Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2021, 09:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Invasion USA. Richard Lynch heads an army of terrorists determined to bring the US to its knees and only Chuck Norris can stop him! Ludicrous 80s action flick that's utterly moronic but just about watchable thanks to its general 80sness.
Old 6th June 2021, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Rejuvenator. 1988.

A ageing actress hires a scientist to create a formula to make her look young and get the spotlight again, the formula she uses has monstrous side effects.

This is a take on the "Fountain of youth tale" or in this case the Serum of youth, that blends with some decent acting, the script may be at times all over the place and some good make up effects from Ed French but again it's the 80s and why we love these films from out younger days.

For a homage to Jekyll and Hyde (this was what I thought it was) it was decent with some good gore and blood splatter, it does combine the slasher genre with a monster movie genre it did make a good combination even though it shouldn't work but the makers tried their best to make sure it did, this is one of those forgotten movies but thankfully someone uploaded on youtube.

the-rejuvenator-dvd.jpg
Old 6th June 2021, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Longest Day (1962)

I've reviewed this before. It's a great document of the D-Day landings which took place 77 years ago today on the beaches of France.

I'd simply like to say that this was the best looking Blu-Ray that i've seen to date. Absolutely stunning in it's clarity.

The difference in picture and sound quality to the dvd is immense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7147KoyFWmL._AC_SX466_.jpg (35.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th June 2021, 06:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

..And another!

Yeah, the picture on the Blu ray is outstanding!
Old 7th June 2021, 06:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Watcher In The Woods. 1980.

When a American family move to a English countryside cottage, the two daughters begin to hear and see things that were connected to a tragedy that happened 30 years earlier involving a twelve year old girl.

The era of the 80s when Disney went from making happy children films then going darker and probably terrifying to a younger audience but at least Bette Davis managed to keep her cool in this and not bitch slap people. Future Bond Girl Lynne Holly-Johnson plays the older sister who is seeing the apparition the deceased girl while Kyle Richards hears the voices. Ms Richards was a decent talented young actress before she became a a Real Diva...I mean a Real Housewife. There is some good co stars from Caroll Baker, Ian Bannen and David McCallum, even after 40 years this film hasn't really aged at all and still has some quite good suspense moments.

The_Watcher_in_the_Woods.jpg

There is a remake from 2017, has anyone seen it ? if so is it worth a glance?
Old 7th June 2021, 08:54 PM
Cult Master

MV5BZDE2YTdkMmYtZTU2MC00M2U4LTk4Y2QtOTMxYTY4ZWQ5NzVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

Some martial arts students are on a trip to find a fabled island that is haunted by the ghosts of martial artists that have lost their honor. On top of that the island is inhabited by cannibalistic monks who are running a deal with a gang from the mainland trafficking sex workers for the monk to feast upon. But we are not done there apart from ghosts sex worker cannibal monks and organised criminals there are also zombies on the island and the waters are also filled with man eating piranhas .

Everything about this film is absolutely ridiculous the characters the acting the dialogue the scenarios every single detail but it's entertaining as hell. The really must of worked hard to find one of the ugliest and oddest looking cast for this film . I gotta give a shout out to the director he used every opportunity possible to have tits on screen even in the most ridiculous situations just tits for the sake of tits . The martial arts is both awesome and hilarious stand out scene is when one guy tried to doing a flying kick through a truck window to stop one of the thugs getting away which as you can imagine was a completely pointless endeavour

If you like shit films and tits this is your dream come true

7/10
Old 7th June 2021, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Night Flier. 1997.

A reporter goes on a trail of a murderer known as " The Night Flier".

Stephen King has brought us amazing wonderful stories over the years and managed to do a story of a vampire called Dwight Renfield (homage to Dwight Frye who played Renfield), the film does have it's flaw moments but Miguel Ferrer's acting can make you forget them as the reporter Richard Dees. This has the hallmarks of King's work, with Suspense, horror, and bit of a messed up ending that somehow pays off decently. Originally was not really a big fan of this but after a few watches it is enjoyable.

Cover_of_The_Night_Flier.jpg
Old 7th June 2021, 09:32 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMTU1ODkzMDY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTA1MzY5._V1_.jpg

Special FX master Roland Tyler is hired by a government agency to stage the murder of a high ranking mob boss who is about to go into witness protection. Once the murder is staged the agency double crosses Roland and now there is a hit on him and now he must use his skills to save his life and find out what is really going on.

F/X is a great film with plenty of action and suspense its pretty fast paced with little to no filler just pure entertainment. There are some great ideas and the use of Rolands FX work is brilliant and clever but the start of the film has to be Brian Dennehy i love him in every film he is in he has so much presence and steals every scene he is in he had a bit of everything in his performances he can be light hearted or hard and nails taking no shit from anyone and we get a bit of all that here. It had been years since i last saw F/X i had both of them on VHS so it really brought me back watching this again and it was just as much fun as i remembered it i will definitely go back to it again.

Also a great tune for the final credits so 80s.

8/10
Old 8th June 2021, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Old Dark House. 1963.

A American staying in England is invited to a house by his friend, when he arrives his friend is dead and is introduced to his friend's family who seem to be getting killed in mysterious circumstances.

William's Castle's homage to the old 30s-40s dark house murder mystery movies but this has a odd ball of characters and some good laughs in it that makes it entertaining. Tom Poston plays the car salesman who is invited the a big country house and finds himself involved in a mystery. Fenella Fielding plays the relative who has a over protective mute father, Mervyn Johns plays the eccentric who has built a ark and believes the ending is coming and Robert Mortley who thinks the American is a distant relative to the family. Mad cap comedy with some suspense but certainly worth a watch.

p41556_p_v10_ab.jpg
Old 8th June 2021, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ghost and The Guest. 1943.

A couple on honeymoon end up staying at a dark gloomy house.

It's amazing how directors back in the day can create a film under a hour and able to film everything at a pace yet some directors today hurry things along and miss bits out. This was a screwball comedy with the house that reveals it's secrets and a man always talking about the ones he hanged and able to make a joke out of it, the jokes may be outdated but still laughable to hear.

MV5BMjE4NTU0MjcyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE3NDgyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!