Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2022, 11:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600fff.jpg
ROCKY (1976)

Excellent movie. It's great to return to this first film but it makes it more apparent how distant from this the later movies have become.
I really enjoyed watching this through again. I had not seen the movie in ages and it is well deserving of it's Academy Awards.

carry_on_up_the_jungle_UKquad.jpg
CARRY ON UP THE JUNGLE (1970)

The usual 'Carry On' antics, full of saucy postcard humour and double meanings. On a mention of this movie, it is Valerie Leon that usually first comes to mind as leader of the Lubby-Dubby tribe.
I watched this movie from my collection. I can't remember the last time this was shown on TV. Due to content I would be suprised if it is ever shown again.
Old 19th January 2022, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

No review because I'm bad at them, but I watched Ghostbusters Afterlife last night and was pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed it. Fun and heartfelt.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th January 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Shock (1977)

I've never really got on with Shock. It's always felt lacking and the worst of director Mario Bava's output that i've seen, well that or the travesty that is Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966). I really wasn't fussed if i ever saw Bava's penultimate film again.

Last night i became inclined to give it another go, perhaps due to Arrow's new Blu-ray creeping into my subconscious, anyway, i really dug it this time round. Even David Colin jr as the child Marco, who at times resembles a certain P.Bark esquire with his eyes and mouth, didn't grate on me. Meanwhile Daria Nicolodi was superb, i even think it may be her best acting gig, especially the scenes towards the finale where she's clearly under duress from the ever more violent supernatural occurrences.

Although a slo-burn film for the first hour Bava ensures suspense slowly builds until the frenetic supernatural shit starts to really hit the fan as the film veers into something close to Black Cat territory with the possibility of something behind the cellar wall, and then comes the hallucinatory er' shock ending which i'd totally forgotten about.

So from not really being arsed about ever seeing Shock again, i now quite fancy getting the Blu-ray. Such is life.
Old 19th January 2022, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm RaVager. 2016.

Thought I'd give this another chance, starts off with Reggie wondering the desert with his Four Barrel Shotgun, looking like he has faced a rabid animal that went nuts on his Ice Cream vendor outfit, wondering the desert ,fighting off the sphere's and going to alternate universe where he has dementia and The Tall Man is only a imagination in his mind. This did have potential and noticing more little bits that I missed the first time, didn't really quite grasp it the second time but does have a updated theme by Christopher L. Stone.

406x600_57.jpg
Old 19th January 2022, 08:15 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Shock (1977)

I've never really got on with Shock. It's always felt lacking and the worst of director Mario Bava's output that i've seen, well that or the travesty that is Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966). I really wasn't fussed if i ever saw Bava's penultimate film again.

Last night i became inclined to give it another go, perhaps due to Arrow's new Blu-ray creeping into my subconscious, anyway, i really dug it this time round. Even David Colin jr as the child Marco, who at times resembles a certain P.Bark esquire with his eyes and mouth, didn't grate on me. Meanwhile Daria Nicolodi was superb, i even think it may be her best acting gig, especially the scenes towards the finale where she's clearly under duress from the ever more violent supernatural occurrences.

Although a slo-burn film for the first hour Bava ensures suspense slowly builds until the frenetic supernatural shit starts to really hit the fan as the film veers into something close to Black Cat territory with the possibility of something behind the cellar wall, and then comes the hallucinatory er' shock ending which i'd totally forgotten about.

So from not really being arsed about ever seeing Shock again, i now quite fancy getting the Blu-ray. Such is life.
I've just bought the Arrow Blu ray. I was watching through the remainder of my video tapes over Xmas, Shock was one of them and I agree that it is a fine performance by Daria Nicolodi, despite the (relative) poor picture/sound quality. I'm more inclined to slow burn films these days so the gradual unfolding is fine. Good score too.
Old 19th January 2022, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran

Weird, I just put the disc in the player, first time watch for me!
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.

Old 19th January 2022, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alison's Birthday. 1981.

A nice little chiller from Australia, it is low budget so don't expect it to be brilliant, it can be slow but does work and manages to keep the tense going. Centred around a girl called Alison who her friends get her to do a Ouija Board and a message comes through about her 19th Birthday. Involving satanic/devil worshippers and a ancient Celtic druid ceremony, this is something we have seen before and mentioned in a Hammer Horror movie but the actors do put in some good solid performances to keep us glued as the plot unfolds.

MV5BNWFlNjg3ODUtNTA5Yi00ZjBkLWE1ZmItNzA1OWRiZjI3NGI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th January 2022, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eyes Of Fire. 1983.

A preacher accused of adultery...never thought i'd see that,is chased out of a small town with followers and take refuge in woods that inhabit the spirits of Native Americans and they aren't too happy about that. First time seeing this and found it on Shudder, Dennis Lipscomb, (the guy who woke up the President in Under Seige or George from Retribution) plays the preacher who believes the spirits are giving him a offering, your wrong there mate.

This was like the natives getting revenge for their killings and taking it out on those who cross their paths, this had me intrigued even with a little girl doing the voice over with narration but towards the end it seemed to weaken out to the point of disappointment was there, maybe a re-watch at some point.

MV5BZTFmNjNhMTktMTc0YS00MDI4LTk4NDQtZmI2MjFlYmEzYmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th January 2022, 09:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I've just bought the Arrow Blu ray. I was watching through the remainder of my video tapes over Xmas, Shock was one of them and I agree that it is a fine performance by Daria Nicolodi, despite the (relative) poor picture/sound quality. I'm more inclined to slow burn films these days so the gradual unfolding is fine. Good score too.
Not 100% sure if I’ve seen this this,
But I’ve gone down that route where I’m watching more and more slow burners over most stuff these days

Vvitch
Midnight mass
Archive 81
Midsommar
The lighthouse
Blackcoats daughter
Fanny lye deliver’d

And many more are slow burners that I’ve enjoyed .
Old 20th January 2022, 12:10 PM
Cult Veteran

I enjoyed Shock last night, that kid was a freak before any of the weird stuff happened, gives Bob a run for his money "I've got to kill you mummy" no wonder she went crazy

Like this? Share it using the links below!