Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 7th May 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 340040)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ven_Poster.jpg

I thought that I might enjoy this as E.A. Poe is one of my top 10 writers. This isn't the Poe I've come to know and love so much. Poe was a flawed character, yes, but this travesty of a characterisation is positively ridiculous. A good story ruined by an implausible lead.:(

I almost picked this up today maybe ill just borrow it after reading this.

troggi 7th May 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 340042)
I almost picked this up today maybe ill just borrow it after reading this.

Try before y' buy's a good idea with this. There are some pretty good moments in it but I'm sure that it would have been better if it had been set after Poe's death.

bdc 7th May 2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 339980)
I wasn't that impressed with the MOH episodes I saw, but along with Imprint , I enjoyed Larry Cohen's Pick Me Up, Michael Moriarty was perfect. :loco:

My favourite episodes are Deer Woman and Pick Me Up. ;)

Argento's Jenifer made me think of Fulci (which can't be bad I guess).

I haven't watched Incident On and Off a Mountain Road yet though.

bdc 7th May 2013 07:58 PM

Scream 4

This is my third or fourth viewing and the first time I'm really enjoying the film...still only halfway through btw. :)

I think the circumstances of my initial viewing weren't that good,with me going to the cinema with a girl who wasn't into it obviously...I thought she liked the Scream films...but was mistaken apparently :lol:.
And the audience keeping very quiet during the film being another thing.

This may have somewhat affected my next viewings as well.

PS the repetitive pre-credits sequence doesn't really work that well though imho.

J Harker 7th May 2013 08:10 PM

Watched The Masque of the Red Death last night for the first time. One if the few Corman/Price/Poe films I'd not seen. Have to say I was well disappointed. I like the others. Usher and Taled of Terror in particular but I just found Masque a bit...well, boring. Normally I find Vincent Price can carry of the dullest of material but this one just didn't work for me. That said it was late (ish), I was knackerd and sleep deprived as usual so maybe another viewing will improve me opinion. I did start watching De Palmas Obsession after but gave up after twenty mins cos I was just to tired and I got the impression I'd actually enjoy this one with a fresher brain. (And maybe less scotch)

gag 7th May 2013 10:35 PM

On sky horror this week was documentary video nasties moral panic, also going to pieces rise and fall of slashers. Also the new DVD slasher for ever been released and there loads more, as much as enjoy watching these I also find them annoying as because they don't offer anything new, they just keep going over the same films, why don't next time one of these so called documentaries get released why don't they cover films that people might have forgot about or obscure titles or underground films and not mainstream, just something different would be a change instead of the video nasties etc etc, or same films going over old ground,

keirarts 7th May 2013 10:43 PM

Terror Train. Fun slasher with jamie lee curtis set on a train. Scream factory's transfer looks great and the film is an effective, though somewhat tame entry into the slasher genre.

When a stranger calls. Mill creek have delivered an exellent transfer on this one. THe opening sequence of the babysitter being terrorised with the caller asking "have you checked the children?" is a classic of the genre. I always thought it went a little off the boil after the great opening but this time around I really enjoyed Charles Durnings hunt for the killer that takes up the rest of the film is more enjoyable than I remembered.

Didnt get a chane to sit through happy birthday to me but at least caught a look at the pq. Excellent and manages to top the us anchor bay disc which is no mean feat. Has the origional score as well so probably the perfect release of it (barring anyone uncovering the deleted gore footage and re-instating it!)

troggi 7th May 2013 10:53 PM

Just finished watching the very "interesting" Queen of Blood.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV..._V1_SX214_.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed this film and my enjoyment would have been greatly enhanced if I'd seen it shortly after it's release because I'd've been 6! Great use of stock footage and old lampshades (the Queen's space helmet). I thought that some of the ideas were great and the effects were... well... effective, especially the throbbing eggs. 4/10 for curiosity value.

:nod:

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 05:11 AM

I've just watched Slaughter High, Vamp, The Mexican and Rob Brydon Live (2009)

Slaughter High was entertaining on a tongue-in-cheek slasher high school kind of level.

Vamp was surprisingly good. Although Grace Jones is more masculine than any other man in he film.

Th Mexican was very funny. Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini and J.k. Simmons were all excellent in it. Julia Roberts was very annoying in it. I still can't stand her and haven't seen her in a decent film yet.

