Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Zann 25th May 2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 343533)
I think its pretty good as well. The only thing that bothered me was the slow motion rape scene :crazy:

Yeah it's a bit weird but quite effective and the extreme close-ups of the faces of the perpertrators are pretty vile (the whole point of course). Next one for me'll be Wild Beasts though I hear mixed reviews.

Delirium 25th May 2013 10:00 AM

Watched Come out and Play last night.

It's not bad - technically pretty decent - but I didn't find it anywhere near as effective as the original, despite upping the gore factor slightly. It emulates the original very closely indeed, so there's not much in way of surprise, and whereas I've always found the original rather creepy, I didn't find this was at all. It's not a bad film; it's well directed, the leads are very good and believable as a real couple, and a film always gains a point if it has an interesting soundtrack - the drone/synth of this being very effective; but for me, director Makinov (plastering his name over the credits in bold at every opportunity) has simply made a passable copy of an already perfect film, and despite upping the gore has managed to lose both the intensity and insanity.

SCM 25th May 2013 10:10 AM

Rewatched The Warriors last night, brilliant film: well shot, great soundtrack and a hell of a lot of imagination when it came to design the gangs

demonknight 25th May 2013 01:52 PM

Watched Twilight Zone The Movie last night.
Great stuff, hadn't seen it for a very long time.
Hard to watch the first story without thinking
about what happened to Vic Morrow and the
two unfortunate children. Horrible stuff. It looked
decent enough on Bluray, while the sound was
very impressive. Just a trailer to watch after.
I'm thinking Black Sabbath tonight for my late
night viewing :pop2:

Vampix 25th May 2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 343589)
Watched Twilight Zone The Movie last night.
Great stuff, hadn't seen it for a very long time.
Hard to watch the first story without thinking
about what happened to Vic Morrow and the
two unfortunate children. Horrible stuff. It looked
decent enough on Bluray, while the sound was
very impressive. Just a trailer to watch after.
I'm thinking Black Sabbath tonight for my late
night viewing :pop2:

I like Twilight Zone - The Movie too.I've got the DVD, which I think was a HMV exclusive.I love the final story with John Lithgow and the Craig Reardon-designed gremlin on the plane wing.There's also some excellent FX by Rob Bottin in the story involving the creepy kid who makes cartoon characters come to life.I can't watch the Vic Morrow story without thinking of the tragic circumstances surrounding it either.

demonknight 25th May 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 343591)
I like Twilight Zone - The Movie too.I've got the DVD, which I think was a HMV exclusive.I love the final story with John Lithgow and the Craig Reardon-designed gremlin on the plane wing.There's also some excellent FX by Rob Bottin in the story involving the creepy kid who makes cartoon characters come to life.I can't watch the Vic Morrow story without thinking of the tragic circumstances surrounding it either.

I love the final story too with John Lithgow.
He's so good in it.

keirarts 25th May 2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 343535)
Yeah it's a bit weird but quite effective and the extreme close-ups of the faces of the perpertrators are pretty vile (the whole point of course). Next one for me'll be Wild Beasts though I hear mixed reviews.

The animal cruelty in Wild beasts is pretty disgusting. Beyond that its a fairly standard trashy italian explotation film.

gag 25th May 2013 07:08 PM

It's in the blood.

Father and son on a hunting trip but difference is they are being hunted by their past. Quite a decent watch.

Zann 25th May 2013 08:26 PM

The Man with the Severed Head

Not bad for a freebie, not bad at all! Wrongly assumed this'd be dog shit. Really enjoyed it :)

JoshuaKaitlyn 25th May 2013 09:44 PM

Django Unchained (2012) :nod: Not had that much fun in ages!

troggi 25th May 2013 10:50 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Guess what I watched?
Any ideas?
That's right boys and girls, I watched the most enjoyable crap I'd seen all day, and I went to Bognor today!

:peep:

Metallicbomb 26th May 2013 01:25 AM

Just watched
Ted - never seen this before i enjoyed it very much even if ted has the same
voice as every other character voiced by seth and the same predictable humour as Family Guy i still really enjoyed it.
Bronson - I've seen this once before and i loved it as much this time if not more, a great biography film with a fantastic performance from Tom Hardy.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 343656)
Django Unchained (2012) :nod: Not had that much fun in ages!

