Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2021, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks. I look at it as a five film take on Bond based on and inspired by one Fleming novel. I would like them to bring a bit of fun back to the franchise with the next Bond though.

Not saying i want to see Blofeld in his wheelchair being dropped down a chimney from a helicopter but yeah, a little more like old school Bond.

It was an enjoyable way to see out Boxing Day all the same.
I'm hard pushed to really pick a favourite Bond if I'm honest. Five of the actors have made some corkers and some stinkers. One (George Lazenby) just made a turd.
I think on a good day I'm still partial to Roger Moore.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
iank likes this.
Old 26th December 2021, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm hard pushed to really pick a favourite Bond if I'm honest. Five of the actors have made some corkers and some stinkers. One (George Lazenby) just made a turd.
I think on a good day I'm still partial to Roger Moore.
Haha! and Lazenby's film was the one most referenced in No Time to Die.

I love Moore as Bond too. But tonally i'd like a return to the Brosnan era. They had humour, spectacle and tried a little with the emotional aspect too.

Speaking of Brosnan. The whole missiles incoming threat at the end of NTTD was basically the pre credits sequence of Tomorrow Never Dies but nowhere near as thrilling.
Old 26th December 2021, 11:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Haha! and Lazenby's film was the one most referenced in No Time to Die.

I love Moore as Bond too. But tonally i'd like a return to the Brosnan era. They had humour, spectacle and tried a little with the emotional aspect too.

Speaking of Brosnan. The whole missiles incoming threat at the end of NTTD was basically the pre credits sequence of Tomorrow Never Dies but nowhere near as thrilling.
Ironically true. I just hate On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Tonally an utter mess, one minute we've got Bond winking at the camera the next I'm expected to buy into his emotional distress. It felt like a spoof that lacked conviction.

Old 27th December 2021, 11:24 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Ironically true. I just hate On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Tonally an utter mess, one minute we've got Bond winking at the camera the next I'm expected to buy into his emotional distress. It felt like a spoof that lacked conviction.

And yet a lot of people (including myself) consider it the best Bond movie
Old 27th December 2021, 12:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I know. Each to their own mate.
Old 27th December 2021, 01:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I'm with you, Stephen. I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best James Bond film, though I would like to spend a month watching them all in order to rank them from best to worst.

I am expecting No Time To Die to be delivered today so we can watch it as a family – none of us have seen it at the cinema.

I watched Disney's latest film, Encanto, last night and thought it was brilliant. It's visually very similar to Pixar's Coco – a film set in Mexico; this is based in Colombia – and while that was more heartfelt and with a story about death and the afterlife, this is more fantastic (the title translates as enchantment or spell) in nature and tonally similar to Moana and Frozen.

Stephanie Beatriz, probably best known as Rosa Diaz in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, is very well cast as Mirabel Madrigal, a young woman who is unusual in the family's 'Casita' because she doesn't have any magical abilities and seems to be yearning for place and purpose. The other characters are very well-rounded and with well-matched voice actors, and the sentient Casita is a wonderful location.

If you have Disney+, I highly recommend this, particularly if you have a 4K TV.

Old 27th December 2021, 02:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l300.jpg
THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (1964)

Epic movie that was a bit of a flop on it's release. The big budget is up there on the screen, with only a few model or matte shots. The massive Rome sets were built for real.
The movie, although enjoyable enough, is a plodding 3 hour affair with mostly a lot of talk. The action scenes when they come are well done and there is a good chariot race.
Old 27th December 2021, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Harlequin. 1980.

One of Robert Powell's most sinister and creepy performances I have seen as faith healer Gregory Wolfe that was influenced by Rasputin, David Hemmings plays the politician who doesn't believe what he sees and hears unless Broderick Crawford has his say. Carmen Duncan seems a bit smitten by Wolfe and son Mark Spain. Who says you need ghosts to make a supernatural horror? All you need is some good acting and a good story that can make things seem suspenseful and entertaining at the same time.

e68cad6b-a344-4562-a8ce-9b4998a4c9a5.jpg
Old 27th December 2021, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Just had a total blast watching the two and a half hour extended cut of John Landis' best film on Blu-ray at full volume.

Great performances, great songs, great action, simply a great time
Old 27th December 2021, 10:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pyewacket. 2017.

Young Leah feels isolated from her mother after the death of her father, feeling resentment Leah turns to black magic.

From the makers of The Void and The Witch which I will admit are two good horrors, this one does start off slightly as a slow burner but with Laurie Holden and Nicole Muñoz as the mother and daughter duo it does have it's entertaining moments. This doesn't really rely on jump scares but more on dark tone suspense and atmosphere with some is it real or isn't it moments.

Pyewacket-2017-Poster-2..jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!