Rob Brydon... I've never laughed so hard in AGES!! The part with the Gruffalo I was crying my eyes out!!!

Hawkmonger 8th May 2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 339669)
DREDD. Nowhere near as much fun as the similarly plotted THE RAID. Sorry Hawk.

BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW. Rabidly anti youth and counter culture madness set in the mud, a theme that runs throughout another weird beard film of the same time period, PSYCHOMANIA. That said, both films are high on my all time fave list as they perfectly capture the esoteric folk byways of an England that is real and mythic at the same time.

On Dredd. Your entitled to your opinion, I just felt, as a martial artist, that the choreography in The Raid was just awful and really took me out of it. Dredd was an adaptation of source material I love and did it justice, but I can certainly see where the two divide the communities.

Blood and Satans Claws is still on my to watch pile but all this good will is making me want to push it up there a bit.

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 340048)
My favourite episodes are Deer Woman and Pick Me Up. ;)

Argento's Jenifer made me think of Fulci (which can't be bad I guess).

I haven't watched Incident On and Off a Mountain Road yet though.

I've got both MoH series (four box sets). Some episodes are brilliant some not so good. Imprint and the one with Robert Englund (can't remember the name of it) are by far the worst. Which is a shame because I love Tobe Hooper, Takeshi Miike and Robert Englund.

I've still not finished it all, but favourites have been Family, Jennifer and Cigarette Burns.

Bringer Of Funerals 8th May 2013 08:54 AM

I watched Dreams In A Witch House by MoH Stuart Gordon, I thought this was 50/50.

The set up was eerie and where it was set but I found towards the end it fell flat and too much was happening too soon. I do like Gordon's films and Lovecraft stories but I felt this missed the mark slightly

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 09:00 AM

How hot was the Deer Woman!!!! :O

J Harker 8th May 2013 09:09 AM

The show can be very hit and miss. But then that is one of the reasons I enjoyed , such varied styles from episode to episode. I think the Carpenter episode is the best in series one. Though I enjoyed most of them, Dance of the Dead with Robert Englund isn't great but I didn't think it was the worst. That prize goes to Chocolate, from the inimitable Mick Garris.

Bringer Of Funerals 8th May 2013 09:09 AM

I haven't got that far yet lol

it'smebilly 8th May 2013 09:13 AM

Overall a good show. My favourite episode is Joe Dante's the screwfly solution.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Beyond72 8th May 2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 339984)
So last night I finally watched Dead of Night (aka Deathdream) for the first time. I've had the DVD since it was released, and being a huge fan of Bob Clark's Black Christmas, as well as knowing the film's glowing rep, I was very much looking forward to it. But I was disappointed.

Same here. The scenario sounded so promising too.

SCM 8th May 2013 10:42 AM

I recently watched Tetsuo the Iron Man, The Devil's and Man Bites Dog. All of them were Brilliant movies

Beyond72 8th May 2013 11:05 AM

The making of Psycho

Manhunter

Don't think I've watched this since the days of video, and while some scenes were still effective. (Brian Cox is a creepy so and so) Have to admit I found Mann's style over substance direction amusing at times. (Not to say some of the cinematography isn't great.)

porcupine 8th May 2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 340142)
I recently watched Tetsuo the Iron Man, The Devil's and Man Bites Dog. All of them were Brilliant movies

All brilliant, agreed! So glad The Devils got a proper DVD release last year, pity it's not uncut (or on Blu-Ray), but any version is better than no version, I suppose... I haven't seen Tetsuo and Man Bites Dog in years, but they're unforgettable films, I remember seeing the former on a late-night Channel 4 screening and it was liking watching a living nightmare, so twisted and perverse, it really freaked me out!

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 11:28 AM

Yeah, Joe Dante's The Screwfly Solution was very good.

Chocolate was pretty bad.

J Harker 8th May 2013 11:46 AM

Chocolate is just deadly dull.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 11:50 AM

It's been long time since I've seen the Masters of Horror first season and haven't seen the second season – it's been on my wish list for months, if not years!

Dave Boy 8th May 2013 11:52 AM

Ray Harryhausen tribute #1

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (1956)

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 340161)
Ray Harryhausen tribute #1

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Earth Vs The Flying Saucers (1956)

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers is awesome. Haven't seen Mighty Joe Young.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 340092)
Just finished watching the very "interesting" Queen of Blood.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film

a 4/10 for curiosity value.

Bugger me!!

