Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2022, 02:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I did want to show them the Lynch film but I think any ideas of Dune had out-stayed their welcome I do wish they read the book though...
I do rate the spice diver fan edit of Lynch's Dune. I've seen it on YouTube and it's a big improvement. As regards the book, I tried reading it as a teenager but found it to be a bit of a slog and moved onto something else (hangs head in shame).
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another one to strike from the 'to buy' list.

If someone could just say Ghostbusters Afterlife sucked that would put an end to the new release buying list once and for all.

GB:A was the least interesting to me anyway as although i have the first tow on Blu i'm not the biggest fan of the films.
Afterlife is fun. Treads an interesting line between being an independent film and a 'summer blockbuster.' Nothing game changing but enjoyable enough.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Afterlife is fun. Treads an interesting line between being an independent film and a 'summer blockbuster.' Nothing game changing but enjoyable enough.
Being about kids in what is essentially an 80's film always brings The G**nies to mind which is enough to completely put me off.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Being about kids in what is essentially an 80's film always brings The G**nies to mind which is enough to completely put me off.
If you don't like The Goonies, then no, I wouldn't recommend picking up Afterlife.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th February 2022, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

All the time watching it (Ghostbusters) I was thinking Demdike will hate this being a miserable git it's a shame because it really is a fun film

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th February 2022, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dragnet. 1987.

Straight by the book Sergeant Joe Friday is partnered with a laid back Pep Streebek and try solve unexplained crimes and a attempt kidnapping.

Dan Arkroyd stars as the straight face by the book Friday while Tom Hanks plays the easy going Streebek who tries to get his new partner to be more like him and introduces him to the place where they serve good coffee...a stripper bar. Late Christopher Plummer plays the T.V. minister who also has his own agenda on crime and leads his followers of pagans. Dabney Coleman plays the publisher of magazines in a homage to Hugh Hefner. This does have some comedy provided by Hanks but just a shame Arkroyd didn't write in much comedy for himself except some facial expressions still entertaining.

p10135_p_v8_ai.jpg
Old 10th February 2022, 07:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I do rate the spice diver fan edit of Lynch's Dune. I've seen it on YouTube and it's a big improvement. As regards the book, I tried reading it as a teenager but found it to be a bit of a slog and moved onto something else (hangs head in shame).
Exactly the same on both counts, I've always liked Lynch's version but can see why it would be confusing to some, the Spicediver fan cut really adds to, explains and enhances the original version, just wish it could be legally released as Lynch is never going back to it.

I also read about a hundred pages of the book and never finished it.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th February 2022, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Defender. 1994.

One of Jet Li's films that looks like it was influenced by the 1992 film The Bodyguard, which was originally titled The Bodyguard From Beijing that comes with all the out of placed bad dubbing, this combines martial arts and gun shooting which is a first for Li to combine with. The plot is easy a spoiled woman who was a witness to a killing is assigned a bodyguard and becomes a major pain in the ass and slowly becomes a friendly person. The fight scenes were decently choreographed and some comedy elements added in.

e_cover.jpg
Old 11th February 2022, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Voice From The Stone. 2017.

A nurse takes a job to help with a young mute boy Jacob and thinks there is something going on within the house.

The premise of the film is something we have seen before but set in Tuscany and has a sinister Gothic mansion that seems to harbour a secret within the walls. Emilia Clarke plays the young nurse hired by Marton Csokas to care for his mute son who has never spoken since his mother's death played by Edward Dring. This was a very slow burner that seems to have a good direction with cinematography, perfect atmosphere setting but just falls flat towards the end that has certainly been done before.

voicefromthestone-s.jpg
Old 11th February 2022, 03:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

V/H/S/ 94. 2021

A S.W.A.T. team raid a warehouse and find some tapes that a sinister cult have pre-recorded.

Storm Drain.
A small American town reports of a creature living in the sewers, a news reporter and a cameraman try to to uncover what is actually been seen by some residents.

The Wake
A funeral home assistant is working late during a storm and feels that something is wrong with the body in the coffin.

The Subject.
A doctor is kidnapping people and doing experiments on them only for a S.W.A.T. team to take him down unaware something else is coming to life and hunt them down.

The Terror.
A group of hunters are preparing to go on the biggest hunt only to fall foul to something else they have captured.

The first two films were decent and something new, V/H/S/ Viral segments were ok apart from the bunch of people trying to find a ice cream van on the loose that made no sense what so ever to me. I been hesitant to watch this, The Storm Drain Segment has almost the same ending as a classic 80s film. The Terror almost feels like the creatures have the same effects from Blade II. The Wake was more tense and felt like it was supposed to be on the premise of the occult. The Subject even though it seemed to drag on a bit has to be the best segment out of this film, will give the makers credit for the blood and gore effects.

VHS_94_poster.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!