Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2021, 08:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Kevin Francis, son of Freddie Francis. It's his company Tyburn who made The Ghoul, Legend of the Werewolf, Persecution and Masks of Death and none of them have had disc releases.

He simply doesn't want to know which is unfortunate.
Yeah, what is up with him? What is he holding out for?
For many people, me included.. the BBC2 Horror double bills were where we had our first taste of The Ghoul..
885cd786b5835a5a5246eed6949e89a3.jpg
Old 5th July 2021, 08:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Freaky

Latest Blumhouse release which sees a Serial Killer played by Vince Vaughn switch bodies with his then intended victim. This off course sees Vaughn playing (quite well admittingly) a High School Girl whilst a High School Girl was playing a psychotic Serial Killer. I was really looking forward to this one (and other for a unnecessary final scene) it was really enjoyable with some really nice kills.

Shogun Assassin

A Samurai's Wife is murdered so he takes his Son with him when out for revenge. Never actually seen this before and it's not bad. Kind of surprised there hasn't a release by 88 or Arrow for this one. Think the last one was done by Eureka in 2010.

The Rock

When a rogue Military Unit takes over Alcatraz Prison and threaten to release a deadly Nerve Gas it's up to former escapee Sean Connery and Chemical Weapon Expert Nicholas Cage to stop them. It's good but not as good as previously remembered. I felt it was a little too long.
Shogun Assassin is on the criterion collection lone wolf and cub release

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th July 2021, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A famous horror writer (John Carradine) is fed on by a starving vampire ( Price) whom shows his gratitude by taking the writer too the monster club, a nightclub for monsters and tells him three story's which are followed by a musical number.

The the first is the story of couple whom a thieving conmen, who take advantage of a rich and lonely man who is a Shadmock, a creature with a deadly whistle.

The second is the story of a young boy who's farther just happens to be a vampire and a group of vampire hunters led by Donald Pleasence.

Lastly the tail of a horror director who goes looking for a creepy location for his latest film and gets more than he bargained for.

The order the segments are showing is the order of how I like them. Very enjoyable if only slightly let down by the costume shop masks of the patrons of the club.

Now watching

Old 5th July 2021, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantom Of The Mall: Eric's Revenge. 1989.

When a greedy property developer wants a piece of land for a new mall and a house stands on the land, he organises the house to be torched, Eric who lives in the house is presumed dead, however he survived and is planning his revenge.

while watching this I was comparing it to the Phantom Of The Opera, we have a Anti-Hero who wears a mask, a damsel that may be in distress and a catchy soundtrack. I won't say that acting is brilliant because it's not, it's decent but not academy award, there is some decent killings in this mixed with some special effects, the 80s B movies at the best with a killer and some fighting skills that make it a good cheese fest.

mqdefault.jpg
Old 5th July 2021, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Basic Instinct. 1992.

A tough San Francisco police detective investigates former rock star who is found dead and clues lead to a thriller writer who plays a game of cat and mouse.

This film is famous for two things, catapulting Sharon Stone career and for the opening and closing of her legs during a interrogation with Wayne Knight just about drooling, good thing he had his glasses on to keep his eyes from popping out further. Michael Douglas plays the tough nosed detective who ends up falling for the crime writer Catherine Tramell who can be very seductive and a bloody tease.

Sharon Stone does play a good part as the writer, who seems to test the the will power of men and able to get anyone she wants, male or female, and knows how to be a dominatrix femme fatale like the characters in her books and enjoys some Jack Daniels and Coke.

Jeanne Tripplehorn plays the psychologist Beth Garner brought in to observe the prime suspect in the murder and throws in clues about Catherine as Catherine hands him info on the psychologist. I haven't seen this since the late 90s and only noticed, when Nick and Beth are together, either it's the heat of the moment or they like to be observed,which gives a insight into the mind of a psychologist as across the other flats from them curtains are wide open.

Paul Verhoeven is no stranger to these type of films as seen in his previous films from his homeland and able to keep things tense in the cat and mouse game of is it Catherine or is it someone else, and able to do a good car chase scene, just a shame his film Showgirls didn't become a decent film like this one.
Why did this film get so much hate, even from the title surely people knew what the film's content would be or do some not appreciate a bit of decent thrillers thrown in their way?

Attachment 234310
A high point of 90's thrillers, which seemed to be everywhere back then.
Near the end, make sure you pause it when Michael Douglas reads the book manuscript...everything becomes a bit clearer.
trebor8273, Graveyard and MrBarlow like this.
Old 6th July 2021, 12:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Class Of Nuke 'Em High Part II: Subhumanoid Meltdown. 1991.

