Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr No. 1969.

I commented on this last year so won't go into it except the upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray was the smart move I made, great picture and sound quality and still a great action and spy movie.

91H7nJWknIL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Double Team. 1997.

A counter terrorist agent Jack Quin is lured from retirement after his previous target Stavros resurfaces. When he fails to take him out and sent to a island for ex agent's, Quinn teams up with a arms dealer to take out Stavros and rescue his wife.

This is not by means Van Damme's best movie nor is it his worse, apparently the script went through so many many changes like Dennis Rodman's hair throughout the film but it is entertaining enough to pass 90 minutes. Mickey Rourke plays the terrorist Stavros, his character as a villain is not great as he seems to relaxed to be a villain, the fight scenes and actions scenes are decent.

220px-Double_team_ver1.jpg
Old 24th May 2021, 01:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

North Sea Hijack. 1980.

When terrorists take over two oil rigs and threaten to blow them up, a anti-terrorism expert leads a team of commando's to stop them.

This is certainly not the greatest action packed thriller that I was looking forward to seeing yet it's enjoyable at the same time, Roger Moore plays the wise cracking Ffolkes who leads the team to take rescue of the rigs while Anthony Perkins plays terrorist leader Kramer who at the end still hates Ffolkes's face. There is a good star cast with Michael Parks, David Hedison, George Baker and James Mason. Second viewing will happen but any time soon.

91Opm8fkhYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 24th May 2021, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Possessor. 2020.

Vos who works for a secret organisation which uses brain implants of people and uses their bodies for assassination, her latest target she uses the body of a man and becomes trapped.

Brandon Cronenberg had something really good with this, it's different to other Science-Fiction horror, and following his father's footsteps with the gore, even though it is mild you can tell he watched his father's movies. There is a good assortment of actors from Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sean Bean, Andrea Riseborough, this seemed to fall apart halfway through and became slow burning and uninteresting. Not sure if it be one i will come back to.

MV5BMjBlYTlhMDctNTQ3ZC00MjM4LWIxNjctNDI4NjA3NDc3Yzc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg
Old 24th May 2021, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prom Night. 1980.

After the accidental death of a classmate, a couple of kids decide not to report or speak of it. Six years later someone is out to kill the kids at their prom night.

Did I blink and miss something or did the movie jump or skip a few scenes, i'm sure about the start the teens start getting the calls then the stalking, do their dances at the prom then the killer shows up, 3/4s of the film for a decent killing. Probably back in it's day this may have been big, suspenseful movie but this was a different kind of slow slasher movie, I may return to it but not anytime soon.

Daft question, are the sequels any better?

MV5BOTI5MjZkZDMtOGI3OS00NTE2LWI3ZmItZTZjOTk1NTE2ZDc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 24th May 2021, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Prom Night. 1980.

After the accidental death of a classmate, a couple of kids decide not to report or speak of it. Six years later someone is out to kill the kids at their prom night.

Did I blink and miss something or did the movie jump or skip a few scenes, i'm sure about the start the teens start getting the calls then the stalking, do their dances at the prom then the killer shows up, 3/4s of the film for a decent killing. Probably back in it's day this may have been big, suspenseful movie but this was a different kind of slow slasher movie, I may return to it but not anytime soon.

Attachment 233451
enjoyed the second with its supernatural theme , this I just found very dull and boring, not seen any of the others but the second is worth a watch
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th May 2021, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Prom Night. 1980.

Attachment 233451
Honestly. Not much. The fourth one has nothing to do with Prom Night whatsoever. I've got the four film box set that Network released ages ago. Paid about £6 for the four which is fine. There's no way i'd ever upgrade.

By the way. I think North Sea Hijack is brilliant. I'll definitely be getting that 88 blu should they ever have a sale again.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
enjoyed the second with its supernatural theme , this I just found very dull and boring, not seen any of the others but the second is worth a watch
Cheers Treb
Old 24th May 2021, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Honestly. Not much. The fourth one has nothing to do with Prom Night whatsoever. I've got the four film box set that Network released ages ago. Paid about £6 for the four which is fine. There's no way i'd ever upgrade.

By the way. I think North Sea Hijack is brilliant. I'll definitely be getting that 88 blu should they ever have a sale again.
I noticed on YouTube Prom Night 2 and 3 are on there may check them out,

North Sea Hijack I wanted to enjoy it but maybe frame of mind at time was a bit off, It will be watched again at some point
Old 24th May 2021, 10:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

I wasn't big on Prom Night either. Kinda baffled by its reputation to be honest; in every respect Terror Train is better.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I wasn't big on Prom Night either. Kinda baffled by its reputation to be honest; in every respect Terror Train is better.
I don't rate that much either to be honest. But, yes, it is better than Prom Night.

Like Prom Night i've bought it twice on dvd. Got rid of them both initially but re-bought them for slasher film completion sakes.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!