Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2022, 08:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Church (1989)

A group of worshippers and a wedding party are trapped in a cathedral when the new librarian is possessed by the spirits of devil worshippers, massacred centuries before and buried beneath the building.

The Church is a stylish and often gruesome film with a confused narrative that often doesn't make sense but this kind of adds to the films charm. The film seems much influenced by it's producer and co-writer, Dario Argento, especially with it's inventively gory deaths, lavishly surreal set pieces and lashings of religious hokum, yet it is also these reasons that the film yields greater rewards with repeat viewings.

The imagery on offer is simply superb. The medieval witch hunt is downright nasty especially the burial of the bodies, not all who are dead i might add, under lime as the church foundations are laid. This of course is just the beginning. As the evil under the church is woken from it's sleep the film becomes a brilliant macabre classic. Naturally there's strong gore but the Gothic atmosphere offered up by Soavi is thick with foreboding. From captivating sequences such as the winged demon with a naked woman wrapped inside it's wings to the final set piece as the bodies rise from the grave as one in a seething, malignant alter of human sacrifice. Soavi defines modern Gothic horror to a tee.

Watching the film in HD via the Shameless blu last night was pretty awesome.
Old 10th March 2022, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Carry On Columbus (1992, Gerald Thomas)

Well I finally cracked and watched it. Now at least I can say I found a worse CO then England

Jim Dale takes a break from singing on stage to carry on the fine tradition of knob and pussy gags we all grew up with.
Or not. Never mind the fact it looked more like one of the TV episodes, it just wasn't funny even if the Inqusition did make me larf when they turned up to spoil things for our intrepid adventurer. Woeful. I never learn.
Guess you saw this on Talking Pictures?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th March 2022, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cyrano

Peter Dinklidge is the titular character who has a crush on Haley Williams but helps another man to woo her. I found this to be rather enjoyable with Dinklidge putting in a rather good performance.

Soylent Green

What is the secret of Soylent Green? well if you watch the Trailer, it tells you. This supposedly 1973 Sci-fi Film is set in 2022 and things aren't going too well in New York with rioting and food shortages. Charlton Heston is a Cop assigned to investigating a murder of a Businessman. This Film had some really good elements (I'm sure some World Leaders would like to use The Scoops in real life lol) but it's too slow. Maybe a remake would tighten it up and fulfill the potential this Film has.

Coming 2 America

Didn't realize that this was going to be released on physical media this week and whilst it does bring back most of the cast from the 1st Film and gives the Easter Eggs and nods to the original, this was rather a missed opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (9.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sg.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg c2a.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th March 2022, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Guess you saw this on Talking Pictures?
Yes. Was housesitting so took advantage ahem. Lesson learned
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th March 2022, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Suspiria (1977)

If i thought the Shameless release of The Church was awesome it paled in comparison with Shameless parent company Cult Films release of Suspiria which i watched on Tuesday night.

High definition really makes the colour palettes used by Argento stand out even more, it's absolutely beautiful to look at, a feast for the eyes whilst the new 5:1 DTS sound mix is truly something else and takes Goblin's legendary score to a totally new dimension.

An audio visual delight.
Old 11th March 2022, 10:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Watch. 1973.

A woman believes she witnessed a murder but who was actually murdered.

This was a blind watch for me and had no idea what I was in for, Elizabeth Taylor plays Ellen who had a mental breakdown after the death of her husband years earlier and now living with her new husband. During a thunderstorm she believes she has seen a murder in the abandoned house across from hers, the police search the house and find nothing.

This was a bit tense and feels like Rear Window set in the posh part of London, Laurence Harvey and Billie Whitelaw plays the husband and best friend and try to prove that there was no murder committed. Bill Dean plays the Police Inspector who leads this mysterious investigation. This does have a good direction as you think it goes one way then throws a curve ball then throws in another. This may seem low budget but certainly worth watching.

MV5BMGI4MWY3NDEtYzdlNi00MzE1LThjMTAtMjVmYjkyZGIzZDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0NTI0Nw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 11th March 2022, 01:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Topper. 1937.

A fun loving couple die in a car crash and are stuck in limbo, and come into contact with Cosmo Topper and bring some cheer into his life.

Cary Grant and Constance Bennett play the couple who's lives come to a tragic end, they have done nothing bad nor good and decide to do something good for once. The pace for this is a bit slow but Grant does show a lot of comedy and perks in this, the effects for this at the time are quite good which shows a drunk guy being carried around. This was the first of the Roland Young trilogy of the Topper character.

MV5BOThhMGRhNDAtYzQ4YS00NTc1LTgxNjMtYjQ4NDJmODE4ODg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg
Old 11th March 2022, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Cottage. A pair of bumbling kidnappers get more than they bargained for when they abduct a gangster's daughter and hide out in a remote country cottage, not only from their gobby hostage, but the farmer next door... who turns out to be a demented serial killer. Andy Serkis and Reece Shearsmith star in this late 2000s British flick that starts as a comedy-thriller and then heads into Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory in the second half (albeit still with a sense of humour). Never heard of this till recently, but it's a hoot, funny and VERY gory.
Old 11th March 2022, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Cottage. A pair of bumbling kidnappers get more than they bargained for when they abduct a gangster's daughter and hide out in a remote country cottage, not only from their gobby hostage, but the farmer next door... who turns out to be a demented serial killer. Andy Serkis and Reece Shearsmith star in this late 2000s British flick that starts as a comedy-thriller and then heads into Texas Chainsaw Massacre territory in the second half (albeit still with a sense of humour). Never heard of this till recently, but it's a hoot, funny and VERY gory.
Jennifer Ellison's suited to that role. A fun film.
iank likes this.
Old 11th March 2022, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

No, the Case Is Happily Resolved (1973)

An excellent Italian crime drama about a young man who witnesses the murder of a prostitute by a respected university professor. To avoid hassle he decides not to report it to the police but soon realises the killer has reported him to the police and blamed him for the murder.

Another from Arrow's Years of Lead box set and another classy film. The initial murder is pretty harrowing to watch but the rest of the film plays out like a game of cat and mouse as the young man tries to extricate himself from the crime as the police hunt him down. It's highly intriguing and a very satisfying watch even if the ending is as downbeat and ambiguous as at all possible.

As with the other two films i've seen in this collection the film deals with the class struggle in Italy during the early seventies and the idea that the wealthy commit crimes partly out of the dreariness of their own lives and also because they simply feel they can get away with it.

The acting is uniformly excellent and the plot a real gripper. Vittorio Salerno's film is for me an unheard of gem and a beautifully vitriolic swipe at the Italian justice system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No,_the_Case_Is_Happily_Resolved.jpg (25.3 KB, 44 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!