Tromaville Nuclear Plant has been rebuilt, on the grounds is Tromaville College, Newspaper reporter Roger meets a subhumanoid Victoria who has a short life span and tries to help her from her fate while battling a giant mutated squirrel.

We have a guy talking to a tape and calling on Diane...sounds a bit Twin Peaks but hey ho it's Troma, even Roger mentions about if God was to save his girl he will stop watching their movies. The first film was daft but enjoyable but this one kinda like it but not hyped up about it that I will give it another re-watch soon which may not happen for a while. The acting is...It's a troma film so you may know what to expect even a actor has a high pitched voice, like his nuts are trapped in a vice.

91McFjW-1-L._SL1500_.jpg
Old 6th July 2021, 12:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE SHADOW OF THE CAT
A Hammer Film in all but name and with a terrific cast, this black and white b picture has a family squabbling over inheritance money, while at the same time, trying to away with a cat that knows their gruesome secret.
Nicely directed by John Gilling and featuring some neat distorted POV shots from the cat itself, this makes for a very entertaining 79 mins.
As usual, beautifully presented by Indicator and featuring some great extras, including a lovely interview with the late great Barbara Shelley - if you don’t find this both a joy and also very moving, then there’s something wrong with you.

THE SAVAGE THREE
Joe Dallesandro stars in this Italian take on a Clockwork Orange type tale, with seemingly random acts of violence committed by the titular savage three thugs.
Not as violent as other Italian thrillers at the time, it still has its moments, including a couple of scenes of mice fighting in a glass cage, that was censored by the BBFC, resulting in a rather naff blacking out of the screen for these scenes.
Interestingly, if you have a multiregion Blu Ray player and set it to region A, you can view the uncensored US version, which I guess gives us another example of why the BBFC censoring scenes in films these days is pretty pointless.
Old 6th July 2021, 06:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Catchfire (1990)

Oddball thriller in which Jodie Foster witnesses a Mafia hit and goes to the police. Mob boss Vincent Price and his main man Joe Pesci hire crack hitman Dennis Hopper to get rid of Foster before she can talk.

Rather than kill Foster, Hopper becomes infatuated with her and the two end up on the run from the mob in the desert.

Hardly conventional by thriller standards, it has strange plot twists and even stranger character development but it doesn't really bother me when it has such a fine ensemble cast on screen. Aside from Hopper, Foster, Price and Pesci we also get Dean Stockwell, Charlie Sheen, John Turturro, Fred Ward, Catherine Keener and Bob Dylan. Do they all know what they are doing? Possibly not, Ward might even be in a different movie altogether, but Catchfire is a bit of fun and has a well filmed helicopter set piece at it's bullet strewn climax.

I like this quirky piece, clearly more than Hopper the director did as he disowned it prior to release and it went out under the director pseudonym Alan Smithee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Film_Poster_for_Catchfire.jpg (20.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th July 2021, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young orphaned girl is brought too a noble house to conceive a male aire , she soon learns that the family is under a curse under which all male members are killed. She teams up with young exorcist to protect her unborn child. Enjoyable and creepy.

Now watching this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 6th July 2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
THE SHADOW OF THE CAT
A Hammer Film in all but name and with a terrific cast, this black and white b picture has a family squabbling over inheritance money, while at the same time, trying to away with a cat that knows their gruesome secret.
Nicely directed by John Gilling and featuring some neat distorted POV shots from the cat itself, this makes for a very entertaining 79 mins.
As usual, beautifully presented by Indicator and featuring some great extras, including a lovely interview with the late great Barbara Shelley - if you don’t find this both a joy and also very moving, then there’s something wrong with you.

THE SAVAGE THREE
Joe Dallesandro stars in this Italian take on a Clockwork Orange type tale, with seemingly random acts of violence committed by the titular savage three thugs.
Not as violent as other Italian thrillers at the time, it still has its moments, including a couple of scenes of mice fighting in a glass cage, that was censored by the BBFC, resulting in a rather naff blacking out of the screen for these scenes.
Interestingly, if you have a multiregion Blu Ray player and set it to region A, you can view the uncensored US version, which I guess gives us another example of why the BBFC censoring scenes in films these days is pretty pointless.
Not everyone imports nor do they wish to see any real animal/human violence. Granted I'm in the minority, but I believe that just because something is in a final version of a film, that it's automatically untouchable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!