Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2021, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

They're be no Nicholas Cage if uncle Francis didn't pull some strings.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2021, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well not as bad as I was expecting , but not a patch on the first two, it's more of a passing of the torch with Michael's taking his brother Sonnys son in and teaching him the ways of the business, they get involved or are already involved with the one institution more corrupted and dangerous than the mob, the Vatican!

As I've already said sofia coppola might be a good filmmaker but she's a awful actress and then film could of been better without her wooden perfromance, which is a insult too trees. I can understand why he went for the operatic ending but it just seemed too drag on and on for me. Will happily watch the first two again and again but not this.

Next up.

Old 9th November 2021, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blood Tide (1982)

A young couple played by Martin Kove and Mary Louise Weller go to a Greek island where Kove's sister (Deborah Shelton)allegedly disappeared. Soon after arriving they find her shacked up with James Earl Jones' treasure hunter, whilst drug fueled ramblings of ancient monsters and human sacrifice are frequently spouted by islander Jose Ferrer.

Although produced by Nico Mastorakis this lacks the breathless energy of his directing gigs in the 80's, after an hour you realise there's more horror in a typical episode of The Hairy Bikers than there is in Blood Tide yet despite high levels of nothingness i was never bored and often enthralled.

The island has the same sun drenched cliff tops of other 'classic' Greek set horrors such as Incense for the Damned (1981) and The Devil's Men (1976) and shares those films levels of comforting dreariness randomly punctuated by shots of beautiful deep blue seas and even more beautiful bikini babes -Those with a nervous disposition had better steer clear of Kove's white shorts - Meanwhile James Earl Jones does his own private audition for the role of grizzled sea captain in the Jaws sequel that never happened.

They really don't make films like this anymore and i'm not sure i can recommend it but will say i rather enjoyed it for all it's lacklustre mystical goings on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Blood_Tide_FilmPoster.jpeg (59.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 9th November 2021, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Did wonder what you'ld think about it D.

No Time To Die

Trying to have your cake and eat it is a hard act to pull off. I will admit that my attention did wander after the intro .... but I'm still sort of reeling from hearing a certain word so bear with me. They all have this ricketty feel now, a knock on from having to shoehorn in so much to placate certain interests. I'll say nothing more.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2021, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Torture Ship. 1939.

A mad scientist performs on the criminal mind of prisoners on his private boat.

This was one of those 'not great not terrible' movies, it has a ok cast and good direction, is it a horror, drama, thriller movie...who knows, as there is more talking in this than anything else. At 50 minutes it's like they tried to cram everything they could in this for the running time and badly edited some things out that could help the film with the plot.

9889.jpg
Old 10th November 2021, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Things Happen At Night. 1948.

A young girl is possessed by a mischievous ghost.

One of the old Dark House films, that has a small band of band of actors and one trying to be a ghost hunter, other trying to disapprove of ghosts and one girl caught in the middle. This is a straight up comedy with some laughs and ghostly moments within a dark gloomy house. Entertaining enough.

52392_1_front.jpg
Old 10th November 2021, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Walk Like A Panther

A group of retired British Wrestlers reform to save a local Pub. Quite surprised to see this on Channel 4 (Premier was on at 00:45) as it's never received a DVD/Blu-Ray release and I only remember it because I saw it at the Cinema. It's worth a watch.

Dune

It's not bad but I didn't find it as enjoyable as other reviewers. The Film looks stunning but for me, It's got that Lord Of The Rings vibe where this is just the start and the other parts are where all the Action is. Not as confusing as I thought it would be though.

The Eternals

All the poor reviews this got beforehand were justified. It's overlong and really clunky. Spider Man: No Way Home is out in December and that should be good and then we have a bit of a break from Marvel. For me that's a good thing. The Eternals is definitely one of the worst Marvel Movies out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wlap.jpg (13.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (7.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (5.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th November 2021, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
The Eternals

All the poor reviews this got beforehand were justified. It's overlong and really clunky. Spider Man: No Way Home is out in December and that should be good and then we have a bit of a break from Marvel. For me that's a good thing. The Eternals is definitely one of the worst Marvel Movies out there.
I bought the Blu of Black Widow last week for £6 and that's me done with Marvel for good.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th November 2021, 05:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Drums Of Jeopardy. 1931.

A doctor driven by madness over the death of his daughter, seeks revenge against the family he believes is responsible for her death.

This was a decent film, the film first half is built up well with the story and pace and somewhat becomes a bit slow and tense, there is a few plot holes or some bits missing, but there are some good whitty humour put in and a arrangement of cliche characters that seem to be a bit of a oddball dinner scene. Entertaining early revenge film.

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 10th November 2021, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Amazing Transparent Man. 1960.

A crazed scientist develops a invisibility formula and tries it out on a escaped prisoner.

A bit of a homage to The Invisible Man, a mad scientist creates a formula and can't really control the outcome, this one is just under a hour long and doesn't feel rushed or everything crammed together. The acting isn't that bad but does have that low grade B movie budget vibe to it, this is one I would go back to watch again.

MV5BNTIwNjgwNTE2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTU4MTkwMzE@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!