Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2022, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dark Places. 1974.

This was a blind watch for me so had no idea what to expect even with a strong cast of Christopher Lee, Joan Collins, Herbert Lom and Robert Hardy, from the plot it seems like a haunted house but appears to be more psychological chiller rather than pure horror. Robert hardy plays a duel role of the new and previous Gothic style mansion owner who seems to live the past and present nightmare.

Christopher Lee and Joan Collins play brother and sister who want the hidden treasure that is within the house as well as shady solicitor Herbert Lom. There is quite a good build up of suspense that seems to play out slowly but it's really not on the edge of your seat, there is a good dark background score. Not sure if this was released as feature film or a made for T.V. film.

poster-boy%2Bdd.jpg
Old 7th January 2022, 08:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Glad it's not just me with Mindwarp. It really felt like something i should enjoy but couldn't get into it at all. Too much arsing around in caves like you say.
Trust me Dem,Last Matinee-you'll enjoy it.
Yeah the VS disc is expensive-so pick up the Arrow disc instead-it's virtually identical.

Tell you what-if you don't enjoy it-I'll buy it from you or trade you it.

Yeah Mindwarp-Couldn't get into it either.

Their Eco-horror double bill was much more enjoyable along with Prophecy.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th January 2022, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Dead Zone. 1983.

Combine a piece of work from Stephen King, with a great director David Cronenberg and brilliant actor Christopher Walken and you get this little piece of a shocker.

Always found the book to be a bit more exciting and edge of your seat read, but the film is great except for the rushed ending. Tom Skerritt plays the Castle Rock sheriff who wants Walken psychic abilities to help find a serial killer that's targeting his small town. Martin Sheen plays the up and coming politician who may want to start something new and be seen as the hero. Herbert Lom plays the doctor who looks into the ability and may give out the wrong answers but he is always great to watch.

This is not a horror as such, it is more psychological chiller, there is no jump scares but one good suicide scene that can be seen as grotesque and one or two scenes that may be upsetting as they involve innocent children. It's Walken's acting that make you appeal to his character as he is given a ability he didn't want and unsure whether he wants to use it for the good of his nature. Another one I forgot that was set during winter time.

Attachment 238500
A bonafide King classic.
It's up there with The Shining,Stand By Me,Shawshank and Salem's lot.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th January 2022, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Trust me Dem,Last Matinee-you'll enjoy it.
Yeah the VS disc is expensive-so pick up the Arrow disc instead-it's virtually identical.

Tell you what-if you don't enjoy it-I'll buy it from you or trade you it.

Yeah Mindwarp-Couldn't get into it either.

Their Eco-horror double bill was much more enjoyable along with Prophecy.
Haha! Deal!

Still need to pick up that eco-horror set - Nightwing and Shadow of the ... can't remember what. But it does sound good.

I only saw Prophecy again just a few days prior to my dvd player dying so never picked that one up.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th January 2022, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

If any movie captures the 80s it's this one. But at times it feels more like a extended music video or adverts for motorcycles than a film. It also boasts a homoerotic under tones with a volley ball match.

While none of the hobbit films are a patch on Lotr it's still a enjoyable slice of fantasy granted it really should of been two movies than three and we have a little too much padding out.

Now watching .

Followed by.

Old 8th January 2022, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mako: The Jaws Of Death. 1976.

Richard Jaekel can communicate with sharks via a telepathic link and uses them hunt hunt poachers and saving them. This is like a combination of Willard meets Jaws but little great acting and a club owner trying to pimp out his wife to the protagonist to join him. Think the producers may have wanted Donald Pleasance for this film, either he wasn't available or not interested and hired a look a like budget version of him, decent to help pass time away.

220px-Mako-the-jaws-of-death-movie-poster.jpg
Old 8th January 2022, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mako: The Jaws Of Death. 1976.

Richard Jaekel can communicate with sharks via a telepathic link and uses them hunt hunt poachers and saving them. This is like a combination of Willard meets Jaws but little great acting and a club owner trying to pimp out his wife to the protagonist to join him. Think the producers may have wanted Donald Pleasance for this film, either he wasn't available or not interested and hired a look a like budget version of him, decent to help pass time away.

Attachment 238529
Did you watch this via the Arrow box set?

Just wondered if you thought the set was worth picking up as i haven't seen any of the films.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 8th January 2022, 11:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you watch this via the Arrow box set?

Just wondered if you thought the set was worth picking up as i haven't seen any of the films.
Nah Dem watched via YouTube
Old 9th January 2022, 10:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Student Bodies (1981, Mickey Rose)

And where's this been all my life??

Either I had thought I had seen it amongst the slew of horror spoofs and parodies we've all trudged through in the past, but easily one of the better efforts, almost to Airplane! standards in fact ... in the demon's humble opinion.
Stalk and slash is the game, satire be thine name etc.
Recommended. To the one other person whom hasn't seen it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th January 2022, 10:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just Before Dawn (1981, Jeff Lieberman)

A wildly different film than the one I remembered from the vhs days. Having seen more of his work in the interim, it fits more in with the regional horror vibe I'va always gravitated towards.
Essentially a TCM clone, it makes the most of the situation (stupid outsiders blithely enter foreign territory etc). George Kennedy himself tells them they are all dooooomed. Do they listen? Case closed.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!