Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree149787Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #56741  
Old 11th October 2021, 10:31 PM
iank's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: QLD, Australia
Default

Aah, I used to have that on VHS under the title Greetings from Medley, Georgia.
Demoncrat likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #56742  
Old 12th October 2021, 02:57 PM
MuckyFunster's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

No time to die

Iím surprised there havenít been more reviews on Cultlabs. Itís been out almost a fortnight now! Lol.

Mrs Funster and I saw the new Bond last week. Its definitely not my favourite entry. Iím a bit scared to say anymore than that incase I taint anyoneís view or accidentally give away a spoiler!

Iíll just have a moan behind a spoiler alert. I promise I wonít give away any plot spoilers, Iíll just moan and moan.

SPOILER:


It didnít have the big action packed opener that other bonds have had. The slow start introduced Rami Malek as the villain and to give some back story. The action packed Ďopenerí came a while later and was tied into the Bond back story, referencing the other films and giving nods.

From there it morphed towards one of those 80s action movies where our hero is a bit older and washed up, hiding out in the wilderness like a hermit and drinking too much - you know the films where, in civilisation, itís all kicking off and the generals can only think of one person who can possibly save the day, though they didnít go so far as to say ďBond?! Heís a loose cannon!! Ö but, godammit heís the best chance weíve got..!Ē So they go to get him and heís reluctant to get involved. They appeal to his better nature and talk him into it, just like they did with Rambo (probably).

From there it felt like 2 more hours of cliches and cameos.

I feel like this could have been any spy movie. Iím a big Bond fan, and I really like Daniel Craig.

For me, NTTD just didnít have that ĎBond magicí.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #56743  
Old 12th October 2021, 03:17 PM
MacBlayne's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Edge
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
No time to die

Iím surprised there havenít been more reviews on Cultlabs. Itís been out almost a fortnight now! Lol.

Mrs Funster and I saw the new Bond last week. Its definitely not my favourite entry. Iím a bit scared to say anymore than that incase I taint anyoneís view or accidentally give away a spoiler!

Iíll just have a moan behind a spoiler alert. I promise I wonít give away any plot spoilers, Iíll just moan and moan.

SPOILER:


It didnít have the big action packed opener that other bonds have had. The slow start introduced Rami Malek as the villain and to give some back story. The action packed Ďopenerí came a while later and was tied into the Bond back story, referencing the other films and giving nods.

From there it morphed towards one of those 80s action movies where our hero is a bit older and washed up, hiding out in the wilderness like a hermit and drinking too much - you know the films where, in civilisation, itís all kicking off and the generals can only think of one person who can possibly save the day, though they didnít go so far as to say ďBond?! Heís a loose cannon!! Ö but, godammit heís the best chance weíve got..!Ē So they go to get him and heís reluctant to get involved. They appeal to his better nature and talk him into it, just like they did with Rambo (probably).

From there it felt like 2 more hours of cliches and cameos.

I feel like this could have been any spy movie. Iím a big Bond fan, and I really like Daniel Craig.

For me, NTTD just didnít have that ĎBond magicí.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrote a review for it last week. I have my issues, but I loved it. My second favourite of the Craig era.

1. Casino Royale
2. No Time to Die
3. Skyfall
4. Spectre
5. Quantum of Solace
trebor8273 and MuckyFunster like this.
__________________
"We're outgunned, and undermanned. But, you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind."
Reply With Quote
  #56744  
Old 12th October 2021, 03:26 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

I won't be seeing it until home video in afraid, cinemas in Liverpool are so expensive!
__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
  #56745  
Old 12th October 2021, 03:30 PM
MacBlayne's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Edge
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I won't be seeing it until home video in afraid, cinemas in Liverpool are so expensive!
Fair enough, but I still recommend seeing this in cinemas. The visuals are opulent. The Cuba scene alone is incredible.
__________________
"We're outgunned, and undermanned. But, you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind."
Reply With Quote
  #56746  
Old 12th October 2021, 03:34 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Fair enough, but I still recommend seeing this in cinemas. The visuals are opulent. The Cuba scene alone is incredible.
I'll sit closer to my TV so it's the same effect haha

