Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2021, 11:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

A superhero film that tries to do something a bit different. Rather than chucking planets at one another Ant Man and the Wasp deals with the real world - car chases, shoot outs, that kinda stuff, but the fact it's all done Incredible Shrinking Man style makes it suitably different and also a lot of fun.

Despite the film being populated by high calibre actors such as Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer and Laurence Fishburne, it was the presence of the lovely Evangeline Lilly as the Wasp that made me pick this up on Blu-ray the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5bff2157-7614-4183-a4a7-b9d14d3f9c9c.jpg (98.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 9th December 2021, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Gate II: The Tresspassers (1990, Tibor Takacs)

The ginger kid from the first one doesn't learn any lessons as he summons those little buggers once again. Some local "toughs" force their way into this scene with predictable results. Enjoyable if daft sequel.

Hard Kill (2020, Matt Eskadari)

Why Willis gets a pass for his sonambulism in his recent spate of roles when Cage gets shit for his enthusiasm beggars this demon. Tired actioner set in one location. Rewatch Free Fire instead

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th December 2021, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The latest but probably not the last mission impossible, this time Ethan has too deal with a group that wants too bring "peace" too the world by setting off three nukes it's up too Ethan too stop them before they can, but he is framed and has too deal with the CIA and rogue CIA played by Henry Cavill who makes poor old Tom look like a midget!

Another fast paced and exciting entry in the series.

Axel makes his way back too Beverly Hills and teams up with Rosewood and Target when his friend Captian Bogomill. A enjoyable sequel.

Now watching.

Old 9th December 2021, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Notorious Nick

Story based on the Story of Nick Newell, a one armed man who becomes a MMA Fighter. It's not bad, it doesn't drag but it's not an essential watch.

Night Of The Wilding

A P/M Entertainment Film (I do love their Films) sees Eric Estrada as a Defense Attorney who defends 3 Teens from a Rape/Assault Trial (Which they are clearly guilty off) Anyway his ex-wife is the Prosecutor and off course they battle.

This isn't your traditional P/M Entertainment Film as there aren't any Fight scenes nor Car Chases but there is the obligatory Car Crash. This is more of a Legal/Courtroom type Film, one I think they might ran out of Budget/Time because the ending seemed rushed and a sub-storyline at the end seemed unnecessary.

But I was entertained.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nn.jpg (12.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg notw.jpg (9.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th December 2021, 11:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 8th

Pledge Night (1990)

Part slasher part frat comedy about a college hazing that went wrong killing one of the students who returns years later as the crazed Acid Sid to wreak revenge on the fraternity once again.

For the first half Pledge Night plays out like one of the worst, dumbest high school comedies around. The constant stream of hazing rituals become boring very quickly it's so juvenile in it's toilet humour that only the constant stream of T&A (Definitely A in that homo erotic all male hazing tradition - don't eat the cherries) keeps it the slightest bit watchable. It didn't help that the characters we are supposed to root for are so one dimensional and forgettable either.

However the second half with the return of the murderous Acid Sid, who looks a bit like Anthrax singer Joey Belladonna if his head had been dipped in a corrosive substance, certainly livens up as all hell breaks loose. The kills are relatively gore free to begin with but a few choice splatter effects are on offer and a killer character in the Freddy Krueger mold.

Pledge Night is watchable (just) but the term 'It's shit' kinda sums this film up in every way imaginable.

/ 5
Old 9th December 2021, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oh Dem, once seen never forgotten, I know I have watched...what's the term...shit as you say, but your definitely catching up with me
Old 10th December 2021, 12:02 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Oh Dem, once seen never forgotten, I know I have watched...what's the term...shit as you say, but your definitely catching up with me
I do get the feeling i'll end up going back to this. Maybe it's because there was snow on the ground throughout the movie. It actually felt like a Christmas film.

I can't really recommend it to anyone.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 10th December 2021, 12:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I do get the feeling i'll end up going back to this. Maybe it's because there was snow on the ground throughout the movie. It actually felt like a Christmas film.

I can't really recommend it to anyone.
Think this is one of those movies that is watched once and never speak of again.
Old 10th December 2021, 01:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Punisher. 1989.

Dolph Lundgren plays the crime fighting Marvel vigilante Frank Castle aka The Punisher, while Louis Gossett Jr plays his ex partner tracking him down by placing flags on a map that wouldn't really help much would it? There is violence, shoot outs and even the good guy takes one or two hits like a man and shows he is human.

Jeroen Krabba plays the Italian/American gangster who has competition that comes to the city in form of Kim Miyori who isn't taken seriously but shows her force by extorting money from the crime families by kidnapping their children and Krabbe enlists Castle's help to get his son back.

This and the 2004 release have always been good and enjoyable for me, Punisher war zone can go over the top for action with the blood splatter and Doug Hutchinson role is just daft and at times pointless.

p12565_v_h9_aa.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 10th December 2021 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10th December 2021, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 9th

Ten Minutes to Midnight (2020)

Starring Caroline Williams from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II as a DJ at a local radio station who is seemingly bitten by a vampire bat on her way to work one night.

What follows is one lousy argument after another with the station staff and, well i really couldn't tell you as i was zoning out after twenty minutes with sod all happening and when something did happen it was all in Williams imagination. It's a film that tried to be weird and avant garde but simply became dull.

½ / 5

Like this? Share it using the links below!