Old 16th December 2021, 06:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Following on from the previous Movie which sees Peter Parker deal with the aftermath of his identity being revealed. I've have stated previously that I was having Marvel fatigue but I really enjoyed this as it was a continuation of a story rather than a origin story like the previous 3 Marvel Movie releases (Black Widow, Shang-Chi & Eternals)

SPOILER:
What I also liked was the fact that they introduced the Bad Guys from the other versions of Spider-Man and the appearances of Maguire and Garfield. Not sure if it was the intention but I felt that it's a stroke of genius to make those Movies relevant. Also you have an appearance from Matt Murdoch.
In my book there's only one spiderman.... EMOMAN!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th December 2021, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 15th

Shining Sex (1977)

A weird minimalistic fever dream of eroticism which is largely plotless as Lina Romay's exotic dancer is seduced and then enslaved by an inter dimensional being and her male human f*ck toy.

I'm not entirely sure how to even start on this, it's so sparse and lacking in story but what it doesn't lack is sex as director and co-star Jess Franco lets his camera playfully visit wife Romay's now shaven (Yes, really) vagina. In fact Romay's vagina is the star of the show - It gets so much screen time - as she succumbs to an alien life form her body glitters and shimmers as she goes about killing people with her love making until the finale where she's practically a dying silver alien herself.

Perhaps not one of Jess Franco's best films but it was certainly a lot of fun in a fascinatingly pervy way and you can be damn sure the recent Screenbound Blu-ray is missing at the very least the NSFW out takes of Romay performing rough close up fellatio that i watched on the Severin disc.

/ 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-shining-sex-poster.jpg (64.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 17th December 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 17th December 2021, 01:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the new Candyman film. My blu-ray has a front cover quote from Alan Jones describing it as the best horror film of the year. I wouldn't go that far but I did like it. Despite the misleading repeating movie title, this is most definitely a sequel entry and not a remake. There's quite a lot of references to the original movie and it is certainly better than Candyman 2 (I've never seen Candyman 3).

There's a couple of moments where a retelling of past events wasn't quite accurate but I'm pretty sure that's just to show that urban legends are often mutated from truth. One thing did drive me nuts: that a character wouldn't go to hospital with a bad infection much earlier, or that other characters wouldn't also be saying "you need to go to a hospital." But I can still recommend this.

btw I was confused by the film's opening studio logos being backwards but then I realised that it was meant to be a mirror image.
Old 17th December 2021, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Watched the new Candyman film. My blu-ray has a front cover quote from Alan Jones describing it as the best horror film of the year. I wouldn't go that far but I did like it. Despite the misleading repeating movie title, this is most definitely a sequel entry and not a remake. There's quite a lot of references to the original movie and it is certainly better than Candyman 2 (I've never seen Candyman 3).

There's a couple of moments where a retelling of past events wasn't quite accurate but I'm pretty sure that's just to show that urban legends are often mutated from truth. One thing did drive me nuts: that a character wouldn't go to hospital with a bad infection much earlier, or that other characters wouldn't also be saying "you need to go to a hospital." But I can still recommend this.

btw I was confused by the film's opening studio logos being backwards but then I realised that it was meant to be a mirror image.
When people say that quote i tend to be skeptical, think I will watch it over the weekend, think anything will be better than Candyman 3 imo.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 17th December 2021, 01:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Shining Sex (1977)

A weird minimalistic fever dream of eroticism which is largely plotless as Lina Romay's exotic dancer is seduced and then enslaved by an inter dimensional being and her male human f*ck toy.

I'm not entirely sure how to even start on this, it's so sparse and lacking in story but what it doesn't lack is sex as director and co-star Jess Franco lets his camera playfully visit wife Romay's now shaven (Yes, really) vagina. In fact Romay's vagina is the star of the show - It gets so much screen time - as she succumbs to an alien life form her body glitters and shimmers as she goes about killing people with her love making until the finale where she's practically a dying silver alien herself.

Perhaps not one of Jess Franco's best films but it was certainly a lot of fun in a fascinatingly pervy way and you can be damn sure the recent Screenbound Blu-ray is missing at the very least the NSFW out takes of Romay performing rough close up fellatio that i watched on the Severin disc.
That's the one with the silver "aliens" isn't it, as you say a fever dream, it feels like a dream that I have actually watched it, but yes, I remember vividly the razor burn on the freshly shaved parts

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th December 2021, 01:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
When people say that quote i tend to be skeptical, think I will watch it over the weekend, think anything will be better than Candyman 3 imo.
I'd be curious to read your thoughts. I should have also probably mentioned that the music was impressive which seems important for a Candyman film. I'm toying with the idea of picking up Candyman 2 on UK blu-ray, haven't seen it for quite some time and although I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure that Candyman 4 doesn't contradict anything in that first sequel. Will give that Candyman 3 a miss. Like I said, I've never seen it but I've also never heard anything good about it.
Old 17th December 2021, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 16th

Virgin Witch (1972)

Two pretty girls are recruited for a modeling assignment at a large country mansion. All is not what it seems though as a witches coven lurks in the background,and aims to use the girls in their erotic rites.

