Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2021, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Godzilla Vs Kong. 2021.

Two creatures battle it out while humanity is caught in the middle.

We got two movie creatures, both seem to be good guys yet they are tested for the greatest battle to see who is dominant and someone pulling the strings...sounds familiar...Batman Vs Superman. That reminded while I was watching this, two film favourites battle it out then the enemy shows up and all hell breaks out even more. The acting isn't too bad, can get a bit over the top at times but you can't beat the visual effects and decent CGI effects.

cb3e2705-f9b9-4c3f-8fda-7200675dc3ea.jpg
Old 24th November 2021, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

April Fools Day. 1986.

A group of college students are invited to a friend's family home for April Fools weekend and fall foul of a unseen murderer.

This is a slasher movie on a remote island where escape is a definite no no and a killer on the loose...or is there? This is a strange one, kills are mentioned but the violence is pretty low. It may seem like a dim witted bunch of teens trying to escape a serial killer flick but does come with one or two decent twists and turns along the way.

April_Fool's_Day_poster.jpg
Old 25th November 2021, 06:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scanner Cop (1994, Pierre David)

Scanner Cop 2
(1995, Steve Bartnett)

Double bill. I'm sure it said on the original poster that there were only 237 of these buggers on the planet, not 237 in every district
Ahem.
A young man grows up to be a bobby in LA. He meets a fair few miscreants along the way. Lots of that "scanner face" that the sequels set in stone. In the sequel he resembles ... Brad Dourif, if he had done Lethal Weapon cough. Now for Scanner Force!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 26th November 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 25th November 2021, 08:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Venom. 2018.

A failed reporter Eddie Brock's life changes when a alien parasite latches itself on to him and becomes a parasitic antihero called Venom.

This was a film I didn't think i'd enjoy but it was really good, Tom Hardy plays the reporter who comes into contact with the parasite but not of his own free will. The action sequences are good and the car chase with Eddie on a motorbike is done well and decent visual effects added in with some light humour.

Venom+2018.jpg
Old 25th November 2021, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Time to hunt,

Decent Korean action drama,

Four friends and one just come out of prison and realise how everything changed,
Money worthless, everything derelict, no jobs, no future, decide to Rob the only place that bringing in an income and live by the sea, an illegal gambling den,
Once they do so it then becomes a cat and mouse chase,

Well made, nicely done, some great scenery, once the action starts it’s plodding along very nicely without going daft, Ridiculous or Ott.

Maybe Hollywood could take a leaf out of films like this and realise that you don’t have to go fast and furious 9 or Micheal bay style with the soulless more bigger, and the crash bang wallop boom action isn’t necessarily the best.

Recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 904075EC-D0ED-4AE3-907B-433D6003D240.jpg (85.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th November 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paganini Horror. 1988.

A female punk band play some music bought from a sinister man, they play it in a old mansion and realise they have opened a portal to hell.

This may not be the best horror from Lewis Coates (Luigi Cozzi) starring Daria Nicolodi and Donald Pleasance but its fun to watch with Pleasance playing a sinister man with a badly dubbed voice. Cozzi did try to make it decently with the killings but did kinda fail a bit as we see what will happen and the blood splatter but seems a bit light for his work. Think the better laugh was the group trying to sing and was thinking Milli Vanilli lip synced better than what they did.

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 26th November 2021, 02:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Field Guide To Evil. 2018.

A series of short stories based from around the world of, Myths, Folklore, Witches, Demons and Ghosts.

The Sinful Women of Höllfall. Austria
Kathi lives with her mother in 19th century Austria were love and life are a sin, she meets a young women while washing clothes by a stream but at night she is visited by a strange creature.

Haunted by Al Karisi, the Childbirth Djinn. Turkey
A young woman due to give birth and caring for her elderly mother in law starts to feel tormented by a goat. When her baby is born unexplained things begin to happen.

The Kindler and the Virgin. Poland
A traveler sees a woman on a snowy path, she reveals to him if he eats three hearts he will have untold knowledge and power.

Beware the Melonheads. America.
A couple with their young son go on a trip, while there Arnold sees a young person in the woods and is visited by him at night. When Arnold goes missing, his father runs to the woods and discovers a horrible secret.

What Ever Happened to Panagas the pagan. Greece
In 1984 on a small island it is rumoured that goblins who worship a blue flame come to blend in with drunk humans, some islanders may go too far when a goblin appears with them.

The Palace of Horrors. India.
In 1919, a group of men find a ruined castle with deformed human curiosities and strange rites that are collected by a deranged king.

A Nocturnal Breath. Germany.
A brother and sister living in a isolated farm believe they are being tormented by a ghost which wants to possess them.

Cobblers Lot. Hungary.
Two brothers compete for the attention of a princess, a decision that involves black magic rituals.

At under 2 hours every story is about 15-20 minutes long, some of these back story's i know but they are told decently and every one of them always comes with a twist. With them they are subtitles although the last story is told like a silent movie form, the acting isn't that bad but there is two segments that deal with animal killing so be aware. Worth a glance.

field_guide_to_evil_bg.jpg
Old 26th November 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Stagefright (1987)

Although the first half of debut director Michele Soavi's film about a crazed killer running amok during rehearsals on a musical production is a bit of a slog as it throws out a stereotypical bunch of musical play types - bitchy lead actress, rejected actress, gay extra, ego inflated director, lecherous producer - however the gory murders keep you interested until a far more interesting showdown between the owl masked killer and the resourceful final girl.

Although i've never found Stagefright a top class giallo slasher film, some of the imagery is certainly memorable such as the weird bird masked killer arranging the bodies of his victims across the stage like some macabre theatre production bathed in a sea of blood.

Good but not great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51t6oyc2lzL._AC_SX342_ (1).jpg (28.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th November 2021, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Firepower. 1993.

Two cops risk their lives and badges to infiltrate a no holds barred death ring fight and expose a black market ring in futuristic Los Angeles.

Chad McQueen and Gary Daniels play the two officers who infiltrate the Hell Zone fight club and it's leader Joseph Ruskin and his top fighter The Swordsman played by Jim Hellwig...yes The Ultimate Warrior in a action packed film. Chad's acting is a bit wooden at times but Gary delivers a decent performance and good fight scenes, entertaining for a early 90s film.

MV5BMTg2NTg3NDYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzcxNzAyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 27th November 2021, 01:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showdown In Little Tokyo. 1991.

Two L.A. cops are teamed together and bring down a Yakuza drug lord who one of the cops has a vendetta against.

Dolph Lundren and Brandon Lee star as the mismatched buddy cops, American who knows abut Japanese culture and a Japanese who doesn't does make it a bit funny. Tia Carrere stars as the love interest even though her body double can leave a good impression, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa plays the Yakuza Iron Claw bad guy. There is some good fight scenes but does have some incontinuities, I'm pretty sure the guy who killed himself does appear in a few scenes later alive and well.

MV5BMzI3NDMzNjEyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM0NTkwMzE@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!