Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2021, 01:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Bloodstained Shadow (1978)

Another really dull giallo from Antonio Bido, after rewatching Watch Me When I Kill the other week.

This one is nicely shot in a very bleak looking Venice but so little happens i have really nothing to say in it's favour and can't really recall anything memorable about it whatsoever.
I must admit I quite like THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW. Maybe it’s a bit if nostalgia, as it was one of the first of the lesser known Gialli I saw ( on Redemption VHS ).
Certainly better than WATCH ME WHEN I KILL.
Old 30th July 2021, 02:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I must admit I quite like THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW. Maybe it’s a bit if nostalgia, as it was one of the first of the lesser known Gialli I saw ( on Redemption VHS ).
Certainly better than WATCH ME WHEN I KILL.
I bought it in the early 00's as part of Anchor Bay's Giallo Collection alongside Short Night of Glass Dolls, Who Saw Her Die and Case of the Bloody Iris.

Shadow is by far the weakest of the four but there is some nice Venetian cinematography. As you say Mojo, it's better than Watch Me When I Kill
Old 30th July 2021, 05:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Herostratus (1967)

Well that's 142 minutes of my life i'll never get back. Arthouse nonsense memorable only for a burlesque routine from Helen Mirren which in the end turned out to be an advert for rubber washing up gloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81kbGNZLSML._AC_SY445_.jpg (17.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 30th July 2021, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Suicide Squad

Sequel to the film with a virtually same title sees a mostly new squad attempt to destroy a secret laboratory. It had a very good start with a lot of humor and Viola Davis excels in her role (Would love a spin off movie with her) however it got really silly for my liking at the end.

Welcome To Collingwood

A Coen Brothers type Comedy which sees some bumbling Crooks attempt to rob a safe. Very enjoyable film which stars Sam Rockwell and George Clooney (In a minor role but is front and center of the poster/cover)

Oh yeah, this is 18 years old (Man, I feel old)

Assassination

Charles Bronson is a Secret Service Agent who is protecting a pain in the neck First Lady, who has been targeted for Assassination. Short and sweet film, which doesn't overstay it's welcome and TBH, it doesn't follow the usual clichés.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sq.jpg (16.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wtc.jpg (11.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg a.jpg (14.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 30th July 2021, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A found this too be a pretty poor anthology , easily amicas worst . The first story about the cat and the last story the man who liked Poo, with Peter Cushing and Jack Palance where the best the other story's I found quite dull.

This could be my favourite Dc movie or at least the top 3. A great cast of characters with some great humour , I actually enjoyed the ending and fitted in with Gunns usual style . A vast improvement on the first film. At times I was surprised it wasn't a 18 with all the swearing, violence and gore. Action packed ,funny and hart warming at times. I love king Shark.

Went too see this a the cinema and was surprised who packed the showing was it was nearly full.
Old 30th July 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Age of Adaline (2015)

This romantic fantasy is one of my favourite films of the last few years. It follows Adaline Bowman (A brilliant Blake Lively) brought back to life by a bolt of lightning following a car crash in 1937 and now unable to age staying 29 years old her whole life whilst on the run from the authorities as well as herself up to the present day.

Lively is supported by a strong cast including Kathy Baker, Ellen Burstyn (As Adaline's daughter), Michiel Huisman and Harrison Ford in one of the best acting performances of his career.

Although not as intense as many films featuring the subject of immortality even on this fourth viewing (First time on Blu-ray - it looks gorgeous) i found it remarkably compelling, heart warming, occasionally sad and once more, hugely enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg age_of_adaline_2_1024x1024.jpg (81.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st July 2021, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Marine Issue (1986, Denis Amer)

Michael Pare actioner. Always remembered the poster for this one (again) so was nice to finally get to see this one. When Pare finds out his sister has fallen in with bad types, his reaction is interesting mainly due to the locale (film is set in Spain). The bad guys don't reckon on his chances, but these colours don't run ahem.

F9

The Fast & The Spurious. Physics be damned!

Yor (w/Reb Brown comm)

Self effacing and informative, this trip down memory lane was worth the wait.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 31st July 2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 31st July 2021, 01:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deep Red (1975)

Seen by many as Dario Argento's masterpiece, starring David Hemmings as a pianist who witnesses the murder of a psychic in a top floor Rome apartment before becoming the killer's target himself.

There are some ingenious murder set pieces. Standouts being the initial hatchet kill witnessed by Hemmings and a man getting dragged to pieces through Rome tied to the back of a truck. The score by Argento regulars Goblin is one of their very best, in particular the strikingly catchy haunting main theme, whilst Argento's almost continuous use of a fluid camera, always on the move, puts his many Italian imitators to shame. What also works is Argento's use of a muted palette - not just for the timid Hemmings to hide away in - but how it comes into it's own when blood is spilled in glorious dripping crimson, an almost a juxtaposition in comparison to the grays and blacks colouring the majority of the film.

Yet for me it doesn't quite grip as much as Tenenbrae, the classy giallo Argento made seven years later in 1982. At over two hours it's too long and flabby. So many scenes, especially those between Hemmings and Daria Nicolodi add nothing to the film other than to give Nicolodi, Argento's then wife, screen time whilst Hemmings fails to grab my attention in the way Tony Musante does in The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970) for example - a film from which ideas were certainly re-used in Deep Red. I don't think Hemmings case was helped by his participation in a comedy sequence early on as he slips and slides about in Nicolodi's tiny car.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 31st July 2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 31st July 2021, 07:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default recent re-watches

an enjoyable mix......i would review but im to lazy, anyhow i enjoyed them all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00030.jpg (97.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00027.jpg (51.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00025.jpg (82.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00022.jpg (93.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00021.jpg (38.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00018.jpg (73.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00009.jpg (100.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00008.jpg (80.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (68.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00006.jpg (97.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00005.jpg (83.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (69.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (95.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (85.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Blood Of Ghastly Horror TC.jpg (64.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 1st August 2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 31st July 2021, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
an enjoyable mix......i would review but im to lazy, anyhow i enjoyed them all...
Dead and buried is a under rated gem, and love Brain damage, Aylmer you called him ****ing Alymer, Great film love these type of films, different from the same old same old, or slashers.

Like this? Share it using the links below!