Unfortunately the UK has the highest rates of (the pandemic) in Europe which is also putting me off, if I was in Japan I'd definitely go! In fact add soon as they open the borders for tourists I'll be booking my flights, it's been 2 years now since my last trip.
__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
  #56747  
Old 12th October 2021, 08:22 PM
MuckyFunster's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Wrote a review for it last week. I have my issues, but I loved it. My second favourite of the Craig era.

1. Casino Royale
2. No Time to Die
3. Skyfall
4. Spectre
5. Quantum of Solace

Yes, I read your review after I saw the movie. Iíd just been expecting the reviews to really come flooding in. I must have overestimated how eagerly the movie was anticipated among members! I share so much of my film tastes among members that I need to occasionally remind myself that we still like different things :-)

I agree with the points you make and about how the Bond character has evolved to leave the womanising and the wisecracking for new priorities. But, for me, the womanising and wisecracking were all part of the package along with the out-of-this-world (and sometimes really ridiculous) gadgets.

Although I should add that the Daniel Craig films are the only ones weíve been able to watch with the kids. I donít know how comfortable Iíd be explaining to my 8 year oldís impressionable young mind why Bond has brought the woman in the bath a pair of shoes to wear instead of clothes! Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #56748  
Old 13th October 2021, 08:43 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

For my part I'm amazed that I still haven't heard this Bond song yet. It's a little thing I know but, e.g. I was heartily sick of the Sam Smith song by the time I saw Spectre, but it worked in the context (I felt) ahem. But this one? Yes, I could YT it right now, but this time I'll just hear it in situ. Ahem.


Phobe: The Xenophobic Experiments (1995, Erika Benedikty)

More Z grade Canadian SF from Intervision. TF
Made over a year, this is a hoot eh?
Ahem.
Evil science goes awry, Earth pays the price, enter badass, exit sanity etc.
Genuinely makes Things look like The Lighthouse
Where do they find these?
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
  #56749  
Old 19th October 2021, 09:28 AM
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

No Time To Die

After letting the inital rush die down, I finally saw this and whilst it was overlong, it wasn't too bad even though Remi Malek was underused. When Connery, Moore and Brosnan were Bond, they played it straight but loosened up when necessary. However I found Daniel Craig to be far too serious.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Tom Hardy returns and this time he is after a Serial Killer (Played brilliantly by Woody Harrelson) I didn't think that the 1st one was all that but as it was the origin story, it was forgiven. However i found this one to be far more entertaining with some great funny sarcastic lines.

SPOILER:
The mid-credit scene was intresting with the Spiderman references.


Halloween Kills

Micheal Myers is back and doing what he normally does and this time the residents band together and try to stop him. Plenty of kills (But repetitive) and even though I was looking forward to this one, I felt that it didn't quite hit the mark.

SPOILER:
The thing that got me was how Micheal Myers was indestructable even though he's apparantly human. However this was seemingly addressed at the end of the Film and hopefully Halloween Ends explains it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nttd.jpg (7.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vltbc.jpg (11.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg hk.jpg (9.8 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote
  #56750  
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:36 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Copshop (2021, Joe Carnahan)

Buuuuutler and Frank Grillo? Aye, go on then.
A routine bust leads to ... an unusual situation to say the least.
Liked it til the woke kicked in. Toby Huss partly saves the film with a fun turn.




Dune (2021, Dennis Villeneuve)

Part one. No Sting! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Film of the year
Ahem.
I liked this, though it made me awfully thirsty
I've never read Dune. I never wanted to. I only watched it because of Lynch tbh.
Space Opera needs the big budget, or it looks like Battlefield Earth
Second part may be fun certainly, and I liked how the worms looked ahem.
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.