All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There's a couple of Criterions i'd like (Midnight Cowboy, Dazed and Confused) so the next time Amazon knock a few pounds off i'll order the three. They regularly knock em' down to £13
Dazed & Confused is one of their £26 ones so you won't get a bargain on that one unfortunately but it's a great disc, I paid full price for it. Has a really comprehensive booklet.

Night... is one of the cheaper ones though, it's often reduced, either 2 for £25 or similar, well worth it, the picture quality is top notch, worth grabbing Carnival of Souls too. Knocks the socks off the Network discs for both films

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd July 2021, 01:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Dazed & Confused is one of their £26 ones so you won't get a bargain on that one unfortunately but it's a great disc, I paid full price for it. Has a really comprehensive booklet.

Night... is one of the cheaper ones though, it's often reduced, either 2 for £25 or similar, well worth it, the picture quality is top notch, worth grabbing Carnival of Souls too. Knocks the socks off the Network discs for both films
Cat People is another i want.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 22nd July 2021, 01:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Cat People is another i want.
That one looks fantastic as well!
There has only recently been a Criterion multi-buy offer so it might be a couple of months for the next one, but I'm sure they did one around late Sep/early Oct last year.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd July 2021, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's a couple of Criterions i'd like (Midnight Cowboy, Dazed and Confused) so the next time Amazon knock a few pounds off i'll order the three. They regularly knock em' down to £13
MIDNIGHT COWBOY is another must......

HMV are doing 20% off Criterions mate.....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Btw do we have a dedicated 4k UHD thread?

If not,shall we start one?
Yes, there's one here:

The Ultra HD Blu-ray Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy. 1959.

In 1895 a small expedition find the tomb of Egyptian Princess Ananka and accidentally awaken the her High Priest. 1898 back in England The High Priest is seeking revenge with help of a follower.

This was another great piece from Hammer Horror with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing with Terence Fisher at the helm, nobody would win a academy award for this but you can't help notice the colourful sets of the tomb and the interiors of the houses and the gloomy atmosphere over the bog at the end of movie. Even the climatic end always made me sit on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I watch it.

220px-Themummy1959poster.jpg
Old 23rd July 2021, 01:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Matrix Revolutions (2003)

Considering how good the original Matrix film still is, it's such a pity that it's two sequels, made to expand on the story are such messes. This final film to date is pretty appalling for it's first hour, seemingly rehashing the plot of the second film.

It's far too talky and the talk is inane nonsense. It's only in the second hour and the attack on Zion by millions of Sentinels does it become anything more than merely watchable. Even then it's simply a CGI space battle which although spectacular lacks any excitement.

I hope the fourth film, out later this year, focuses on the characters and grounded combat as in The Matrix rather than CGI madness because they'll never outdo Marvel when it comes to chucking planets at one another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-matrix-revolutions-movie-poster-md.jpg (50.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

10 To Midnight. Charles Bronson faces off against a sicko serial killer in this early 80s flick that mixes police thriller with slasher horror. An interesting and entertaining effort, though Bronson is fairly unlikeable himself - although we know who the killer is straight off, when Bronson first plants evidence to frame him (which fails and gets him off, and then sends him after Bronson's daughter) he really has very little reason to be that convinced he's guilty!
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Green Inferno. 2013.

A group of college students head out to save the Amazon Jungle and encounter a small village of cannibals.

I have always held off watching this and just watched it on Shudder, was Eli Roth trying to make a homage to Umberto Lenzi and Ruggero Deodato with their cannibal flicks we know and love? In some parts it seemed ok and other parts was Eli trying to introduce laughter and less tension cos that didn't really work for me at all, once seen and may not be seen again.

81tv7PmKeKL._RI_.jpg
Old 24th July 2021, 12:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curse Of The Crimson Altar. 1968.

Robert Manning receives a letter from his brother and goes to a quiet English village and stops at a manor house where his brother was last seen, the owner tells him he has never heard of his brother and invites him to stay, Robert feels that something is not quite right.

This may not have the best played out plot but does have two male horror icons Boris Korloff and Christopher Lee who do share some screen time together, even though Christopher Lee states this is one role he has hated playing. With both icons in one scene you don't really know which one is more sinister than the other. Barbara Steele plays the witch who was burned at the stake and seeks revenge who's appearances have always brought joy to the screen. It does have it's sinister gothic look and a man says he has torture instruments...that will be the que to get out of dodge. Apart from the weak plot this was enjoyable.

crimson-cult.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!