Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Jinx_Barkman 29th April 2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 338230)
The Lords of Salem (2012)

As one of horror's new generation of directors, Rob Zombie's films, along with those directed by Adam Green and Eli Roth, will always divide opinion and come under heavy scrutiny among horror fans. Personally i love House of 1000 Corpses and its sequel The Devils' Rejects. Halloween i liked, especially its opening hour, however i found H2 to be a huige disappointment.

So where would Zombie go from here? The Lords of Salem is the answer. A film unlike anything that came before it from the former White Zombie frontman.

One of the main questions i had was whether its star, Zombie's wife, and a regular in all his movies, Sherri Moon Zombie could make the step up from support player to leading lady. Thankfully the answer is a resounding yes. Moon makes the transition with ease and gives a measured, mature performance at the centre of the film as Heidi, one of a trio of local, late night rock dj's. Heidi takes home an odd looking record, sent to the station which when played sends out the message that "The Lords are coming" and seems to trigger halucinations of Salem's violent past. From here Rob Zombie takes the film in a direction reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel as it becomes increasingly likely that Heidi is an innocent soon to be at the heart of something evil.

The Lords of Salem is a film unlike anything the director had previously put his name to. Gone are the heavy handed gore and shock tactics. The film builds at a slow, intriguing pace, heavy on atmosphere, partially created by the cool yellow hue Zombie gives his night time scenes. As previously mentioned the gore is practically non-existant which to me makes the story more believable and allows it to breathe without the viewer waiting for the next bloody kill, therefore allowing the feeling of impending dread to build significantly. I suppose if i was to compare Lords to anything then Ti West's The House of the Devil would be an obvious choice. Naturally Rob can't resist the wierd and wonderful for the entire film. He adds flourishes of colour to The Lords of Salem in spades in the form of flashbacks to the 1692 witch trials and the alleged horrors that built up to them in the form of nightmarish scenarios that may or may not be Heid's dreams.

Rob Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horrors episode Witching Time. The three all revel n their roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun in meaty, integral roles in a genre film.

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and i hope it goes down as well with the horror community as it did with me.

Fantastic review. I'm really looking forward to seeing this soon.

I watched Argo a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it as a tense thriller/drama. It lacked a strong lead in Affleck but the plot has always intrigued me and I thought they executed it brilliantly.

Hammer time 29th April 2013 04:31 PM

Lords of Salem-Starts of interesting gets extremely dull around the hour mark picks up in the last 10 mins

keirarts 29th April 2013 04:41 PM

IRON MAN 3.

Thought the twist with the manderin was supurb, the script was probably the best of the series and some real character development for Tony stark. Supurb. This bodes well for the rest of marvels phase 2. Also good to know future iron man films (wether they have RDJ or not) won't just rely on the same schtick. Its good to see Stark really grow as a character.

J Harker 29th April 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 338419)
IRON MAN 3.

Thought the twist with the manderin was supurb, the script was probably the best of the series and some real character development for Tony stark. Supurb. This bodes well for the rest of marvels phase 2. Also good to know future iron man films (wether they have RDJ or not) won't just rely on the same schtick. Its good to see Stark really grow as a character.

I really enjoyed it too. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the comics so changes made to characters and backstories make no difference to me. Thought Ben Kingsley was brill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

keirarts 29th April 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 338420)
I really enjoyed it too. I'm not at all knowledgeable about the comics so changes made to characters and backstories make no difference to me. Thought Ben Kingsley was brill.

In the comics the manderin had 'magic' rings actually recovered from an alien spacecraft. The problem with the character was that in the books he was there to represent the 'menace of the red chinese' to america and often ended up as marvels Fu manchu. On occasion an AWFUL asian steryotype. Thats why I was pleased Shane black did something interesting with the character and made a good statement on the generic foreign villain played by english actor, often found in other big budgeted summer movies. The twist made this point brilliantly without having to turn to the camera and explain it all to the audience imo.

troggi 29th April 2013 06:15 PM

Ultraviolet
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...let_poster.jpg

Thir13een Ghosts
http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x...40/8244840.jpg

Ultraviolet I like this film, it doesn't/can't (delete as applicable) and has Milla Jovovich in it, what's not to like?

