Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It Chapter Two (2019)

At just shy of three hours this was hard work. To be honest the first ninety minutes or so were very good as the child characters from the first film are summoned back to Derry, Maine, 27 years later to once and for all deal with Pennywise the clown...or die trying.

It's the camaraderie between the characters again works well, helped by an excellent cast including James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain and Bill Hader who breathe renewed life into the film.

It all goes pear shaped during the final hour as the film becomes a CGI shitshow no different to the very worst of Marvel movies and i completely lost interest until the survivors left the cavernous underworld and returned to the streets.

Nice to see cameos from Stephen King and Peter Bogdanovich.
I enjoyed both parts of the remake. Had a feeling you would find the second half far too cgi heavy though Dem. You were right in your review of Part 1 though, nothing is really added that the older TV movies didn't accomplish.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th August 2021, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Short Sharp Shocks (2020)

The Sex Victims (1973)

Oddball film about a truck driver who spends the entire thing pursuing a naked woman on horseback through the woods.

This would have been okay as an extra on The Orchard End Murder disc for example but as an actual selling point to this collection? not really. For something that almost hits the forty minute mark there really isn't a lot going on here. I mean. Once you've seen one naked girl on horseback you've seen em' all.

Gran Torino (2008)

Clint Eastwood plays a war veteran who finds his Detroit neighbourhood seemingly overrun by immigrants and gangs. As much in conflict with his family as he is the neighbours, Eastwood gives an excellent performance as the grizzled racist veteran who slowly befriends South East Asian refugees now living on his street whilst trying to defend his property and prized 71' Ford Gran Torino from local thugs.

This feels like a sister film to Unforgiven with his Walt Kowalski a modern day William Munny, but whilst this is clearly a study on racial tolerance and redemption there's plenty of drama and humour along the way to make this thoroughly entertaining.

The Sound of Music (1965)

Directed by the great Robert Wise (The Haunting, The Body Snatcher, Star Trek the Motion Picture) this is one of the classic crowd pleasers that seems to woo every generation with it's repertoire of songs that are all - each and every one of them - so well known.

It looks ****ing gorgeous on Blu-ray, in particular that opening panoramic sweep across the Austrian mountains and the songs have never sounded better.

I've seen it a couple of times in full across the years but experiencing it on Blu-ray made the film a whole new magical experience. The three hours went in no time at all.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Unholy. 2021.

A disgraced journalist Gerry Fenn visits a New England town to investigate cattle mutilations stumbles across a deaf mute girl Alice who can now speak and believes the Virgin Mary is speaking to her and can heal the wounded. Soon she has made news headlines, Fenn believes it's something more darker that is talking to Alice.

I have read all of James Herbert books from The Rats right through to Ash and they all seem to be dark, Shrine was a bit more dark gothic type and very suspenseful. This had it all towards the end with one or two predictable jump scares that you see coming a mile away, the acting is decent from Jeffrey dean Morgan as the journalist looking for a new story, William Sadler as the town's local priest and uncle to Alice.

It was a somewhat decent attempt to bring James Herbert's demonic story to film but it just seemed to miss hitting the nerve for a ghost movie, as it does start off well then slowly goes all over the place. I would say get it but on the other hand wait for the price to drop before rushing out to buy it, the book is worth a read.

bShgiEQoPnWdw4LBrYT5u18JF34.jpg
Old 13th August 2021, 10:56 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Back to the Future (1985)

Watching it on Blu-ray for the first time last night was wonderful. I don't know if it's the television as much as the actual Blu-ray itself but it seemed like 3D the way the characters almost stood out from the screen.

If you like these three movies then i heartily recommend the Blu-ray box set.
Quote:
The Sound of Music (1965)

I've seen it a couple of times in full across the years but experiencing it on Blu-ray made the film a whole new magical experience. The three hours went in no time at all.
Is it safe to say you're happy with upgrading to high-definition and you're a Blu-ray convert?

Do you understand why we spent so long trying to convince you to buy Blu-ray player and start buying the high-definition releases for films?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is it safe to say you're happy with upgrading to high-definition and you're a Blu-ray convert?

Do you understand why we spent so long trying to convince you to buy Blu-ray player and start buying the high-definition releases for films?
Definitely. However i think the new QLED tv has helped as well.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:46 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Definitely. However i think the new QLED tv has helped as well.
If it has 4K upscaling built in, it'll make standard Blu-ray look even better than a 1080p TV screen would.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If it has 4K upscaling built in, it'll make standard Blu-ray look even better than a 1080p TV screen would.
It's 4K all QLED is.... unless they are 8K.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:41 PM
Cult Addict

How the devil do I start a new thread? Been ages since I've done it and I can even work out how on tapatoss.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
How the devil do I start a new thread? Been ages since I've done it and I can even work out how on tapatoss.

As you were having difficulties with your phone, I've done it on my computer
The Film Locations Thread

For future reference, going to the top of the forum category (General Film Discussions, for example) shows a button saying 'Create Thread'.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:54 PM
Cult Addict

Think I've cracked it now Nos. Feel free to transfer my post and picture across.

Like this? Share it using the links below!