All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2021, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Deep Blue Sea 3 (2020)

I always think it's weird when i read someone say of a film 'It was better than i thought it would be'. Eh? What? Why did you buy it or watch it in the first place if you thought it would suck?

I bought Deep Blue Sea 3 last year when i read Kim Newman's brief review in his Empire magazine column. He said it was superior to the second film but not as good as the all star first movie. As i like shitty shark films i decided to buy it from Asda when the price dropped from it's £7 starting price. When it hit a fiver i took the plunge (So to speak).

And do you know what? Deep Blue Sea 3 is a far better film than i thought it would be. I imagined it would be on the lines of watchable nonsense such as Planet of the Sharks (2016) and other made for Cable fodder.

I was wrong. I thought Deep Blue Sea 3 was terrific. It's set on an artificial island out at sea (Think Waterworld mixed with a Caribbean island) and features a team lead by Tania Raymonde who protect and aid Great White sharks in the waters. However the peace and tranquility comes crashing to a halt when a vessel moors and a team of scientists tell the researchers they are tracking three large, killer Bull sharks headed to the atoll.

I won't say anymore should anyone want to watch it, but the action ramps up from here on and the film really becomes enjoyable.

It's certainly not a cheap looking movie. The island sets are fantastic* in fact the look of the film on the whole is excellent, with the underwater photography first class whilst the sharks themselves appear very realistic. I presume they were a mix of CGI, real sharks and very good model work. The acting is decent and characterization nicely written with Bren Foster, who has worked on recent Steven Seagal films, a good, quietly unhinged, ass kicking villain.

There are one or two surprises, one especially reminiscent of the Samuel L Jackson shock in the original film, which actually made me jump in my seat, and the action packed final third is genuinely thrilling.

*(Don't watch the making of first though whatever you do as it will destroy the illusion of it being out at sea when you see a road and parked cars behind the set which floats on a lake)
Old 26th July 2021, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While not terrible this is a lesser Arnie movie , this is really down to James Belushi character who just seems pointless and useless to the point you think why is he even here, doesn't help that he's not funny at all and is just annoying.

Up next

Old 26th July 2021, 07:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I like Red Heat.
Old 26th July 2021, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Red Heat.
Well I really like Vamp ......

Old 26th July 2021, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Red Heat.
It's not terrible my review makes it sound worse than it is, just could of been so much better if they had gotten someone else for Belushi character of wrote him better and gave him more too do than lame unfunny wisecracks.

I can't remember anything about raw deal , so dont know if that's good or bad but now in two minds between it and tremors.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th July 2021, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just started Raw Deal.

" you want too be a witness , witness this"

That's me sold!
Old 26th July 2021, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Green Inferno. 2013.

A group of college students head out to save the Amazon Jungle and encounter a small village of cannibals.

I have always held off watching this and just watched it on Shudder, was Eli Roth trying to make a homage to Umberto Lenzi and Ruggero Deodato with their cannibal flicks we know and love? In some parts it seemed ok and other parts was Eli trying to introduce laughter and less tension cos that didn't really work for me at all, once seen and may not be seen again.

Attachment 234861
For the first 40 minutes, it was quite boring but it did get better afterwards. There was a very good kill though.
Old 26th July 2021, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hard Target

Jean Claude Van Damme assists Yancy Butler in finding her Father who was recently murdered by Lance Henriksen who runs a Hunting Operation. Up to The Quest, I couldn't wait to watch a new Van Damme Film and this is one of my favorite Films of his.

I keep hearing of a uncut version, does anyone know if this includes significant extra footage or is it a couple of extra seconds here and there?

Killing Zone

A Drug Dealer's Brother is murdered in Prison and vows revenge. It looks like a P/M Entertainment Film but it isn't and whilst it certainly won't win any awards, it's bearable if you can pick it up cheap.

Kill Bill Vol. 1

The start of Uma Thurman's revenge story which is shot in the style of a Hong Kong flick and I thoroughly enjoyed it, it doesn't drag on with long dialogue sequences and has good action scenes. Great soundtrack also.

Disaster Artist

Story based on the making of The Room, which is considered to be one of the worst Movies of all time. It it's fascinating and whilst Tommy Wissau was seen to be an awkward and infuriating person, he did put up and created something and like the Producer/Director of Birdemic, I'm not sure if they deserve to be ridiculed.

Has The Room ever been shown in Cinemas and/or had any kind of Video/DVD release, I never recall ever seeing it around nor been on a TV Channel, which I find kind of strange considering it's reputation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ht.jpg (14.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kz.jpg (15.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kbv1.jpg (13.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg da.jpg (8.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th July 2021, 09:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Nightmare Beach. A mysterious helmeted biker starts killing tourists during spring break in Miami, and the corrupt local officials try to cover it up for... er... reasons. This late 80s horror thriller was pretty poor IMO. John Saxon is good as the bent police chief but the youthful cast are pretty terrible to the point of laughable and there's bugger all in the way of tension. Fairly flat.
Old 27th July 2021, 10:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jaguar Lives! (1979, Ernest Pintoff)

Sub Bond caper.
The Jaguar (Joe Lewis) has his work cut out, what with the supporting cast acting rings around him .
Globetrotting shenanigans ensue as he endeavours to discover the identity of a shady svengali type. Could the answer be closer to home than he thinks?
Fun with this one, if only for Donald Pleasence's turn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JL.jpg (40.4 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th July 2021 at 11:17 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!