Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
5 from 1987.

Steele Justice. Kreese as Rambo. Some funny dialogue means a rewatch is in the near future.

Stripped To Kill. Kay Lenz goes undercover to track down a maniac. Not as sleazy as it should have been.

Howling III. The highlight of the night. A charming wee oddity.

Primal Scream. Quirky they tried for, falling short of the target somewhat.

Project A 2. Jackie & co leap about the place again, not as out right bonkers as the parent flick imho.
I saw the Steele Justice Trailer many times (Due to me renting a lot of EIV Films back in the day) and along with The Big Bang, my Video Shops never had it in.
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Violent Professionals

A Cop gets fed up with playing within the law so goes undercover to track down his Boss's killer. It had a very promising start but it got rather dull in my opinion.

Beasts Of No Nation

A Boy in an unnamed country is turned into a Child Soldier by rebels led by Idris Elba. Good Film with a menacing performance by Elba but it's not the masterpiece that it was made out to be.

Tough Ones

Like Violent Professionals, a Cop fed up with the rules goes after a hunchbacked killer. I found this to be more entertaining.

Armed Response

David Carradine comes into possession of a statue that the Yakuza wishes to pass on to The Tongs. Lee Van Clief is his Father who assists him. Decent enough Action Movie, short and does the trick but not worth an upgrade if one comes along. If you can get it cheap, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Malignant

A woman experiences visions of Murders but is more real than she thinks. This is a weird one to judge. I liked it, there was plenty of gore but if the Supernatural elements were removed, then it would have been a much better Movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vp.jpg (13.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bonn.jpg (9.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg to.jpg (11.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ar.jpg (15.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (4.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default December 29th

The Tingler (1959)

A director mainly known for his infamous gimmicks at screenings of his movies, William Castle has actually made some genuinely good horror films. The House on Haunted Hill, also from 59, is one such very good horror movie, The Tingler another.

Yes there's a gimmick as some theaters in the US had seats with buzzers to give unwary viewers what they thought was an electric shock at times during the film but forget that, according to sources this shock tactic for The Tingler was said to be a rare occurrence.

Starring Vincent Price as a pathologist who discovers that the power of fear in the human body if not released by screaming actually creates a large prawn like creature attached to the spine, which Price calls the Tingler, that kills by crushing the human backbone and all surrounding organs.

Certainly it sounds tremendously daft but thanks to a clever script and a great straight performance by Price it genuinely works and is a fun filled film. One scene is absolutely stunning, especially in a movie shot in black and white. As one woman is being scared to death in a bathroom a crimson blood red hand thrusts out of the water and we see the water is actually bright red blood. It works brilliantly, almost an intrusion of deep red in a totally monochrome film. Once seen, never forgotten.

For whatever reason i'd not seen The Tingler before until watching it via the Indicator Blu-ray and i absolutely loved it.

/ 5
Old 4th January 2022, 06:04 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Damnation Alley. 1977.

Survivors from a Air Base after a nuclear war travel the desert of California looking for survivors.

20th Century Fox had high hopes that this would be bigger than Star Wars...what film became a big hit between these two movies, Jan-Michael Vincent along with George Peppard, Paul Winfield and Kip Niven play the survivors and drive about in home made armored cars. The visual effects do look cheap even with scorpions made to look big and masses of killer cockroaches, this film does have it's flaws but decent enough to enjoy
That's one I saw at the cinema when it first came out

I saw it in a real fleapit cinema in Winchester, where cockroaches were part of the furniture!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th January 2022, 08:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
That's one I saw at the cinema when it first came out

I saw it in a real fleapit cinema in Winchester, where cockroaches were part of the furniture!
I would have ran out of there, i hate cockroaches
Old 4th January 2022, 09:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

the-poseidon-adventure-uk-british-quad-1972-original-film-poster-2114-p.jpg
THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972)

The movie is up there with my all time greats. This is an excellent film and I always try to watch it on New Years Eve when the picture is set.
It's crazy to think that the movie was almost never made as FOX pulled out of the finance and Irwin Allen had to borrow the money to kick start the picture again. I remember when the film came out, but never got to see it at the cinema. I really wish I could see it on the big screen.
Old 4th January 2022, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Catching up ....

