Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2022, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shocking Dark. 1989.

Venice is polluted in the near future, researchers go missing, a small squad is sent in to find out what happened and find themselves being chased by murderous creatures.

Why did I think this was a Aliens knock-off...oh wait it is a Aliens knock-off, almost word for word and scene by scene but in a different order. Bruno Mattei must have been given the script, knew what would be the outcome and paid a ton of money. The acting is what you would expect it be, I'm trying to decide who has the annoying scream Bob from House By The Cemetery or Samantha in this...tough choice. The "Alien" creatures are decently made but not spectacular, thankfully this was a YouTube freebie film.

shockingdark.jpg
Old 6th February 2022, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Bloody Birthday. Useful Facts You Learn From Horror Films, No #24131: If a child is born during a solar eclipse, they are probably going to be a murderous psychopath. That's the case in this early 80s slasher horror, also an entry in the relatively rare "killer kids" subgenre, where a fluke of birth seems to be the only motive three unrelated little brats have for going psycho around their birthday and launching a killing spree targeting schoolmates, teachers, relatives and anyone else they happen to come across. It's an entertaining and occasionally creepy bit of schlock, with some (intentionally?) funny moments. I lolled at the quick cuts from the little girl offing another family member to her fake sobbing at the latest funeral.
Old 7th February 2022, 07:33 AM
Cult Addict

The Bloody Judge

The_Bloody_Judge_1024x1024.jpg

Just watched the version shown on Talking Pictures on Friday and can report that it was one of the more explicit euro composite cuts.

Previously i owned the original Uk Redemption VHS at one point and when i watched it it seemed very tame and i was underwhelmed, this is the first time watching the longer version.

Bloody-Judge-with-Christopher-Lee.jpeg

I looked it up and the VHS i had was 89 minutes long and featured clothed versions of many scenes.

The version shown ran 110 mins including about 3 adverts. So a fair bit longer than the version I originally watched.

This cut has a fair bit of nudity and some bloody torture scenes and features a few moments of foreign language with subs, so is obviously a reconstructed version.

sw24lv5a6gLi9z3GX0clVDGyooo.jpeg

Anyway it was a lot better than I remembered and is pretty impressive for a Franco film, battles scenes and all, Christopher Lee is good as the titular Judge and most of the performances are pretty decent, with Maria Rohm standing out as the main focus of the story.

I enjoyed it. 7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 7th February 2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 7th February 2022, 09:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The current UK dvd version from mediumrare is the 102 min uncut version it’s only a fiver on Amazon!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th February 2022, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Damnation Alley (1977)

Wow! This was utter rubbish. For a studio production the effects were awful seemingly utilising primitive colour separation overlay techniques that looked worse than the very worst of seventies Doctor Who examples.

Not only that, star, George Peppard seemed to be doing a horrendous slug balancing act on his top lip.

Studio head Alan Ladd, Jr. directed funding from this film onto the lower budgeted Star Wars. He clearly saw sense!

Just checked. Cex will give me either a fiver cash or £8 store credit for this.

See ya Damnation Alley! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 8th February 2022, 01:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It always underwhelmed. Hug!

I've watched a few things, and once I've recovered, I'll set it all down. Catharsis and all that. One quickie ....

Revamped (2007, Jeff Rector)

A man takes drastic action in response to ... an unusual situation. What transpires is a laugh riot. Many familiar faces litter the landscape, lightening the load of the viewer, the jewel being Billy Drago's turn. A hoot. If it was meant to be a comedy, even betterer!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th February 2022, 02:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Weasels Rip My Flesh (1979, Nathan H Schiff)

His debut. A pair of brothers fall foul of their curiosity. Seeing as the shoreline path is yet again featured in this, it must be within walking distance of his house surely
Just as gloopy and crazed as the rest of his work, so he set his stall out with confidence.

Trees 2: Root Of All Evil (2004, Michael Pleckaitis)

Killer tree flick. Another subgenre! As daft as it sounds. Xmas flick and all! New tradition!!

Geek Maggot Bingo (1983, Nick Zedd)

Notorious and a tad dull this one was. Richard Hell pops up in this tale of alienated clods in the big apple. Not as much fun as Chester R Turner's stuff imho.

Tough Guys Don't Dance (1987, Norman Mailer)

A Cannon film you say? Yes please. Mailer hard boils everything in this riotous tale of deceit and deception. Based on his own novel, every word of which he seems to have crammed into this , it was worth the wait, I remember the trailer vividly due to a particular acid trip and always wanted to see it. O'Neal really goes for it, whilst also resembling a walking corpse.

Maniac Killer (1987, Andreas Bianchi)

A lot of folk want answers in this wacky tale of cults and cooze. The dubbing must take some of the blame here, as some "characterisations" lead me to repeated fits of laughter. I endeavour to watch it sober ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 8th February 2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 8th February 2022, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City

As much as I liked the previous Resident Evil movies, this seemed to be intriguing with the trailer and where it would go with this story involving Spencers Mansion. Like the game it never really gives how the virus escapes, every one slowly changing and then the shit hits the fan. The interior of the mansion and the police station is exactly like from the games, kudos to the set designers, the acting isn't great but doesn't get boring either. Worth a glance or two.

residentevilraccooncity_onesheet_1400x2100_est.jpg
Old 8th February 2022, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City

As much as I liked the previous Resident Evil movies, this seemed to be intriguing with the trailer and where it would go with this story involving Spencers Mansion. Like the game it never really gives how the virus escapes, every one slowly changing and then the shit hits the fan. The interior of the mansion and the police station is exactly like from the games, kudos to the set designers, the acting isn't great but doesn't get boring either. Worth a glance or two.

Attachment 238991
Hmm! 'Worth a glance' is hardly whetting my appetite.
Old 8th February 2022, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran

I started watching it last night and turned it off after about 15 mins, it's VERY dark and I either wasn't in the right mood or it was incredibly dull, but it was still in the flashback bit, Claire & Chris still young kids in an orphanage. I might try again later!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!