Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2021, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Alien (1979)

A tolerable effort from Ridley Scott that takes more than a passing nod to Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires (1965).

Has it's moments but doubtful it will stay in the memory.

I remember seeing this for the first time on holiday in Anglesey. I was staying with the owners of the B&B we'd visited a few times in the past whilst my mum and dad went out. It was a Sunday night and the World Cup final was on the same evening in 1982 between Italy and West Germany. I'm not entirely sure if Alien was on tv or was a video rental - three year after it's cinema release wasn't really the thing in those days but i can't be sure. Anyway it made for a terrific evenings viewing for a ten year old, a world cup final and a classic sci-fi horror film.

Looks lovely on Blu-ray by the way.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:04 PM
Cult Addict

I've always found Scott's original the weakest of the main series. Apart from maybe Covenant.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Alien (1979)

A tolerable effort from Ridley Scott that takes more than a passing nod to Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires (1965).

Brilliant use of understatement and sarcasm, Dem!

I can't remember when I saw Alien for the first time, but I've never heard the phrase "here, Kitty" without thinking of Harry Dean Stanton's last moments in the film.

Did you watch the theatrical or director's cut?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Brilliant use of understatement and sarcasm, Dem!

I can't remember when I saw Alien for the first time, but I've never heard the phrase "here, Kitty" without thinking of Harry Dean Stanton's last moments in the film.

Did you watch the theatrical or director's cut?
Director's cut, Nos.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've always found Scott's original the weakest of the main series. Apart from maybe Covenant.
I know what you mean. I think 3 and Resurrection are more fun. I'm always underwhelmed by Aliens though. I'll give the shorter theatrical cut a go sometime soon.

I've always liked AVP. I find it a fun action movie but Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem borders on unwatchable during it's second half. Prometheus was great but i thought Covenant an absolute mess.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th September 2021, 08:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Director's cut, Nos.
I prefer the theatrical cut as I don't think the director's cut adds anything essential and actually detracts from the film, making it a bit baggy, less taut and suspenseful.
Quote:
I know what you mean. I think 3 and Resurrection are more fun. I'm always underwhelmed by Aliens though. I'll give the shorter theatrical cut a go sometime soon.

I've always liked AVP. I find it a fun action movie but Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem borders on unwatchable during it's second half. Prometheus was great but i thought Covenant an absolute mess.
Although it is not objectively a great film, with some clear issues due to studio interference, I have a soft spot for Alien³ and the re-cut version with extra footage is a pretty good sci-fi-horror.

I like Resurrection as it's good fun and very watchable, one I like much more than Aliens. All that said, Ridley Scott's first film is the best and my personal favourite.
Old 17th September 2021, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Alien (1979)

I remember seeing this for the first time on holiday in Anglesey. I was staying with the owners of the B&B we'd visited a few times in the past whilst my mum and dad went out. It was a Sunday night and the World Cup final was on the same evening in 1982 between Italy and West Germany. I'm not entirely sure if Alien was on tv or was a video rental - three year after it's cinema release wasn't really the thing in those days but i can't be sure. Anyway it made for a terrific evenings viewing for a ten year old, a world cup final and a classic sci-fi horror film.

Looks lovely on Blu-ray by the way.
Or local vue cinema showing Alien I’m tempted to go and watch it on big screen.
Old 17th September 2021, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post

To be fair I've always seen the film from 1979 in a different light to the ones that followed, this had a lot to do with my loathing of sequels in general, something I've gotten over from
I'm still very fired up from that KJ doc tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th September 2021, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Or local vue cinema showing Alien I’m tempted to go and watch it on big screen.
I'd love to see Alien at the cinema. If I were you, I would go because it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd love to see Alien at the cinema. If I were you, I would go because it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
I checked It was tonight, but also showing on a mond and also showing Aliens as well on a Wednesday so yes might go see both.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!