Thir13een Ghosts Another silly film but this time with some "good deads" in it, the Lawyer "splitting" is a particular favourite.

:clap::popcorn:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th April 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 338442)
Ultraviolet I like this film, it doesn't/can't (delete as applicable) and has Milla Jovovich in it, what's not to like?

Doesn't / can't what? ;)

troggi 29th April 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 338447)
Doesn't / can't what? ;)

Sorry, must've lost a bit; insert "take itself too seriously" after "doesn't/can't" or anywhere y' like really, please y'self ma friend:decision:

Dave Boy 29th April 2013 07:54 PM

Superman The Movie (1978)

The Abominable Dr Phibes (1971)

troggi 29th April 2013 09:41 PM

Flesh for the Beast
http://www.watch-hd-movies-online.co...er-210x300.jpg

Blood and entrails with soft core interludes. As they say in the jazz world "nice!"

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th April 2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 338501)
Flesh for the Beast
http://www.watch-hd-movies-online.co...er-210x300.jpg

Blood and entrails with soft core interludes. As they say in the jazz world "nice!"

I really like this one Troggi.

The UK release is uncut, however its a different release to the US Shriek Show version.

Slippery Jack 29th April 2013 10:14 PM

The Witch Who Came From the Sea

I wonder if the Video Nasty tag had put me off checking this out sooner. Pretty fantastic, more in line with Let's Scare Jessica to Death or a Polanski film than the cheap sleaze-fest I was expecting. The strange line readings and woozy central performance also gave it a dreamlike Carnival of Souls vibe - the run-down seaside setting also welcomed that comparison. Think I'm gonna have to seek out the R1 with commentary and making of . . .

troggi 29th April 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 338502)
I really like this one Troggi.

The UK release is uncut, however its a different release to the US Shriek Show version.

I'm with you on this Frankie, me old china, (sorry, I'm trying to be "more Southern" to keep my accent in check) I like it. There's a good story here and some enjoyable sleaze which enhances, rather than detracts from, said story. I s'pose I'm a sucker for a succubus or three!:tongue1:

artisturn 30th April 2013 07:46 AM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) -- Blu-ray

Justin101 30th April 2013 11:37 AM

I watched The Lords Of Salem last night, I don't really know what to make of it - I knew it wasn't going to have a coherent story - which it kinda did and it didn't, it's also very 'out there'. The music was awesome and creepy, the styling was Argento-Lite and the direction was very John Carpenter.

I did like it, I don't think it has re-watch value though, but I do want to listen to the witchy song by 'The Lords' though haha it was great, sounded Neo-Folk!!!

Bringer Of Funerals 30th April 2013 01:09 PM

A kung fu double bill last night

36 Chambers Of Shaolin
King Boxer

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th April 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 338515)
I'm with you on this Frankie, me old china, (sorry, I'm trying to be "more Southern" to keep my accent in check) I like it. There's a good story here and some enjoyable sleaze which enhances, rather than detracts from, said story. I s'pose I'm a sucker for a succubus or three!:tongue1:

I'm not Frankie.

Nordicdusk 30th April 2013 10:39 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Attachment 108859 Attachment 108860 Attachment 108861 Attachment 108862 Attachment 108863 Attachment 108864 Attachment 108865 Attachment 108866 Attachment 108867 Attachment 108868

troggi 1st May 2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 338580)
I'm not Frankie.

So sorry Demdike,
just put it down to the old age and a very mis-spent youth!
:loco:

troggi 1st May 2013 07:06 AM

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpghttp://0.tqn.com/d/horror/1/0/2/m/0/-/The-Dead-One.jpghttp://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

"The Dead One" almost had me rolling on the floor. It wasn't just the zombie, who looked like a tall Alice Cooper with psoriasis, that had rigor mortis the rest of the cast were more wooden than the furniture on the set.

"Silent Night, Bloody Night" was a good story badly shot and badly acted.

"The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer" had me laughing for the right reasons. A little fantasy strongly rooted in 1970s-'80s Britain, Peter Cooke played himself to a tee! Recommended for a glimpse at pre-Thatcher and Thatcher era Britain and a bit of light relief.