FANTASTIC-ain't it?

Up there with Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill I reckon!

The almost three hour running time zipped by in no time!

fuzzymctiger 26th May 2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 343706)
FANTASTIC-ain't it?

Up there with Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill I reckon!

The almost three hour running time zipped by in no time!

To be honest, out of the Tarantinos I've seen, Pulp Fiction and Django are my two least favorite. :peep:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2013 08:09 AM

:brick::fencing: :lol:

Each to his own!

Pulp Fiction or Django worse than Death Proof?
You having a laugh mate?:tongue1:

Anyway,HMV had the soundtrack for seven quid.Well worth a punt.:dance:

demonknight 26th May 2013 08:54 AM

Black Sabbath Bluray from Arrow :coolblue:

Rik 26th May 2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 343709)
To be honest, out of the Tarantinos I've seen, Pulp Fiction and Django are my two least favorite. :peep:

Pulp Fiction is his greatest film IMO, my personal favourite film of all time, and Django Unchained is his best film in years

Zann 26th May 2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 343721)
Pulp Fiction is his greatest film IMO, my personal favourite film of all time, and Django Unchained is his best film in years

Same here, watched it a ridiculous number of times during the 90s :)

fuzzymctiger 26th May 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 343713)
:brick::fencing: :lol:

Each to his own!

Pulp Fiction or Django worse than Death Proof?
You having a laugh mate?:tongue1:

Anyway,HMV had the soundtrack for seven quid.Well worth a punt.:dance:

I actually really enjoyed Death Proof! I'd probably rank it his 3rd best, behind Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill 1 in first.

Also, I prefer the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, it's more my taste :)

Vampix 26th May 2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 343721)

I agree, Pulp Fiction is his best, followed by Jackie Brown imo.I wasn't as impressed with Django Unchained as some others on here.It was alright, I personally preferred his previous film, Inglourious Basterds.

JoshuaKaitlyn 26th May 2013 12:05 PM

I keep finding myself singing the theme tune! lol! "Django..."

fuzzymctiger 26th May 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 343755)
I keep finding myself singing the theme tune! lol! "Django..."

I constantly find myself starting to sing Little Green Bag, then finding other people joining in! :rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th May 2013 03:23 PM

Reservoir Dogs all the way with me.

Edgy, violent, actors at the top of their game, the coolest soundtrack and endlessly quotable.

pedromonkey 26th May 2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 343770)
Reservoir Dogs all the way with me.

Edgy, violent, actors at the top of their game, the coolest soundtrack and endlessly quotable.

have to agree Dem, Reservoir Dogs all the way too.

Slippery Jack 26th May 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 343753)
I wasn't as impressed with Django Unchained as some others on here.It was alright, I personally preferred his previous film, Inglourious Basterds.

Ditto. I'm surprised by the number of folk here who loved Django Unchained (I'm with Fuzzy - definitely prefer Death Proof to it!). I found it surprisingly uninvolving and uninteresting. I never cared about Django's quest to rescue Broomhilda, and their relationship was never sold as anything particularly special. Plus I was disappointed by Waltz's carbon copy performance from Basterds, and I thought the dialogue lacked the zing we've come to expect ("I like the way you die, boy" seemed like someone trying and failing to imitate a Tarantino one-liner!). Oh yeah, and I though the sountrack sucked :eek: . . .

To end on a positive note, Sam Jackson was awesome, deserved to be in a better film . . .

sawyer6 26th May 2013 04:13 PM

1)2)The first two gangster films ever(short and full feature),3)this film, released in 1972 is the first South African thriller ever filmed with some Giallo elements,4)trippy film by Roeg(as always) starring a real alien ! 5)the first Arerican film by Milos Forman talks about the ''confused'' generation of the 70's,6)the cult classic,7)Midori,underground anime with VERY disturbing scenes about an abused young girl in a freakshow circus,definitely for a few! 8)anime short with beautiful visuals,based on a novel,9)10) two animated movies from Hungary about the eternal fight between cats and mice,11) anime about a soul that has a new chance in life and is placed in the body of a 14-year-old boy who has just committed suicide,12)Spanish animated film with no dialogue and minimal animation about a man who is saved by a mermaid who guides him in an underwater world,13)Polish animated short about a pessimistic futuristic world,14)The Rebellion of Red Maria, the latest of cult director Costas Zapas,15)second time around of this nice movie,16)I didn't expect to like this one ,it was good though

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zho6mw.jpg

troggi 26th May 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 343775)
,4)trippy film by Roeg(as always) starring a real alien !

