Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2021, 07:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Started into my WEIRD WISCONSIN boxset with MONSTER A GO GO.

Strangely.after reading so many negative reviews,this held my interest for the sixt eight minute duration.
Even though the total budget was roughly ten bob!

Don't know if I can handle a second night in a row though with Invasion from Inner Earth!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (105.5 KB, 5 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th June 2021, 09:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm going on the record with this hot take. I like Ewoks

Edit, just found this EPIC depiction of the fandom's hatred of Ewoks, this picture is called Porg Vs Ewok

I can't stand Ewoks, the militant wing of The Care Bears. I find them annoying and distracting from the action sequences.

They aren't as grating as Jar Jar Binks, but few things are.
Old 9th June 2021, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Diabolical (2015)

Some rather cool creature effects give the supernatural entities a look of being shat out of hell rather than the usual stuff these films generally throw at us. But the story felt too familiar to make it successful or particularly memorable even though it's held together by the always watchable Ali Larter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-diabolical-2015-featured.jpg (93.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th June 2021, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Disco Godfather (1979, Robert Wagoner)

RRM sports the most amazing one piece outfit for the majority of this film, for this alone we must be grateful
Bad stuff is happenin' in the neighbourhood and Dolemite feels his civic muscle needs flexing in his own particular style ... so to speak
Featuring a rather crazed end section, this tale of do goodery and disco does teeter on the tracks in a couple of spots but we got there in the end praise the lawd etc etc. A tad cloying, which is a phrase I never thought I'd use in a Rudy Ray Moore review .

Breadcrumb Trail (2014, Lance Bangs)

The story of Slint told in a brisk but informative way. Not a lot of ego on show, though plenty to tell ahem. Spawning from the local hardore scene but eventually carving their own path, watching this now may be redundant considering how much of that sound I've heard regurgitated in various forms over the years.
Ignoring that, it's a great band documentary in that when you finally get to actually see footage you will say it was worth it. Ahem.

Runaway Nightmare (1982, Michael Cartel)

And where's this been all my life??
Truly a one off. Is it one man's midlife crisis with incidental music? I sat properly agog with this mother. Two ... entymologists are taking a break and they spies some nefariousness, so pokes their proboscis in and regrets this action almost immediately. What transpires next is akin to a dream after watching too many episodes of The Outer Limits and digesting the sort of mushrooms that Hugh wouldn't recommend
Was a tad sludge like at this point, so will revisit shortly ... juuuust to make sure ahem.

Special Silencers (1979, Arizal)

Ahem. Last but least in no way shape, form, substance ETC, this is my trifecta isn't it??
.... aaaaaaaaand he disnae let us down either. The print (cropped 4:3), well that's another matter, 4K this NOW

Barry Prima turns up this time to kick folk as Peter obviously finally got that appointment at the hairdressers he so badly needed
Yet again the dialogue, the stunts, the generous claret and one particular effect just reminded me that there is something unique about the films from this year imho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BT.jpg (587.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RN.jpg (96.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg special_silencers.jpg (98.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DG.jpg (105.6 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th June 2021, 09:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (6).jpg
SPIDER-MAN 3 (2007)

This is where it all went wrong! A mess of a movie with too many story threads.
It all starts off so well, and I thought The Sandman was excellent. The Peter and Mary Jane story was also good.
Studio interference had Venom included who was popular in the comics at the time. This leads to downright embarrassing and stupid scenes of Peter's change of character as he dances and struts down the street and in a bar. Awful!
Harry's appearance as the new Goblin is also rushed and looks like a sky surfer from 2000AD comic!
Gwen Stacy was another character forced to the roster but she is good although her time is limited.
Spider-Man 4 was due to go into production but director Raimi had had enough of studio interference and left the franchise.
Old 10th June 2021, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Legionnaire. 1998.

Alain is a boxer paid to take a dive in the second round, when he doesn't he is chased and hides in a recruiting office for the French Foreign Legion, while the gangster wants him killed.

Even though this is a Van Damme picture don't expect him to be throwing a lot of kicks and punches, this is more about a war mixed with drama. Steven Berkoff stars as Sgt. Steinkampf who wants to break the new recruits and turn them into real men, usually in some films I have seen Berkoff in he ends up being a real prick, in this he is more of a pleasant actor to like. This is actually a decent film to watch with a decent background score and taken seriously and loosely based on what happened in the 1920s with a war that broke out that seemed to be forgotten about.

MV5BMTI0MjEwMzQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI2MDcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th June 2021, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Machine Gun Kelly. 1958.

George "Machine Gun" Kelly and his gang pull off one bank robbery and then another, with his girl Flo, the police are now looking for them both after they pull off a kidnapping that leads to a stand off with police.

Roger Corman is probably better known as a B grade movie director and often associated with Vincent Price with their movies regarding Edgar Allan Poe, Corman managed to turn to directing his first gangster movie With Charles Bronson as Kelly. Saw this yesterday on T.V. and loved it. Before becoming a Vigilante, Bronson is a tough guy in this as the wanted criminal and Susan Cabot as the leading lady Flo. At times this can be suspenseful right up to the end, Corman knew how to make a decent 1930s gangster movie and make it look authentic and entertaining.

220px-Machine-Gun-Kelly-poster.jpg
Old 10th June 2021, 04:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Of Night. 1943.

Guest staying at country house are entwined to tell each other stories involving the supernatural.

This has has always been a classic anthology tales of creative mind back in the day, even re-watching it again today still had me on the edge of my seat. The tales are told perfectly with brilliant acting and directing, of course with each story there is always a unexpected twist to add the the mix. This had to be a inspiration for the anthology films that Hammer and Amicus created that gave us chills to watch when we were younger, Thanks for this one Dem, really enjoyable to see it once more.

MV5BYTY2OTJjZjgtMzExMy00MWJlLTg2N2ItM2NhMDQxNTNkNjFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th June 2021, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Abby (1974, William Girdler)

Was worth the wait. The Blackorcist tbh. William Marshall to boot!!! Get in!!
Emmett Williams just can't make head nor tail of his wife's behaviour recently, luckily for him his dad just might have the answer and it ain't Relate .
A scream. Slightly more grounded than the Italian knock offs, though a documentary it's not , this tale of terror has all the requisites and Marshall plays the stoic to the hilt.
REWATCH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abby.jpg (105.8 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th June 2021, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice. 2016.

Concerning what happened in Metropolis, Senators and the public think Superman should account for his actions, Bruce Wayne takes on the responsibilities to bring down the man of steel, while Lex Luthor tries to create something new.

I'm not the biggest fan of Man Of Steel movie, practically called Zach Snyder alot of names thinking he had butchered my favourite superhero, like probably a lot of people I was excited to see this when it came out and was not impressed, I decided to give this new 3 hour version a look and I have changed my mind...this was f@cking awesome. There is a lot more to the story and doesn't seem to be rushed from start to finish the way the theatrical version was and some more added comical moments.

Ben Affleck probably wasn't everyone's choice for Batman after the disaster of the other superhero charcter he done, but in this he is able to do it decently and pack a good punch or two. I'm still in two minds about Jesse Eisenberg being Lex Luthor, Gene Hackman to me will always be the bald villain and Michael Rosenbaum from the t.v. series, maybe after a few watches I may take to him.

911RR0tzL2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!