Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2021, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Night of the Creeps. 30 years after an alien landing, an infested corpse held in cryogenic suspension is accidentally let loose and zombie-creating alien parasites are soon on the prowil. This mid 80s comedy-horror is something of a cult fave but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. It's okay, but feels a bit undercooked to me and certainly pales next to the likes of Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Comet IMO.
Gave it a go but gave up early on, the cheap Alien costumes and the way the scene set in the 50's was filmed, I realized it wasn't for me.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Criterion's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD on the 4k player.

As in Barr's Irn Bru......

ORIGINAL AND BEST.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Criterion's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD on the 4k player.

As in Barr's Irn Bru......

ORIGINAL AND BEST.
Which is he best blu of Night of the Living Dead. Best as in picture and sound quality. Extras not necessary.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions

Survivors from previous Escape Rooms are again placed in Escape Rooms where they try to survive. It's more of the same really and I believe that the makers think that they are being clever but don't pull it off. TBH, I would have liked it if they had explained how the company running it are able to pull it off apparently in New York without no-one noticing.

Mermaids

Set in the 60's, this film sees the story of Cher and her Daughters, Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci as they move to a small town and encounter relationships and crushes. Bob Hoskins co-stars. I really liked this one, it was fun and has a good soundtrack.

Black Widow

Following on from Captain America: Civil War sees Natasha Romanoff try to take down the person responsible for her training. Yeah instantly forgettable and TBH, the next 2 films in the Marvel Universe don't intrigue me either.

Maximum Overdrive

Stephen King Directs Emilio Estevez in the story machines turning crazy and killing people. The reviews for this one aren't favorable however this is one of those films where I can't understand why, I found it to be completely enjoyable, great opening sequences.

Final Round

1994 B-Movie take on The Running Man which sees Lorenzo Lamas kidnapped and then hunted by sadistic killers. This is one of those, it is what it is type of movies, the kind you know whether you like it or not by looking at the cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ertoc.jpg (8.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bw.jpg (11.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mo.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg fr.jpg (11.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st July 2021, 10:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Criterion hands down mate.Incredible pic and sound.
The museum of modern art funded the transfer and it will blow you away.

Also come with a second disc of extras.
Buy it.
Watch it.
Come back and say...
Reaper you weren't kidding!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Criterion hands down mate.Incredible pic and sound.
The museum of modern art funded the transfer and it will blow you away.

Also come with a second disc of extras.
Buy it.
Watch it.
Come back and say...
Reaper you weren't kidding!
There's a couple of Criterions i'd like (Midnight Cowboy, Dazed and Confused) so the next time Amazon knock a few pounds off i'll order the three. They regularly knock em' down to £13
Justin101 likes this.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Toll. 2020.

Cami takes a Uber from the airport to visit her family, Spencer her driver follows his GPS up a different stretch of road, when the car breaks down they realise its the least of their problems when they are being tormented by a supernatural threat.

This is like The Blair witch without the found footage and going in circles and we actually see the threat, low budget psychological horror with one or two jumps scares and urban legend type story created by the writer and director. It does start off slow but does build the characterisation up well with the two main actors, best watched in the dark.

MV5BMTI1M2E0ZTktNDdmMy00MWNlLWE4YTItZTNjM2ExZDk1MTY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane. 1976.

13 year old Rynn lives in a quiet town, claiming that her poet dad is there with her who nobody sees, Mrs Hallet who Rynn rents the house from wants to know everything about her, Rynn also finds out her son Frank who visits the house is a pervert, but Rynn has secrets of her own.

This one I have somehow avoided as it didn't really appeal to me but Shudder have on there and thought why not...this was a little gem that I should have watched before now. Jodie Foster does have the makings of a sociopath in this and even at the end giving a blank expression while someone dies in front of her. Martin Sheen plays Frank who is the landlady's son and something of a predator in this and half expecting him to meet his maker and finally it happens. Probably back in the day it may have been a horror but it's more chiller/thriller now and entertaining.

MV5BZjc1MzA2ZjctYTZjNy00YzYwLTljYmItZTJiZDRhMjZlMDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane. 1976.
Bought this in their last sale along with River's Edge.

Still haven't got round to watching it. (Nor River's Edge)
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Phantom of the Opera (1943)

By far the worst of the Universal Monster movies, Phantom is practically redundant as a horror film and the great Claude Rains suffers from barely being in the middle third despite being the star of the show as the masked phantom who haunts a Paris opera house. Instead we get Nelson Eddy and Edgar Barrier bumbling about attempting to woo lovely Susanna Foster.

Having said that the chandelier sequence remains a classic slice of grand guignol and the classic Universal sets and sound stages look terrific in stunning high definition.

I'm biased about Phantom. I don't like any of the movies made other than the 1925 silent version and Dario Argento's slasher style reinterpretation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81aGRiHuUxL._RI_.jpg (99.5 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!