Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2022, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think it’s just the Blu-ray equivalent to messages etched into the run-out of a record, just a bit of fun to see a bit of text about the film as you take the box out of the case.
There seems to be illustrations as well. Looks like Bigfoot hands or something.
Old 26th February 2022, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran

Just had another look, it is the hands from the main illustration. A nice touch.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th February 2022, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Just had another look, it is the hands from the main illustration. A nice touch.
It would have been had they folded out but as it is it's pretty pointless.
Old 27th February 2022, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Keep My Grave Open. 1977.

Another independent film from director S.F. Brownrigg, which seems to deal with unbalancing of the mind mixed with schizophrenia, Camilla Carr plays the lead of the unbalanced woman living in isolation along with her brother Stephen Tobolowsky (yes this guy did have hair at one point) in his first film. Brownrigg and writer F. Amos Powell manage to create a grim and depressing atmosphere of isolation/cabin fever that can play about with the mind. The murders are far in few with a slow build up and a mix of uncomfortable moments that go towards incest. Entertaining enough to pass time but not one I can watch over and over again.

keep_my_grave_open-858439985-msmall.jpg
Old 27th February 2022, 11:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Angel Has fallen. 2019.

Gerard Butler returns as Secret Service agent Mike Banning, this time isn't protecting Aaron Eckhart but instead Morgan Freeman, during a assassination attempt, Banning is put in the frame and being set up to be the fall guy by a unknown shadow company. Second time seeing this and didn't think much of it but this time round it was fairly enjoyable with with Nick Nolte looking like a old hermit he is still able to bring a few laughs to the screen. Entertaining action flick.

angelhasfallen-OnlinePayoff_1944x2880.jpg
Old 27th February 2022, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Angel Has fallen. 2019.

Gerard Butler returns as Secret Service agent Mike Banning, this time isn't protecting Aaron Eckhart but instead Morgan Freeman, during a assassination attempt, Banning is put in the frame and being set up to be the fall guy by a unknown shadow company. Second time seeing this and didn't think much of it but this time round it was fairly enjoyable with with Nick Nolte looking like a old hermit he is still able to bring a few laughs to the screen. Entertaining action flick.
I thought this was excellent.

Although i found the first two ended up pretty disappointing following thrilling opening half hours.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought this was excellent.

Although i found the first two ended up pretty disappointing following thrilling opening half hours.
I appreciate more this time round, it will go on the re-watch pile
Old 28th February 2022, 04:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wretched. 2019.

Ben goes to stay with his father in a small town and feels something is wrong with his neighbours.

Came across this on Shudder and gave it a go, it seemed to have a good build up to it with some character introductions and does a take on the myth of The Benevento Witches. For what Shudder have put up this seems mild and more like a teen horror than a full blown horror, the twist in the film really didn't make much sense or maybe I missed the point to it, there is decent acting and a good haunting background score, certainly enjoyable.

TheWretched_digital-packshot-600x900.jpg
Old 28th February 2022, 05:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hall. 2020.

Guests at a hotel try to survive when a virus breaks out.

Another Shudder exclusive, this was a blind watch for me so the premise sounded interesting, I didn't watch the trailer and went right into it. There is a decent build up to the main characters and some characters we only see part off towards the end of the film.

Val, Brendan and their daughter Kelly arrive at the hotel, all is not well with the marriage. Chinese Naomi who is pregnant is staying their for work and fleeing her husband and a sinister man who seems to want the apocalypse to come. The film does go back and forth then in the middle it connects up. Aside from the decent make up effects, this is all the film had going for it, this is about 80 minutes of my life gone. very avoidable.

MV5BNzgyMmE1YTItY2VkNS00MzgyLTgwZTEtNzU3Nzc3MjU2NjUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzAxNzg1OTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 28th February 2022, 08:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)

An interesting Giallo from Massimo Dallamano in which Fabio Testi is under suspicion when a series of sadistic murders take place at the English school he teaches at.

It becomes apparent that the murders might be connected to a missing school girl, Solange (Camille Keaton).

As with so many of these Italian thrillers the plot twists and turns and seemingly everyone may be a suspect although Testi's case is not helped by the fact that he's shagging one of his students (Cristina Galbó) and she witnessed one of the killings whilst making out with teach on the banks of the Thames.

This element of student / teacher relationships adds spice to the mix and the first half of the film is as much about them and their illicit affair and not being found out as it is murder mystery, thankfully Dallamano handles it tastefully.

What Have You Done to Solange? is a hugely enjoyable film. Dallamano's direction is assured as are the performances with Testi, Galbo and Joachim Fuchsberger as the investigating policeman. Fuchsberger is a veteran of these films starring in many Edgar Wallace 'Krimis' in his native Germany.

Although not as violent as a lot of Gialli, especially in the actual blood spilling department, there are several scenes with startling imagery that have really stuck in my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What_Have_You_Done_to_Solange.jpg (23.3 KB, 66 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!