Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2021, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cat Women On The Moon

Revisiting this old chestnut. Some fun to be had with the stiff as a board dialogue etc. The crew find out more than they expect when they land on a mission. , but they don't drag it out to 150 minutes ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th August 2021, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu (2019)

Legitimate sequel to the 1978 'classic' from the same director and also the same star Camille Keaton.

To say Deja Vu was a mess is a bit of an understatement. For a start it's a bum numbing two hours twenty five minutes. Yes two hours twenty five minutes of terrible over acting from so-called hillbilly types shouting and screaming at each other, each one more hysterical and eye-rollingly over the top than the other. It soon wears very thin.

Might as well mention Camille Keaton here as well. To put it bluntly, she's f*cking dreadful. Her decapitation didn't come soon enough for my liking.

Thankfully the film's real star Jamie Bernadette is slightly better at the acting lark than Keaton and it's her that suffers the rape ordeal and extracts revenge throughout the film. The rape scenes aren't as strong as the original film nor as lengthy (Unless the UK dvd is cut - which is a scary thought as that would mean the uncut version was even longer than 145 mins). In fact the revenge scenes aren't as strong either although you might wince as Bernadette thrusts a broken bottle into one hillbilly's bollocks as she gives him a hand job.

Where the film does deserve credit is in it's depiction of the backwoods protagonists lead by Maria Olsen as their equally deranged mother, Becky. Becky runs a small town gas station, rides a gleaming quad bike and lives with her kin in a swish cabin in the woods. Not some shit hole from Wrong Turn or House of 1000 Corpses. It's a home with a stocked fridge, house plants, nice furniture, 4x4 outside just as anyone would want. It's a simple touch but refreshingly different for this type of movie.

Just when you think the film is finished the clock shows twenty minutes still to play out and the script brings in more protagonists and further twists that hark back to events from the 1978 original.

All in all Deja Vu. was a messy mixed bag with an appalling first half and a more watchable second but at two hours twenty five minutes it's way, way too long.
Old 17th August 2021, 06:27 PM
Cult Master

31-0.jpg

A group of carnies driving across country in a camper have their trip is cut short when they come across a very strange road block made up of twisted scarecrows. While trying to clear the road they are kidnapped and forced to play a game called 31. Its Halloween night and the contestants in this game must survive the night on order to escape.

When i first heard about 31 i was so excited as a massive Rob Zombie fan i couldn't wait a film filled with crazed characters on a murderous rampage and a nazi midgey how could i not be excited but could it live up to my expectations ? In a word NO.

Its not that 31 is a bad film but it feels like its missing something. There are so many great characters but i wasnt happy with how easily the victims get past each stage of the game as i said the characters themselves are great midget nazi chainsaw wielding clowns two sex slaves but for all the promise they just came across a little soft and not as menacing as i had hoped for. One character i really had a problem with was Doom Head he was billed as their go to guy to get the job done the most evil most twisted member that ensured no one survived but in reality he spends too much time trying to be philosophical and deep instead of just chopping people up and his little speaches was actually boring and dragged out.

I loved the atmosphere and the whole look that instantly says this is a Rob Zombie film plus as always he just knows how to pick the perfect music for every single scene fantastic. Yes it sounds like im really down on this film but my expectations are very high with my favourite directors so i pick at things a little more. 31 is still an enjoyable film but there are some really missed opportunities here.

To sum it up 31 is a halloween themed Running Man but no where near as good. This is the one Rob Zombie film i wouldn't revisit as often as the rest.

6/10
Old 17th August 2021, 07:38 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMTc1OTc5NzA4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTAzMzE2NjM@._V1_.jpg

Horticulturist Earl Stone put everything into his business nothing mattered more to him than his flowers and the praise of his fellow horticulturists. As the years past business got harder and harder and Earl had to shut down his business. All he has left his is grand daughter who is the only one left in his family that will even talk to him. At an engagement party held by his grand daughter Earl is approached by one of her friends who offers Earl a job driving for the cartel transporting drugs and firearms. The more runs he does the bigger the cargo and the bigger the pay but Earl is a simple man and uses his new found wealth to improve his community help is family and retire his old truck. With his money worries a thing of the past Earl must now face is past mistakes and try reconnect with his ex wife and family before time runs out.