As I may have said in other postings I read more or less anything in English (yes, that includes American too) in the horror/fantasy/science fiction genres. That included an awful lot of pulp fiction from the 1950s-60s. "The man who Fell to Earth" was among these pulp fiction books. As with other books of this type a cheap, monochrome movie was made and shown in the flea pits and drive-ins around the States, eventually finding it's way on to U.K. T.V. in the late 1960s- early '70s. I remember seeing the film because I had read the book.

I would love to see this version again but can I find it? Can a bear stick it's thumb up it's arse? All I can find is the Roeg/Bowie hybrid.

Will someone please tell me that I am not a) mad, b) trying to remember a good film version of the book that I enjoyed so much, or c) a refugee from another dimension in which the monochrome earlier film is actually remembered.

Can anyone help?

:pray:

Dave Boy 26th May 2013 07:19 PM

Hammer Films

The Vengeance Of She (1968)

Never Take Sweets From Stranger (1960)

The Witches (1966)

Fear In The Night (1972)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th May 2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 343804)
As I may have said in other postings I read more or less anything in English (yes, that includes American too) in the horror/fantasy/science fiction genres. That included an awful lot of pulp fiction from the 1950s-60s. "The man who Fell to Earth" was among these pulp fiction books. As with other books of this type a cheap, monochrome movie was made and shown in the flea pits and drive-ins around the States, eventually finding it's way on to U.K. T.V. in the late 1960s- early '70s. I remember seeing the film because I had read the book.

I would love to see this version again but can I find it? Can a bear stick it's thumb up it's arse? All I can find is the Roeg/Bowie hybrid.

Will someone please tell me that I am not a) mad, b) trying to remember a good film version of the book that I enjoyed so much, or c) a refugee from another dimension in which the monochrome earlier film is actually remembered.

Can anyone help?

:pray:

I can find is one which was made in 1987:
The Man Who Fell to Earth (TV program) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

re.form 26th May 2013 08:40 PM

ANGEL HEART -- always fun to watch De Niro as Mr. Cypher, and having not seen the film for years, quite strange to see Mickey Rourke in his former 'life' as a good looking sleazeball.

AMERICAN MARY - I can appreciate this indie-horror for bringing something quite new to the table (body modification and a very interesting female protagonist), but at the same time I was underwhelmed by it for the most part. The last act fell flat for me.

THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH -- cracking gialli from Martino, enhanced greatly by that brilliant soundtrack. One of the best. Here's hoping shameless get some more films out.

JoshuaKaitlyn 26th May 2013 09:19 PM

I'm All Right Jack (1959) British comedy with Peter Sellers made me chuckle!

SShaw 26th May 2013 10:19 PM

I spent the weekend in Hamburg at the Japan Film Festival Hamburg where I saw:

Ushijima the Loan Shark (fantastic)
End of the Night (good)
Bushido Man (fun)
My Departure (fantastic)
An Assassin (good)

and a half-dozen shorts.

I will write up my thoughts in the films over on my Diary thread in the coming days.

Zann 26th May 2013 10:49 PM

The Son Of No One

Much better than the negative reviews would have you believe. Solid performances and a good, if predictable, story.

Metallicbomb 27th May 2013 12:28 AM

Once Upon A Time In The West - Classic Great Film
Lawrence Of Arabia - Another Classic Great Film
Scooby-Doo - Very Enjoyable Fun Film
A Perfect Murder - Prefer Dial M But Still A Great Re-Make
Batman & Robin - I Like This Film Alot In A Stupid Corny Way Despite All The Hate.
:popcorn::pop2::popcorn::pop2:

Chrispyduck 27th May 2013 05:55 AM

Gestapo's last orgy, seen it on youtube last night, first Nazi exploitation I've seen, can understand why it's banned but found it boring not enough horror for me.