Your standards must be high Troggi. :loco:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 12:25 PM

My favourite from Masters of Horror is Haeckel's Tale.

A sick and twisted little puppy from the pen of Clive Barker.

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 340167)
My favourite from Masters of Horror is Haeckel's Tale.

A sick and twisted little puppy from the pen of Clive Barker.

I forgot all about that one! It's another very good one, it's also another one that has a smokin hot woman in it!!!

I'm also a massive Clive Barker fan!!!

JoshuaKaitlyn 8th May 2013 06:37 PM

From 1936:
The Great Ziegfield Bit overlong
Things to Come it was OK! A little slow in places
Dracula's Daughter Hmmm! Wasted opportunity
After the Thin Man Great movie really like the chemistry and spontaniety between Powell and Loy.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post340281

troggi 8th May 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 340165)
Bugger me!!

Your standards must be high Troggi. :loco:

If y' read on y'd see I'd've liked it more if I wa' 6. Me standards aren't high at all I just rarely gi' minus numbers.:nod:

troggi 8th May 2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 340190)
I forgot all about that one! It's another very good one, it's also another one that has a smokin hot woman in it!!!

I'm also a massive Clive Barker fan!!!

Every time som'b'dy mentions an episode I think "Ooh yeah, that w'r' a good 'un! 'Ow could Ah f'get that 'un?" or words to that effect.

:confused:

Rik 8th May 2013 06:49 PM

Apocalypse Now (1979 theatrical cut, didn't have enough time this afternoon for the Redux version)-Such a great film, marred slightly by the fact in my DVD edition it's split into two Acts over both discs, kind of annoying although the break did afford me the oppurtunity to have a cig and make myself some lunch. I really must check out Joseph Conrad's novella from which it is loosely based :nod:

Last night I watched Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers. This was one of the first Horror films I saw as a kid, an old friend of mine "borrowed" the VHS off his brother for us to watch one afternoon during the school holidays when we were about 10 I think, it was called Nightmare Vacation 2 and for years I was trying to find this film, only to realise it was just another name for Sleepaway Camp 2, I believe 23rd Century brought it out on DVD featuring the same artwork that I remembered from the VHS.
Anyway, I find it more enjoyable than part one, due to the fact it plays like a typical 80's slasher, not much in the way of plot (is there ever?), basically kids at a camp behaving badly so Angela (now played by the Boss's younger sister Pamela) can come up with creative ways in which to bump them off.
Gonna finish the trilogy later on with part 3, filmed back to back with 2.

PaulD 8th May 2013 06:54 PM

Is Sleepaway Camp 2 the one where Angela keeps making people switch tents before then killing them, to ensure no one knows they're missing? I remember that bit being ridiculously convoluted. Great film though, must go through the box set again when I have time.

Rik 8th May 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 340276)
Is Sleepaway Camp 2 the one where Angela keeps making people switch tents before then killing them, to ensure no one knows they're missing? I remember that bit being ridiculously convoluted. Great film though, must go through the box set again when I have time.

No, that's 3, 2 is the one where she dresses up like Leatherface to get the two boys dressed as Jason and Freddy :)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 07:14 PM

The Sleepaway Camp films are so much fun! Great choice Rik :nod:

PaulD 8th May 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 340284)
No, that's 3, 2 is the one where she dresses up like Leatherface to get the two boys dressed as Jason and Freddy :)

Ah cheers Rik, they've kinda merged together in my mind. Definitely due a rewatch. Along with Return to Sleepaway Camp. As Kyle says, they're so much fun.

Rik 8th May 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 340286)
The Sleepaway Camp films are so much fun! Great choice Rik :nod:

I'm a sucker for slasher films and these 3 are ones I tend to watch in order at least once a year :nod:

Come on everybody, you know the words and I bet a few of you can remember the actions too, let's all sing along with Angela...1,2,3

Sleepaway Camp 2 - Happy Camper Song - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2013 07:43 PM

The Sleepaway Camp films are awful. :nod:

Rik 8th May 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 340299)
The Sleepaway Camp films are awful. :nod:

God yeah, that's why I love 'em :lol:
To be fair, most 80's slasher films are

J Harker 8th May 2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 340272)
Every time som'b'dy mentions an episode I think "Ooh yeah, that w'r' a good 'un! 'Ow could Ah f'get that 'un?" or words to that effect.

:confused:

Good grief man how do you text like that!