Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2022, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Arena

In Space there is an intergalactic fighting competition in which no human has won in 50 years. Quite a novel concept but not much fighting. Still worth a look though.

The Founder

Michael Keaton is a Salesman who comes across what is the 1st McDonalds Restaurant and convinces the owners to start franchising it out. However things don't turn out well in the end. Not bad and I believe that the film tries to tell both sides of the story and that both sides had relevant points.

The Martian

Excellent Film which sees Matt Damon stranded on Mars and his attempts to survive and get back to Earth. This has a all star cast and what helps it out was the fact there was wit and humor as well as a good Soundtrack. This could have easily been another serious Sci-Fi Film.

Wrong Turn

The 2003 version which sees a group of people get stranded in The Woods but end up being hunted by Mountain Men. Some nice gore and it's shorter than I remembered. There was a annoying woman in it however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (8.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wt.jpg (10.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th February 2022, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Arena

In Space there is an intergalactic fighting competition in which no human has won in 50 years. Quite a novel concept but not much fighting. Still worth a look though.

The Founder

Michael Keaton is a Salesman who comes across what is the 1st McDonalds Restaurant and convinces the owners to start franchising it out. However things don't turn out well in the end. Not bad and I believe that the film tries to tell both sides of the story and that both sides had relevant points.

The Martian

Excellent Film which sees Matt Damon stranded on Mars and his attempts to survive and get back to Earth. This has a all star cast and what helps it out was the fact there was wit and humor as well as a good Soundtrack. This could have easily been another serious Sci-Fi Film.

Wrong Turn

The 2003 version which sees a group of people get stranded in The Woods but end up being hunted by Mountain Men. Some nice gore and it's shorter than I remembered. There was a annoying woman in it however.
Well at least it was only one annoying person unlike the remake/reboot which they where all horrible and just couldn't wait for them to dying in the most painful and gruesome ways possible.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 9th February 2022, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Well at least it was only one annoying person unlike the remake/reboot which they where all horrible and just couldn't wait for them to dying in the most painful and gruesome ways possible.
You weren't the only who was hoping that they would all die quickly
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 9th February 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I don't dislike it, but personally I found the much-maligned European Vacation much funnier.
I love the first three. Christmas Vacation for some reason does have a certain something extra. Bit more heart.
The Vegas one however was toss.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 9th February 2022, 11:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I love the first three. Christmas Vacation for some reason does have a certain something extra. Bit more heart.
The Vegas one however was toss.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
The recent Vacation for me was head and shoulders above any of the others bar Christmas Vacation. I positively howled with laughter the two times i've seen it.
Old 10th February 2022, 01:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the new Dune film. Surprisingly, I have to say that it's incredibly boring, not even interesting on a visual level. And I was so sure that this would be a safe purchase. I'm not sure how the excellent Blade Runner 2049 tanked yet Dune was so successful amongst critics and audiences.

Villeneuve's Dune fight scene moments are flat and tremendously unexciting and Stellan Skarsgard's Baron Harkonnen just seems to be a clone of Marlon Brando performances. I should probably mention that Once Upon A Time In The West is my favourite film to show that I'm not necessarily opposed to slower movies.

I would much rather rewatch the flawed Lynch adaption than this newer version. I actually think this is the most boring big budget film that I have ever seen. And it was a terrible blind buy.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:18 PM
Cult Veteran

I've watched Dune three times since it came out, I think it looks gorgeous and spectacular! Like the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" everyone has differing opinions which makes things interesting!

Funny though, the last time I watched it was with my friends over Christmas and they hated it. Especially Rebecca Fergusson's mumblecore performance.

I'm going to pick up the UHD as soon as it drops into a multibuy offer as I'm not planning to watch it again in the next month or so, therefore paying £25 over £15 is ludicrous, even for me and my spending ways

/ 5 for me

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th February 2022, 02:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've watched Dune three times since it came out, I think it looks gorgeous and spectacular! Like the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" everyone has differing opinions which makes things interesting!

Funny though, the last time I watched it was with my friends over Christmas and they hated it. Especially Rebecca Fergusson's mumblecore performance.

I'm going to pick up the UHD as soon as it drops into a multibuy offer as I'm not planning to watch it again in the next month or so, therefore paying £25 over £15 is ludicrous, even for me and my spending ways

/ 5 for me
I side with your friends. I didn't even like the visual effects for the fighting shields!
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:39 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I side with your friends. I didn't even like the visual effects for the fighting shields!
I did want to show them the Lynch film but I think any ideas of Dune had out-stayed their welcome I do wish they read the book though...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th February 2022, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Another one to strike from the 'to buy' list.

If someone could just say Ghostbusters Afterlife sucked that would put an end to the new release buying list once and for all.

GB:A was the least interesting to me anyway as although i have the first tow on Blu i'm not the biggest fan of the films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!