Old 4th November 2021, 01:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like both Sicario films.

The 'drive' into Mexico is utterly gripping in the first one. More memorable than any action sequence in a million superhero films for me.

Had i not seen them both only 12 months ago they'd have been upgraded to Blu-ray already.
I think the first one is a great film and it's one I upgraded to 4K Ultra HD. The opening sequence is a showcase for the format, perfect reference material. The visuals are stunning and there is a moment where a helicopter appears from behind you and the right, flies over the right side of the room and over the TV screen. It's incredible.

The second film is not the same quality as, without Emily Blunt's Kate as the moral compass, it lacks the same sociopolitical commentary. It's still a very good film, though not the minor masterpiece that Denis Villeneuve directed.
Old 4th November 2021, 06:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well this will probably be a unpopular opinion but I enjoyed them for what they are, pure popcorn fodder escapism, no one really watches these for the plot off the human characters who are a bit dull apart from the parents and John Turturro it's the transformers themselves and the battles which shit most definitely blows up, both movies are stunning looking showcase for 4K and pounding groundshaking Atmos soundtrack .

We have giant robots etc but the most unbelievable thing of these films is how Sam can get Megan Fox!

Now watching.

Old 4th November 2021, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sicario: Day Of The Sodlado. 2018.

The drug war on the U.S. has escalated and Matt Graver believes the cartel are smuggling terrorists across the border and re-teams up with Alejandro to put a stop to it.

As we know sequels don't always match up to the predecessor but I gotta say this was F@:king awesome, there is no wasting time about very explosive opening sequence (literally explosive) Mathew Modine talking about terrorism and stuff hitting the fan at a supermarket, goes to show terrorists have no emotion.

Josh Brolin wants to go after the cartel and do things his way and make it unorthodox and teams up with Benicio Del Toro who again shows why he can be a awesome leading actor. The action sequences are brilliantly done, even at the end Alejandro has that expression on his face as you really don't know what he is going to do, will we get a third installment?

sicario-2-soldado-quad-poster.jpg
Old 4th November 2021, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Communion. 1989.

Author Whitley Strieber takes his wife and son on holiday to their cabin, there he believes there is some strange occurrence happening and thinks he was abducted by a U.F.O and seeks help to see if it was true or just a dream.

Christopher Walken shows how great of a actor he is in this, on how the character he is playing can be calm one minute then become aggressive the next, it can play on the mind whether is Whitley telling the truth about being abducted or is he being paranoid. The acting in this is really good and solid, there is quite a tense atmosphere throughout the film, certainly worth watching.

MV5BMTg5MDkzNjYwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDcyMjE5._V1_.jpg
Old 4th November 2021, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Born A Champion

A BJJ expert in the early days of MMA trains to defeat one of the sport's top stars. These Films are a dime a dozen but I sense that this was a passion project and it is definitely one of the more entertaining ones.

Bloodsport III

Daniel Bernhardt is back and he defends his title in order to get revenge on the people who murdered his Mentor. Not bad, worth a watch every now and then, if you're into these type of Movies.

People VS Larry Flint

Excellent Biopic starring an excellent Woody Harrelson as the Founder of Hustler Magazine as he battles the Politicians/Religious Leaders and Court Cases that he faced. One of my favorite Films that has a great supporting cast lead by Courtney Love and Edward Norton.

Death Ranch

A Grindhouse style Film set in 1971 which sees 3 people who are hunted down by a Cannibalistic KKK gang. Not a bad watch with some really good gore scenes.

Final Chapter: Bloodsport IV

Totally unrelated Sequel starring as a Cop who is investigating an Underground Kumite Tournament. Like the other Sequels, worth a watch, every now and then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bac.jpg (10.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg biii.jpg (12.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg pvlf.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dr.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg fcbiv.jpg (9.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th November 2021, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quest For The Mighty Sword. 1990.

A god gave a mighty sword to a king and wants it back, Prince Ator who has the sword goes on a quest.

Another Filmirage move and directed by Joe D'Amato...wait the guy who gave us good horror flicks has directed a PG rated movie on Medieval times, yes he did. I never realised this was part of a trilogy of the Ator character but it did go under Troll 3 title and yes a Troll from the second one does make a appearance and does talk. The set pieces are done decently, the acting is...not bad shall we say, it's so bad this is one I would go back to watch again.

220px-Ator_4_poster.jpg
Old 5th November 2021, 01:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

V For Vendetta. 2005.

In the future of a British Tyranny, a freedom fighter known as 'V' plots to bring down the government.

