I'm guessing no-one really knew what a Zombie was nor what a Zombie movie was like.

Discounting the films from Land onwards, has their been a trilogy of films that have had remakes, Night, Dawn and Day have been redone.

Dictator

Sasha Baron Cohen is The Dictator of a foreign country who is replaced so he tries to reclaim his throne. I did find this rather entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hakefgb.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fxmbi.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mk.jpg (13.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg notld.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (14.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th May 2021, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I wasn't familiar with the story or the novel nor any or John Le Carre's work but I thought Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was dire. Put me to sleep first and second time I tried watching it. Just so so dull.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th May 2021, 10:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

1944-return-of-the-ape-man-poster.jpg
RETURN OF THE APE MAN(1944)

Not linked at all to 'The Ape Man' (1943), also with Bela.
Bela thaws out a prehistoric man in the hopes of bringing him back to life. This he does, but finds he also needs part of the brain of a living person so the Ape Man can talk and be more controllable.
Enjoyable Poverty Row horror in which Bela is pretty nasty, not caring about anyone in the quest to complete his experiment.

Ra118cf55df92ff4f3668da2414a36cdb.jpg
DOCTOR BLOOD'S COFFIN (1961)

Doctor Blood returns to Cornwall and continues his experiments in an old tin mine. If he removes the heart from a live body, he believes he can bring the dead back to life again..
Slow burning horror in which the scenes from the poster which everyone is waiting for, come in the last 10 mins.
Still enough going on though up to the climax as Doctor Blood paralyses his victims and attempts to remove the heart while the victim is still awake.
Good effects and make up from Les Bowie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!