Also tried watching Nekromantik, well that was the polar opposite, whether it was the mood I was in, it was too much for me may try again in the future:lol:

keirarts 27th May 2013 06:23 AM

Mr. Sardonicus.

A doctor from 'ye olde london town' heads to eastern europe at the request of his ex. It seems the man she was forced to marry for money due to her gambling daddy is a nouvoux-riche aristocrat who wears a creepy white mask and lives in the local equivalent of Draculas castle. (superstitious peasants look in horror as the doc tells them where he's going!) He even has a deformed one-eyed butler whose favourite saying seems to be "when the master tells me to do a thing, I do it no matter what it is!" despite the fact his sadist boss is the reason he only has one eye. It turns out Sardonicus was a pesant at one point who dug up his fathers corpse to retrieve a winning lottery ticket (I dont judge, I'd be tempted to do the same thing) and the shock of seeing the rictus grin of old daddy has given Sardonicus the same disturbing grin! The subsequent years of isolation have twisted him into a grade-a sadistic psychopath and he cooly informs the good doctor that he will deform his wife if the doctor dosent fix his face..
William Castle was always best remembered as the master showman fond of promoting his films with weird gimmicks. In this movie he stops the film and allows the audience to choose sardonicus fate, though there was only one ending shot so your stuck with it whatever your own decision was! Like all his films Sardonicus has a lot of charm and is an awful lot of fun. It's probably the only true period based gothic horror he made and for me its the best of his movies. (that he directed of course, i'm fully aware he produced Rosemary's baby!) The Blu-ray picture and sound are generally excellent. Theres some noticable noise in the opening scen with william castle but given the films vintage and the fact the blu-ray cost less than four quid with postage its a great presentation and better than the DVD release.

The Brotherhood of Satan.

A family on vacation end up stranded in some desolate midwest town that has been mysteriously cut of from civilisation as the local kids go missing and the parents die off one by one. The dad joins forces with the local sheriff and priest in order to try and figure out whats going on. Turns out the local doctor is a satanist hell bent on giving himself and his acolytes immortality.
The film is quite weird, the opening ten minutes is almost dialouge free. Its well shot and we get two great performances from Strother Martin and LQ Jones. In fact if I were to compare this to any other movies LQ Jones THE WITCHMAKER would certainly make the list, as would Devils rain and Race with the devil. Its a great little Occult chiller and like Sardonicus it looks great on blu-ray.

Worth pointing out here that the mill creek blu-ray is region locked. So dont go out and buy it unless your american or region free. Shame really as two films of this caliber for less than a pack of fags is a total bargain.

WinterMillennium 27th May 2013 11:49 AM

watched City Of The Living Dead, The Beyond and House By The Cemetery back-to-back at the PCC yesterday, worth the numb arse to hear those scores in glorious Dolby cinema surround!

Demoncrat 27th May 2013 12:47 PM

Watched Bernard Knowles' Shadow Of The Cat (1961) on youtube, as mate refused to watch Gangsters Law (my awwwwwful 23rd Century print as well, philistine!:lol:)

A very effective wee chiller starring Andre Morell and Barbara Shelley centred round an inheritance. Nasty bit at the start ahem. Worth checking out, even if tis a print taken fae C4!!!

Ahem.

Showed mates Lorna on Friday. Well, they said they liked it:rolleyes::laugh:.

One is a Rallizes fan so Il be able to show him Night Of The Assassins later cough;)

J Harker 27th May 2013 01:06 PM

Managed to watch The Vikings with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis last night. Splendid film and a lovely print TCM HD showed too. One I'll pick up on blu if it shows up. Great turn from Ernest Borgnine too as the crazy viking chief Ragnar!

Zann 27th May 2013 02:26 PM

The New Barbarians

Truly, truly awful even with George Eastman, Fred Williamson and a muscle car/popemobile hybrid.