All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2021, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Ha ha, Resnick rules! Found 'This House..." genuinely quite creepy myself.
Indeed. Started with THHPII, working my way back etc .... May I Please Enter ? tonight etc
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2021, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Black Veil for Lisa (1968)

An enjoyable hybrid of giallo and poliziottesco movies in which a Hamburg detective played by John Mills (Another watched with English dub) is on the trail of a killer who always leaves the murder weapon (A knife) with the body. However he seems as concerned that his wife (Luciana Paluzzi) is cheating on him.

I'm going to say no more story wise as it would spoil it for any potential viewers in what was a cleverly constructed thriller with many surprise story elements. Director Massimo Dallamano keeps the wheels turning throughout and i found A Black Veil for Lisa a thoroughly engaging movie with some good location work in and around Hamburg.

The 88 Films Blu-ray looked okay but nothing special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La-morte-non-ha-sesso-italian-movie-poster-md.jpg (23.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th September 2021, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Prey. 2018.

Chinese police officer Xin undercover in a mob ring gets arrested and thrown in jail. The warden and his friends decide to release some prisoners into the jungle and hunt them for sport.

A corrupt prison warden, sadistic people with guns and prisoners used for sport, i'm pretty sure there was a film made like that before...that's right Turkey Shoot. I know the Japanese can go over board with their death scenes but this was mild compared to other films they have brought us. Gu Shangwei plays Xin in his first role is not bad for a lead actor, there is some decent fights but not OTT, go into this with a open mind.

THEPREY_EFM2019-531x750.jpg
Old 25th September 2021, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sorcerer (1977)

William Friedkin's take on Georges Arnaud's 1950 French novel The Wages of Fear.

Four wanted men (Including Friedkin fave Roy Scheider) from various locations all end up together in a South American village, where they are assigned to transport cargoes of poorly kept dynamite that is so unstable that it is sweating nitroglycerin meaning any sudden jolt could blow them and their trucks to smithereens.

(I don't think i've ever typed smithereens before.)

The first hour is pretty unremarkable with minimal story following the first fifteen minutes but it really kicks into gear come the fifty minute mark. The journey is terrifically tense as the four men and two trucks negotiate treacherous cliff top roads, bridges you wouldn't want to walk across never mind take trucks across, thick jungles and barren desert plains. It's an hour of genuine palm sweating tension and is compulsive viewing.

I did think the final scene kind of left me deflated though which was a pity.

The Blu-ray from E One Entertainment looks superb with real depth to the imagery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-0FmkthJ5-IyqwnyjqC9JyA.jpg (77.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th September 2021, 01:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chosen Survivors. 1974.

A group of people are taken to a bunker just outside Mexico, a mile below the surface. There they find out they have been chosen by computer to continue the human race as a nuclear war breaks out.

I have never seen this film before and didn't know what I was going into with it, very tense claustrophobic atmosphere of a film, the actors do a good job posing with a fear of nuclear war and able to make moments look tense and stressful. The film does have it's feel of being low budget, it may not be a classic but certainly worth a look at.

220px-Chosensurvivors.jpg
Old 26th September 2021, 03:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sorcerer (1977)

William Friedkin's take on Georges Arnaud's 1950 French novel The Wages of Fear.
Have you ever seen Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 adaptation, also called The Wages of Fear, Dem?

As much as I like Sorcerer, Clouzot's film is a nerve-shredding masterpiece, a phenomenal piece of filmmaking.
Old 26th September 2021, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Have you ever seen Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 adaptation, also called The Wages of Fear, Dem?

As much as I like Sorcerer, Clouzot's film is a nerve-shredding masterpiece, a phenomenal piece of filmmaking.
No, i keep meaning to get it but just never get round to it. With seeing this one only yesterday i'll leave the Clouzot film for a while.
Old 26th September 2021, 04:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No, i keep meaning to get it but just never get round to it. With seeing this one only yesterday i'll leave the Clouzot film for a while.
I have the Criterion Collection US Blu-ray and DVD releases and they are both superb. As the UK ones will be virtually identical, I highly recommend buying the Blu-ray when it is in the 2 for £25 offer.
Old 26th September 2021, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have the Criterion Collection US Blu-ray and DVD releases and they are both superb. As the UK ones will be virtually identical, I highly recommend buying the Blu-ray when it is in the 2 for £25 offer.
It's a fully loaded Blu from a 4K restoration from the BFI in the UK.

A new 4K restoration of the original French theatrical release, available for the first time in the UK

Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition

Interview with Assistant Director Michel Romanoff (2005, 23 mins)

Interview with Clouzot biographer Marc Godin (2005, 10 mins)

interview with Professor Lucy Mazdon (2017, 35 mins)

The Guardian Lecture: Yves Montand in conservation with Don Allan (99 mins, audio only): recorded in 1989, the star discusses his distinguished career

Audio commentary with film critic Adrian Martin

Original theatrical trailer

Illustrated booklet with a new essay by Andy Miller, original reviews by Karel Reisz and Penelope Houston, an appreciation of Clouzot by Paul Ryan, and full film credits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81NSaSKAgPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th September 2021, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran

I bought it on the day it came out and I still haven't got around to watching it, however I did really love Sorcerer!

It's in one of my boxes I'm going to get it out this week, before the horror marathon starts.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!