The Mule is a beautiful film filled with humour suspense and some very touching scenes that honestly gave me a lump in my throat. As i said in the Clint thread the other night Clint is still the boss he is amazing his humour is spot on and always works he is cool as f*** in every moment just breezing through the scenes with so much presence he still oozes charisma and at 91 still showing actors of today how it should be done.

I love that Clint is still directing and acting but it kills me that he is getting so old i grew up with his films as a constant part of my life. But saying that it fills my heart with so much joy that his man is 91 and still kicking everyones ass.

Bring on Cry Macho

9/10
Old 18th August 2021, 12:38 AM
Cult Addict

Saint Maud

uQjxpEYktu36ZiWKfn0t0FySmXl-0-230-0-345-crop.jpeg

I must be going nuts as I swear somebody reviewed this the other day but can't find it.
Anyway bought something and got a free trial of Amazon Prime.
Liked the look of this anyway and as it was free bunged it on pronto.

I really liked it, it's more of a psychological study than an outright Horror, but definitely creeps into that territory with many unnerving scenes, but I could see many mainstream Horror fans being disappointed as it's not yer usual gore and jump scares offering.

Instead it follows Maud who is obviously not playing with a full deck from the off, she seems good intentioned but lives a solitary life, where lacking meaning she turns to god for solace and then things slowly spiral out of control.
She is obviously suffering from some kind of mental disorder which manifests in hallucinations and fits, meanwhile she is nursing a dying woman and feels as though she has found an outlet and cause to put her faith to good use.

The performances are all really good and i was gripped as the story unfolded, the soundtrack has a nice uneasy vibe that at moments reminded me of the one from Under the Skin (2013).

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th August 2021, 07:09 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Saint Maud

Attachment 235435

I must be going nuts as I swear somebody reviewed this the other day but can't find it.
Anyway bought something and got a free trial of Amazon Prime.
Liked the look of this anyway and as it was free bunged it on pronto.

I really liked it, it's more of a psychological study than an outright Horror, but definitely creeps into that territory with many unnerving scenes, but I could see many mainstream Horror fans being disappointed as it's not yer usual gore and jump scares offering.

Instead it follows Maud who is obviously not playing with a full deck from the off, she seems good intentioned but lives a solitary life, where lacking meaning she turns to god for solace and then things slowly spiral out of control.
She is obviously suffering from some kind of mental disorder which manifests in hallucinations and fits, meanwhile she is nursing a dying woman and feels as though she has found an outlet and cause to put her faith to good use.

The performances are all really good and i was gripped as the story unfolded, the soundtrack has a nice uneasy vibe that at moments reminded me of the one from Under the Skin (2013).

Recommended 8/10
It was me that reviewed it glad you liked it i was really surprised by it.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th August 2021, 07:25 AM
Cult Veteran

John Wick 3

These are starting to get a bit daft now, the series has come quite a way from the first film. I feel that some of the fights are played for laughs or comedic effect now. Give the audience what they want kind of thing. There is also so much CGI blood that it's like watching an episode of The Walking Dead

I did still enjoy this one though, John on the run from every assassin in the network, I especially enjoyed his escape on horseback through the streets of New York at the start. The whole film looks amazing (apart from the CGI blood) and highly stylised and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Anyone know when part 4 is dropping?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th August 2021, 07:34 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
John Wick 3

These are starting to get a bit daft now, the series has come quite a way from the first film. I feel that some of the fights are played for laughs or comedic effect now. Give the audience what they want kind of thing. There is also so much CGI blood that it's like watching an episode of The Walking Dead

I did still enjoy this one though, John on the run from every assassin in the network, I especially enjoyed his escape on horseback through the streets of New York at the start. The whole film looks amazing (apart from the CGI blood) and highly stylised and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Anyone know when part 4 is dropping?

Still not seen any of them
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th August 2021, 07:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

I liked the first one. Lost me after that.
Old 18th August 2021, 08:15 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Still not seen any of them
I think you'll like them, they have 80s action film sensibilities but modern film aesthetics! Also ultraviolent!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!