Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2021, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This one has never really appealed to me and have thought of watching it but after your comments maybe best I bypass this one
Logic might have made me think i was off Italian Giallo films at the moment, but seeing as i watched and utterly loved Tenebrae all over again when i saw it in between the two Bido films then it can't be that.
Old 28th July 2021, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Logic might have made me think i was off Italian Giallo films at the moment, but seeing as i watched and utterly loved Tenebrae all over again when i saw it in between the two Bido films then it can't be that.
Anyone who hates Tenebre needs their head checked
Old 29th July 2021, 01:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times . 1972.

Two young sisters are told the story of two sisters who hated one another Red Queen and Black Queen. Every 100 years the Red Queen rises from her grave to kill within the walls of their castle. Years later the sister inherit the family castle and soon the killings begins.

This was a interesting Giallo, that the plot seems to be all over the place yet still mesmerising by the colours that are used and decent cinematography that is used to capture the killings. Barbara Bouchet plays one of the sister's Kitty and seems to be haunted and always been a nice leading lady. There is plenty twists and turns in this that some times I wasn't expecting but this is one I will definitely com back to watch again.

MV5BMGI0OTg4N2YtYjBmOS00NmQyLWExZDktNzgyYTI0MzdhMjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxMDQ0ODk@._V1_.jpg
Old 29th July 2021, 05:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

I love Charles B. Pierce's The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972), a docudrama style horror film about a Bigfoot creature whose sightings around Fouke, Arkansas had been reported since the forties. The great thing about TTTDS is that it is very similar in it's documentary style film making.

It's even narrated by Vern Stierman who brought so much mythical wonder to Boggy Creek. However TTTDS deals with a different kind of monster altogether.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown is based on the true life Texarcarna moonlight murders in which a masked serial killer known as the Phantom Killer commits murders in the mid 1940's on the Texas Arkansas border.

The film follows Texas ranger Ben Johnson and local sheriff Andrew Prine as they attempt to catch the killer. Spoiler alert. As with the real life murders the killer is never caught.

Pierce brings that same creepy atmosphere he gave Boggy Creek to this film and it's all the better for it. At times it's genuinely eerie and the murders are well staged. Johnson and Prine give the film a lot of class in the acting stakes even if many of the cast are local townsfolk. In my opinion this brings more realism to the film than it might have done with pro actors.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown's style is highly original, in fact the film arrived on screens before the slasher craze of the late seventies / early eighties and the sack cloth mask worn by the killer has been borrowed in slasher films ever since. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) being the most famous case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Town_That_Dreaded_Sundown_film_poster.jpg (28.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th July 2021, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I know that the Prince Charles Cinema in London often has it on, I don't think it has had a 'wide' release. I just checked DVD Compare too, and it seems it's only had a self released blu-ray which is odd, I would have though someone would have released it, I wonder if he doesn't want to give the rights away.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Room, The (Blu-ray) (2003)
That's gotta be the case, if it was easy to get UK DVD/Blu-Ray rights, then someone would have released it by now.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 29th July 2021, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Kill Bill Vol. 2

The conclusion sees The Bride attempt revenge against the people who tried to kill her. Different style than the 1st part where there's more dialogue however it's still enjoyable especially the Pei Mei scenes.

Was this the precursor to the 2 part films like Hunger Games: Mockingjay...etc.

Jaws: The Revenge

Sheriff Brody's Widow is convinced that a Shark is out for revenge after it kills one of her sons. Mario Van Peebles and Michael Caine co-star in a film that whilst not the greatest, it isn't the terrible film that it's made out to be.

Old

A group of people end up on a mysterious beach that miraculously ages them quickly. It isn't bad but it's certainly not essential.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kbv2.jpg (13.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg jtr.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg o.jpg (8.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 30th July 2021, 08:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Kill Bill Vol. 2

Was this the precursor to the 2 part films like Hunger Games: Mockingjay...etc.
Possibly, at least with films made this century. The Toxic Avenger Part II and The Toxic Avenger Part III were made as one film in 1989 then released separately.

The year before, there was the six-hour, multiple Oscar nominated, Little Dorrit which was released as two separate films.

Since Kill Bill Vol. 1 was released in 2003, the Harry Potter, Twilight, Batman, Hobbit, Hunger Games, and Avengers series have all had two part films.

Additionally, Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac was split into two segments rather than a single four-hour film.
Old 30th July 2021, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I always feel like that when I watch giallo lately, but then I watch a good one and remember I do like them... there are a lot of boring ones out there.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th July 2021, 10:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I always feel like that when I watch giallo lately, but then I watch a good one and remember I do like them... there are a lot of boring ones out there.
I just checked out Bido's filmography and he only directed nine things. I can see why. Boring as hell. The last one from 2019 seems to be a four and a half hour doc on Italian genre directors.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I just checked out Bido's filmography and he only directed nine things. I can see why. Boring as hell. The last one from 2019 seems to be a four and a half hour doc on Italian genre directors.
That sounds riveting even a 90 min doc can be dodgy with these Italian directors they talk and talk and it's usually about nothing interesting at all.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!