Other films dealing with witchcraft such as Legend of the Witches have over the past few years been re-evaluated and been given more credit than they first received, not so Virgin Witch which is still seen as a guilty pleasure, a piece of sexploitation, rather than an acclaimed seventies horror film. Director Ray Austin gives the audience plenty of up-skirt shots and his camera comes to a halt each time it focuses on a pair of bare breasts or a pert posterior, adding to the smuttyness of the proceedings. Its these values that make Virgin Witch an offbeat, sleazy almost unsettlingly voyeuristic movie. The horror aspects to the film largely go unexplored until the last third.

The film has impressive scenes of the black arts. Quite similar to Alex Sanders pseudo documentary Secret Rites (1971) The sequences are directed with abundant glee as Ann Michelle's Christine is "taken" on the alter the rest of the coven are happily enjoying their own erotically charged rituals. Sans kit naturally.

The film itself is enjoyable enough if not actually scary or horrific, it has good production values and was filmed at the beautiful Admiral's Walk manor house near Woking, the same place Norman J Warren filmed Terror and the brilliant Satan's Slave.

The new Blu-ray from Screenbound looks lovely. Outdoor shots are very highly detailed.

/ 5

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 17th December 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 17th December 2021, 06:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This month's films so far, mostly from the HMV Premium Collection:

To Catch a Thief (1955) ★★★★
One of Hitchcock's most enjoyable capers with a lively script, stunning photography and, in Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, a wonderful leading duo.

VIPCO: The Untold Story (2019) ★★½
A reasonably interesting documentary on the notorious video label which sprang to prominence during the 'video nasty' era. This would have been better if it was a little shorter and the participants put their phones on silent during the interviews! It's one of two documentaries on the bonus disc with the Spoekies Blu-ray set from 101 Films.

Top Gun (1986) ★★★½
It's cheesy and clichéd, but I find it hugely enjoyable and the Dolby Atmos track is a notable step up from the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack from the previous Blu-ray release.

Airplane! (1980) ★★★★
this excellent spoof has aged extremely well – it's still very funny with some cracking one-liners, well-written characters, and a scenario which (aside from post-9/11 aeroplane security) hasn't aged in the last 40 years.

Pretty in Pink (1986) ★★★½
This John Hughes-scripted coming of age comedy is quite endearing with fine performances from Molly Ringwald, Harry Dean Stanton, Jon Cryer, Annie Potts, and James Spader, and assured direction by Howard Deutch. This was my first viewing – it definitely won't be my last.

The Young Master (1980) ★★★
After watching the extended and international cuts of this, I decided to watch the theatrical version with the Cantonese audio. I'm not sure which version I prefer, but it's definitely better with the Cantonese audio track. The film isn't one of Jackie Chan's best, though it has some excellent stunt work and sequences for the star to showcase his phenomenal strength and flexibility.

Ghost (1990) ★★★★
A wonderful blend of drama, comedy, romance, fantasy, and horror, with genuine chemistry between Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, though Whoopi Goldberg steals every scene in which she appears. It's a very clever and engaging film with an accessible storyline on the grieving process.

Urban Cowboy (1980) ★★½
Half the film seems to be about Bud, John Travolta's oil worker riding a mechanical bull and engaging in some form of domestic abuse, victimising his girlfriend, Sissy (Debra Winger). I didn't love this but didn't hate it either; I think I need to watch it again.

King Creole (1958) ★★★½
Similar in some ways to Rebel Without a Cause, though lacking the intensity of James Dean's performance. Instead, we have arguably Elvis Presley's best film performance – he's a believable character, the songs are good and well integrated into the narrative, and Presley is well supported by Dean Jagger, Carolyn Jones, and Walter Matthau.

They Were Expendable (1945) ★★★★½
A brilliant World War II drama about PT boats and the men crewing them. John Ford's direction is superb and the performances from the likes of Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, and Donna Reed are all top-notch.

Super Fly (1972) ★★★★
While not as famous as films like Shaft, Sweet Sweetback, or Foxy Brown, this groundbreaking blacksploitation Gordon Parks Jr. is a compelling watch with an intelligent, pulsing soundtrack from Curtis Mayfield and a fine leading performance from Ron O'Neal.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 17th December 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 17th December 2021, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
This month's films so far, all from the HMV Premium Collection:

VIPCO: The Untold Story (2019) ★★½
A reasonably interesting documentary on the notorious video label which sprang to prominence during the 'video nasty' era. This would have been better if it was a little shorter and the participants put their phones on silent during the interviews!

The Young Master (1980) ★★★
After watching the extended and international cuts of this, I decided to watch the theatrical version with the Cantonese audio. I'm not sure which version I prefer, but it's definitely better with the Cantonese audio track. The film isn't one of Jackie Chan's best, though it has some excellent stunt work and sequences for the star to showcase his phenomenal strength and flexibility.
Old 17th December 2021, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Woodchipper Massacre (1988, Jon McBride)

SOV. 3 kids are left in the care of their rather strict aunt. A nasty accident's consequences spiral wildly out of control. The sanest film I watched that night
The actors are all wooden, most of the action is off camera and the denoument was ... typical of the genre

Devil Fetus (1983, Liu Hung Chuen)

HK horror. Highly recommended is this one. If it's logic you're after though ...
A simple impulse purchase ends in the apocalypse. Top tier madness. Which leads to ....

Blood Beat (1983, Fabrice - Ange Zaphiratos)

You know when you watch something and think "this guy has seen some Bava methinks!!". Maybe it's just me???
Or out of the frying pan, into the mire ...
A family gathering should be welcoming ... shouldn't it?
See for yourselves .... I dare you

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!