Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2022, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Ive lost count on how many cotc sequels etc there is,
Around 11 if you count the remake and the recent One 2019-2020.

Remake 2009 it was made for tv.
It's only 3.8 on Imbd.

Will avoid both this and the 2020 version, don't seem to appeal to me
Old 10th January 2022, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Will avoid both this and the 2020 version, don't seem to appeal to me
Wish I had avoided it, lol

Think you're doing the right thing there.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 10th January 2022, 11:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Wish I had avoided it, lol

Think you're doing the right thing there.
For once I'm making a smart choice
Old 11th January 2022, 12:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoyable if dated and slow by today's standards and a lot of unnecessary scenes with one of the characters girlfriend who is very unlikable , the story of a mine sweeper in ww2 who gets a new captain (Bogart) who is very by the book but is out of his depth commanding a ship and seems a quite unhinged. So the crew mutiny when he puts the ship in danger. Look out for Lee Marvin in a early role.

First viewing which will get many more, Spacey gives a Oscar worthy performance as a man who appears if out of no where in grand central station and is promptly taking to a psychiatric institute as he believes he is a alien called Prot from the planet K-pax, a inspiring tale that deals with mental illness and how someone of very high intellect can be seen by some as being mentally ill. Keeps you guessing right till the end of he is from K-pax or does indeed is mentally ill.

For me he is from K-pax but others might come too a different conclusion. Great performances all round especially from Spacey as already said but of course now he will be remembered more being unable to keep his little man in his pants than a good actor! Also look out for Aroun Paul in a early role.
Old 11th January 2022, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Troll 2.

I have put my other half through the movie Witchery, and got the usual "you don't buy some weird shite and watch it". I don't think she will forgive me for this one as she saw the first 15 minutes then decided to stand up, give the strangest look with the shake of her head and leave me alone. At least I got peace and quiet watch it. Will check out the documentary about it.

81psLNyoLJL._RI_.jpg
Old 12th January 2022, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Queen Of Spades (2021, Patrick White)

Babysitting. A staple with horror flicks, yes?
Well get out that register, because someone needs reeducating ... ahem.
Stealing the colour palette from The Ring and a rather familiar trope from ... elsewhere, this rather flat, generic "scary" movie did have a rather hamusing final image, so there was that.
Apparently a remake of a Russian flick. See that instead. This isn't as diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire as the Martyrs redo, but it's close

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th January 2022, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Circus of Horrors (1960)

A terrific British horror film that stars the mighty Anton Diffring as a sadistic plastic surgeon hiding out in Donald Pleasence's French circus following a botched operation. He quickly takes over the circus when Pleasence is mauled to death by a bear (Diffring just stands there and watches with a smirk on his face) and he populates the place with facially disfigured thieves, murderers and prostitutes before offing them in gory but crowd pleasing accidents in the circus ring when they attempt to leave his employ.

Classed as part of the Anglo-Amalgamated 'Sadian trilogy' along with the earlier Horrors of the Black Museum (1959) and Peeping Tom (1960) due to it's emphasis on cruelty and gore rather than the usual Gothic chills of the time. The film is quite shocking. Some of the deaths are graphic, in particular Vanda Hudson's in the knife throwing act whilst other murders are suspenseful, Remburg's demise is particularly memorable. The film has a sort of giallo feel to it at times perhaps helped by Conrad Phillips' police inspector posing as a reporter telling Diffring that he "wasn't' writing a yellow thriller".

Circus of Horrors tends to go under the radar when discussing horror cinema of the period when in all honesty it should go down as a classic of sadistic brutality in macabre Grand Guignol style.

The recent StudioCanal dvd looks so good i decided not to upgrade it to Blu-ray. Really isn't necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circus_of_horrors_UKquad (Small).jpg (85.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th January 2022, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Queen Of Spades (2021, Patrick White)

Babysitting. A staple with horror flicks, yes?
Well get out that register, because someone needs reeducating ... ahem.
Stealing the colour palette from The Ring and a rather familiar trope from ... elsewhere, this rather flat, generic "scary" movie did have a rather hamusing final image, so there was that.
Apparently a remake of a Russian flick. See that instead. This isn't as diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire as the Martyrs redo, but it's close
The original Queen of Spades is excellent.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th January 2022, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Troll 2.

I have put my other half through the movie Witchery, and got the usual "you don't buy some weird shite and watch it". I don't think she will forgive me for this one as she saw the first 15 minutes then decided to stand up, give the strangest look with the shake of her head and leave me alone. At least I got peace and quiet watch it. Will check out the documentary about it.

Attachment 238586
She clearly has no taste in what 80's Italian producers/directors have to offer Personally I rather like it. Saw you got around to watching the Doc, very entertaining and the guy really loves being 'cult' famous, having said that though, I'm glad he has a stable career with his dentistry

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th January 2022, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
She clearly has no taste in what 80's Italian producers/directors have to offer Personally I rather like it. Saw you got around to watching the Doc, very entertaining and the guy really loves being 'cult' famous, having said that though, I'm glad he has a stable career with his dentistry
Took me ages for her to appreciate Dario, but Claudio Fragrasso will be a challenge, George Hardy is up for Troll 3, Just a shame Margo Prey's life didn't go great.

Like this? Share it using the links below!