:nod:

Hawkmonger 1st May 2013 07:40 AM

Not had a lot of time to watch movies lately, it's exam season and all. But i'm off to watch Iron man 3 on Friday so i'll report on that then. Oh, and I caught snippets of the Rob Zombie Halloween last night when I was bobbing in and out of a room my mate's where watching it in. I walked in on a "jump scare" and everyone in the room shat themselves. I had no idea what all the fuss was about.:laugh:

PaulD 1st May 2013 09:11 AM

Recent viewings over the last few weeks:

Red Lights - Cillian Murphy's as good as ever but it's so unfocussed and all over the place with a couple of fairly obvious twists. A disappointing follow-up to the far superior Buried

Elevator - a group of varied people (ie stereotypes) on their way to a Wall Street party get stuck in a lift with a ticking bomb. It's Devil-lite but captivating enough for its short duration

The Perfect Host - a bank robber on the run takes refuge in Niles from Frasier's house just before a dinner party but realises he's made the wrong choice. It's a really enjoyable low-budget thriller which throws in a few too many twists for it's own good but I really enjoyed it overall. David Hyde Pierce is excellent in the role, as a more unhinged Niles.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated
- excellent documentary on the corruption that runs through the MPAA. The investigative journalism angle uncovers some worrying secrets on how the organisation operates and their double standards and hypocrisy is thoroughly alarming. It really makes you realise how good a job the BBFC actually do. And I mean that sincerely.

The Haunting of Sorority Row/ The Deadly Pledge - watched this on Netflix thinking it was a slasher but it's more of a supernatural horror. One of those awful tame made-for-tv horrors which little to recommend it. It's one of those sorority films where all the girls are so obsessed with getting into Theta Mega Sigma Pi Delta Or Whatever that I just don't care and don't understand what's so special about that sort of thing. Utter rubbish

Wilderness Survival For Girls - another lazy lying-in-bed-on-Netflix choice. 3 girls' quest for survival is tested on a weekend away to a remote cabin in the woods when they take a potentially dangerous intruder hostage. Crap.

The Traveler - Val Kilmer plays a mysterious stranger who walks into a police station to confessed to 6 murders which haven't happened yet. It's really obvious stuff but engaging enough and Kilmer's pretty good in it

Iron Man 3 - much better than Iron Man 2. Comic book purists might get their knickers in a twist due to the portrayal of one of the characters but it's funny, smart, silly and has a nice human story at its heart.

The ABCs of Death - 26 short films relating to each letter of the alphabet. The films are of varying quality and having the title at the end of each film makes it feel like a punchline but it's definitely worth a watch. It speaks volumes about the film that even though a fair few of them were awful the 2 hours didn't drag at all

The Hitcher - one of my favourite thrillers ever. Just perfection. It wastes no time getting into the setup and once it does it doesn't relent. Rutger Haueur is incredible in the role as the sadistic antagonist.

The Hitcher II: I’ve Been Waiting - rubbish retread of the original which doesn't even attempt to look like it's bothered

Rumpelstiltskin - I saw this 90's 'horror' film years ago on Sky Movies and have always wanted to see it since to check if it was as ridiculously poor as my youthful brains initial assessment. Mark Jones' Rumpelstiltskin makes Mark Jones' Leprechaun look like Citizen Kane. It's so dumb but so 90's.

Dolls - probably need to see more Charles Band stuff to get a better handle on it but if Dolls is as good as they get I'll just give them a miss. I get the feeling that these films have the nostalgic factor going for them more than anything else although the girlfriend really liked it.

J Harker 1st May 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 338748)
Recent viewings over the last few weeks:

Red Lights - Cillian Murphy's as good as ever but it's so unfocussed and all over the place with a couple of fairly obvious twists. A disappointing follow-up to the far superior Buried

Elevator - a group of varied people (ie stereotypes) on their way to a Wall Street party get stuck in a lift with a ticking bomb. It's Devil-lite but captivating enough for its short duration

The Perfect Host - a bank robber on the run takes refuge in Niles from Frasier's house just before a dinner party but realises he's made the wrong choice. It's a really enjoyable low-budget thriller which throws in a few too many twists for it's own good but I really enjoyed it overall. David Hyde Pierce is excellent in the role, as a more unhinged Niles.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated
- excellent documentary on the corruption that runs through the MPAA. The investigative journalism angle uncovers some worrying secrets on how the organisation operates and their double standards and hypocrisy is thoroughly alarming. It really makes you realise how good a job the BBFC actually do. And I mean that sincerely.