I never read the novel art this was based on when I went in to this a few years back and was never quite sure what I would take to this film, honestly this movie was and still is fantastic. Based on the Guy Fawkes legend, V follows in his footsteps to bring down the new government regime as a act of revenge, during the film we see what happens to him.

Hugo Weaving plays the lead brilliantly while Natalie Portman dons a classy English accent as the T.V. worker incorporated to be a assistant to the freedom fighter. John Hurt plays the new leader of the political party and his new ways that Britain is strong in their ways. Stephen Rea plays the Chief Inspector tasked with finding the terrorist and Stephen Fry as the head of a television show. The film does have a dark tone to it with plenty of blood shed, action and great fighting scenes, some bits do tend to drag on but makes up with some explanation as to why they drag on.

51QXJR225KL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 5th November 2021, 09:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
V For Vendetta. 2005.

In the future of a British Tyranny, a freedom fighter known as 'V' plots to bring down the government.

I never read the novel art this was based on when I went in to this a few years back and was never quite sure what I would take to this film, honestly this movie was and still is fantastic. Based on the Guy Fawkes legend, V follows in his footsteps to bring down the new government regime as a act of revenge, during the film we see what happens to him.

Hugo Weaving plays the lead brilliantly while Natalie Portman dons a classy English accent as the T.V. worker incorporated to be a assistant to the freedom fighter. John Hurt plays the new leader of the political party and his new ways that Britain is strong in their ways. Stephen Rea plays the Chief Inspector tasked with finding the terrorist and Stephen Fry as the head of a television show. The film does have a dark tone to it with plenty of blood shed, action and great fighting scenes, some bits do tend to drag on but makes up with some explanation as to why they drag on.

Attachment 237493

this is tonights watch
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 6th November 2021, 01:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Whispering Shadow. 1933.

A criminal mastermind called 'The Whispering shadow' commits crimes with a gang he controls by using television and radio waves. A man who's brother was murdered believes Professor Strang who owns a wax museum may be involved.

Back in the day...jeez I sounded like Abe Simpson
26gl91.jpg this may have been a good thriller, this was unintentional laughter, the fight was comical and some of the acting was not to be taken seriously, except from Bela Lugosi. This was crime thriller with a hint of Science-Fiction using air waves to control people, still it's entertaining.

MV5BMTkxODI5MzUwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDg0ODE5._V1_.jpg
Old 6th November 2021, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

MIDNIGHT – Drawing from the same pool of regional talent used by his erstwhile partner in crime George Romero, director John Russo brings us by-the-numbers backwoods horror from the hinterlands of Pennsylvania, where a teenage runaway has escaped her abusive father only to find herself surrounded by fascist coppers and a satanic cult. ‘Midnight’ is not a very good film, in fact it’s clunky and incredibly dated through today’s impatient movie-going eyes, BUT I’ll go out on a limb and say that it gets one or two things right, and… I just liked it. Through its flaws, ‘Midnight’ somehow manages to convey quite a claustrophobic atmosphere; considering it offers a world full of sex predators and racists, made even grimmer by a soundtrack that veers between something like twee AOR and industrial noise, perhaps that shouldn’t be surprising.

ROBOTRIX – What the hell did they think they were all wearing? OK, I’ll make allowances for the fact we’ve landed in an early nineties HK imagining of the cybernetic future, so “groovy”, I guess. ‘Robotrix’ is basically a distaff mangling of ‘Robocop’ / ‘Terminator’-type tropes that sees a cop resurrected as an android so a less law-abiding robot can be brought to justice. True to its ilk, moments of wince-inducing goofball knockabout and insipid sentimentality coincide with a cavalier attitude to sexual violence, and I don’t know how the BBFC roll these days, but I imagine the stuff on show here must’ve left them at least a little bit disgruntled. Not very defensible on any level, but authentically mind-boggling cine-trash nonetheless.

CLASH – Someone who looks a bit like Catherine Deneuve is holed up in an abandoned factory, where she waits for her boyfriend and his criminal gang. ‘Clash’ was made by Raphael Delpard, who some might know from one of his other weird horror films, ‘Night of Death’ (the one set in a care home). It’s very minimal and atmospheric, and beguiles us with rooms full of mannequins, long moments empty of all but shadows, and a guy whose ability to combine utter silence with a deathly stare reminded me of someone I did performance art with at college. If you enjoy frowning at ‘symbolic’ dream sequences, you’ll be in your element. I liked it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!