The Rescue (1988)

Insanely daft actioner from the height of the Cold War. The sheer gall of this spectacle is mind boggling.

Eat The Rich (1987)

British satire. When a lowly waiter is wronged, revenge is first on the menu!! I've grown to love this one tbh. Some could say it was more clairvoyant than first thought ahem .... Lemmy has fun as a right hand man etc.

Parasite (1982)

The one with Demi Moore. At the arse end of the post apocalypse, a scientist looks for answers, what he finds ... isn't friendly. Slack pacing left me unimpressed here.

Greenland (2020)

Gerard Butlers his way to safety in this sub 2012 dreck that is neither as funny as Geostorm nor as hilarious as Hunter Killer.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

It had to be done. The girl is amazing and it seemed to be better paced than the first one. Our intrepid reporter is on the case yet again. His methods are ... unorthodox to say the least ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th January 2022, 06:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Over the hols I watched......

NIGHT OF THE DEMON
Severin's Blu Ray absolutely smashes every release previous to this.
It's now possible to see exactly what's going on in every night scene.
Yeah the acting's crap,the budget was 10 dollars,but the effects still hit the spot.A midnight movie classic.
Just a pity Severin couldn't get a hold of Rituals.

PHANTOM OF THE MALL-ERIC'S REVENGE
Great little take on Phantom of the Opera with some nice inventive deaths.
Arrow's disc looks the biz.

STAGEFRIGHT
Soavi's debut film is well worth a revisit,especially in this Shameless restoration.It looks fantastic.
How many other slashers have a giant owl as a psycho?

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN
There's a problem with the 4k colouring apparently,so I watched the BD disc which is included instead.
A fleapit classic,which is far more entertaining than Blood For Dracula,it's great to see this finally getting the treatment it deserves.
Can't see anyone topping VS's package.
Expensive,but worth EVERY penny.

STEEL AND LACE
An interesting rape 'n' revenge flick with a twist that the victim is turned into a cyborg by her NASA scientist brother.
Sleazy Wall Street-type villains make for satisfying slaughter-fodder.
Recommended.

WOLFEN
A film I never tire of,I bought a nice Spanish release with reversible artwork.
A classic eco horror thriller.Apparently Dustin Hoffman was interested in playing Dewey Wilson,but Wadleigh insisted on Albert Finney.
Can't imagine anyone else in the role tbh....

NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT
Christopher Lee,Peter Cushing and Patrick Allen fight alien radioactive blobs which don't show up to the finale,so it's testament to the fine actors involved that they keep your attention for 75 minutes of the running time.

CITY OF THE DEAD
Classic creepy atmospheric film from John Llewllyn Moxey about witchcraft revenge in a Massachusetts town.
Interestingly,the film takes a leaf from Psycho's book by killing off what appears to be the main character halfway through...
Brilliant.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th January 2022, 06:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Catching up ...

Greenland (2020)

Gerard Butlers his way to safety in this sub 2012 dreck that is neither as funny as Geostorm nor as hilarious as Hunter Killer.

Aye I watched this on Netflix a few weeks ago......pure......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (3.4 KB, 6 views)
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th January 2022, 07:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default December 30th

The Prey (1983)

A minor slasher entry that played out like a sister film to The Legend of Boggy Creek thanks to a similar soporific atmosphere created by it's almost travelogue like nature and endless shots of critters in the woods as well as beautiful countryside. That eerie ambiance is enhanced by the first half hour or so seeming like the viewer is on the periphery of things. Snippets of conversation are heard but nothing more as the camera rolls along the group of six happy campers all chatting among themselves. It's as if it weren't actually scripted... which it probably wasn't.

It takes an age for anything slashery to happen and we never see the killer until the final moments. When we do he looks very similar to an unmasked Vorhees. Thankfully his kills are bloodier than Vorhees R-rated splatter.

And then there's the wide mouthed frog tale and the greatest advert for cucumber sandwiches i've ever seen...

The Prey certainly isn't your common or garden slasher but it is different enough and hypnotic enough to hold the attention, or put you in a trance. Whichever works best really.

/ 5

The Arrow Blu-ray looks sensational.

Like this? Share it using the links below!