The Haunting of Sorority Row/ The Deadly Pledge - watched this on Netflix thinking it was a slasher but it's more of a supernatural horror. One of those awful tame made-for-tv horrors which little to recommend it. It's one of those sorority films where all the girls are so obsessed with getting into Theta Mega Sigma Pi Delta Or Whatever that I just don't care and don't understand what's so special about that sort of thing. Utter rubbish

Wilderness Survival For Girls - another lazy lying-in-bed-on-Netflix choice. 3 girls' quest for survival is tested on a weekend away to a remote cabin in the woods when they take a potentially dangerous intruder hostage. Crap.

The Traveler - Val Kilmer plays a mysterious stranger who walks into a police station to confessed to 6 murders which haven't happened yet. It's really obvious stuff but engaging enough and Kilmer's pretty good in it

Iron Man 3 - much better than Iron Man 2. Comic book purists might get their knickers in a twist due to the portrayal of one of the characters but it's funny, smart, silly and has a nice human story at its heart.

The ABCs of Death - 26 short films relating to each letter of the alphabet. The films are of varying quality and having the title at the end of each film makes it feel like a punchline but it's definitely worth a watch. It speaks volumes about the film that even though a fair few of them were awful the 2 hours didn't drag at all

The Hitcher - one of my favourite thrillers ever. Just perfection. It wastes no time getting into the setup and once it does it doesn't relent. Rutger Haueur is incredible in the role as the sadistic antagonist.

The Hitcher II: I’ve Been Waiting - rubbish retread of the original which doesn't even attempt to look like it's bothered

Rumpelstiltskin - I saw this 90's 'horror' film years ago on Sky Movies and have always wanted to see it since to check if it was as ridiculously poor as my youthful brains initial assessment. Mark Jones' Rumpelstiltskin makes Mark Jones' Leprechaun look like Citizen Kane. It's so dumb but so 90's.

Dolls - probably need to see more Charles Band stuff to get a better handle on it but if Dolls is as good as they get I'll just give them a miss. I get the feeling that these films have the nostalgic factor going for them more than anything else although the girlfriend really liked it.

I really really enjoyed Dolls when I first seen it but that was years ago, wish someone would get it out over here so I can give it another whirl. Rumpelstiltskin is a film I'd forgotten existed! Good god that's from another time. Remember quite liking it though. Iron Man 3 was great though!

Handyman Joe 1st May 2013 05:14 PM

Watched the Cohen Films blu ray of Tristana last night (excellent package and cheap on Amazon). I'm on a real Bunuel tip at the moment and this was well up to snuff. Takes place in Toledo - familiar to all Lisa and the Devil fans and a place made for woozy psychodramas. Not much happens on the surface but underneath is seething with maggots as Catherine Deneuve and Fernando Rey lay bare their rotten souls. Sounds heavy but the director has such a lightness of touch and ready wit that the whole thing flies by. Just ordered L'age D'or and Discreet Charm... Can't wait!

gag 1st May 2013 07:01 PM

Just a curious Q?

There a new zombie series starting soon but can't remember what is it and when it start can anyone enlighten me all I remember is reading it over a month ago and that it start around 2 3 this month.

bdc 1st May 2013 07:53 PM

Viewed since my last "recently viewed" post:

http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...g?k=6ab2d4709c http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...g?k=432ea644fb http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...g?k=c3d6232ab0 http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...g?k=265ddbee98 http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...g?k=ee77d6a6f3

http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...g?k=36a83eef44 http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...g?k=110cf90e6e http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...g?k=08c40c806a http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...g?k=b656f1939f

Btw I watched the original theatrical version of Ashes of Time,not the Redux version.

Rik 1st May 2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 338861)
Just a curious Q?

There a new zombie series starting soon but can't remember what is it and when it start can anyone enlighten me all I remember is reading it over a month ago and that it start around 2 3 this month.

If it's Zombieland then I've heard it's utter shite!

Nordicdusk 1st May 2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 338871)

I have only heard bad things about it too. It never seemed like a good idea i love the film but it should be just that.

Rik 1st May 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 338872)
I have only heard bad things about it too. It never seemed like a good idea i love the film but it should be just that.

Me too, I love the film, I've heard people complain about the lack of zombie action but it's one of my favourite films of the last few years, plus it stars Bill Murray so that's usually a bonus!

Nordicdusk 1st May 2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 338874)
Me too, I love the film, I've heard people complain about the lack of zombie action but it's one of my favourite films of the last few years, plus it stars Bill Murray so that's usually a bonus!

I have nothing to add to that sums it up perfect for me also.

Hawkmonger 1st May 2013 09:21 PM

The trailer for the pilot was cringe inducing.:coolblue:

gag 1st May 2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 338871)

Nah I'm sure it's not that but I've seen first episode and I thought it was pants,
Think it was one of those where they tried to hard to make it a hit and went ott and failed. Sure it's a brand new zombie series not that one tho,

gag 1st May 2013 09:39 PM

Wreck it Ralph, not quite exactly what I was expecting was expecting something else, didn't think there was enough humour and jokes in it and was a bit to sugar and sweet, but still think it was entertaining watch tho.

troggi 1st May 2013 10:33 PM

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/844628090...1_s260x420.JPGhttp://i43.tower.com/images/mm107027...-cover-art.jpghttp://moviesluv.com/screenshots/The...-%20DvdRip.jpg

"Hell Penitentiary" Why?

"Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth" - Not the best of the bunch but still a lot of fun. Loved the Cenobites as usual.

"The Shrine" What can I add that hasn't already been said about this film, it's dark brooding and bloody good!

:nod:

monkeyscreams 1st May 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 338811)
Just ordered L'age D'or

This one L'Age d'Or [DVD + Blu-ray] [1930]: Amazon.co.uk: Luis Buñuel, Salvador DalÃ*: Film & TV ?
It includes the full version of Un Chien Andalou. Very weird, but I love it. I have only seen this one and Belle de Jour Belle De Jour [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Catherine Deneuve, Jean Sorel, Michel Piccoli, Genevieve Page, Pierre Clémenti, Francisco Rabal, Francoise Fabian, Maria Latour, Luis Buñuel, Robert Hakim, Raymond Hakim: Film & TV but would like to see more Bunuel. Recommendations are welcome.

monkeyscreams 1st May 2013 11:03 PM

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Still one of the best films ever. It is clever, funny and serious also. I could watch this every week (if I had the time and a pile of other films I ought to watch) and not get bored. We all know " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.", but that only scratches the surface. Great film, go watch if you haven't yet. And again, and again...

keirarts 1st May 2013 11:05 PM

Going to the cinema to see IRON MAN 3 a second time (love it) started raining this afternoon so stuck a film on....

MAGNOLIA.

Still remember going to see P.T Andersons 3 hour misery epic on the big screen back in the last century when I was at uni. A varied cast of characters whose lives intersect due to strange coincidences the film piles misery upon misery on them. At least two of the characters have terminal cancer, others are struggling victims of various forms of child abuse, from the child quiz show star now a washed up neurotic mess to the coke fiend struggling with memories of abuse. Magnolia delves deep into the psychological scar tissue of all the characters...

And then it rains frogs...

Surprisingly it turns out to be very life affirming by the end but anyone looking for a feel good film should avoid. Personally after all these years I still love it and it still holds up.

The entertainment blu-ray looks great as well.

artisturn 2nd May 2013 05:44 AM

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 (2012)

Beyond72 2nd May 2013 10:13 AM

Duel
Rawhead Rex
Day of the Dead
Mulholland Drive

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd May 2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 338906)
Recommendations are welcome.

I'd definitely recommend checking out The Exterminating Angel and Simon of the Desert.