LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2022, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I, Monster. 1971.

A doctor researching on a new drug tries it on himself and becomes a entirely different person/

Amicus version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with Christopher Lee as the eccentric psychologist who seems mild until he transforms into the evil persona and is able to bring a dark side to the screen. teamed with Peter Cushing as a associate and familiar with his work tries to help but there is only one way to stop the evil.

Although Cushing's role seems small he is able to bring a lot of strength with has character and acting and never outshines anyone. This may not be a classic tale of Jekyll and Hyde but it is very entertaining with the use of bright colours and dark with great cinematography, thanks again for this one Dem.
Glad you enjoyed it.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 16th March 2022, 03:34 PM
Cult Addict

I watched I Monster for the first time last year since seeing it on TV growing up. and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered.
It is actually one of the more faithful adaptations of the book.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th March 2022, 03:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sweet Sixteen. 1983.

Young 15 year old Melissa arrives in a new town, yet some of the people she meets ends up being killed.

This is classed as a slasher horror, yet it appears to be a murder mystery who dunnit movie with less gore. Right from the start we are introduced to high tensions between the locals and native Americans with hostility between them and tensions mount up during the course of the film.

We are supposed to believe the actress playing the lead is 15 yet we do see her topless a few times but still a good debut in a film with Bo Hopkins playing the town Sheriff and Susan Strasberg. It may not be a brilliant entry into the slasher film genre like other films before it, it does have a good atmosphere, the pace does go strong and weak at times but certainly entertaining right to the ending.

51CQTxwYwTL._AC_.jpg
Old 16th March 2022, 03:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I watched I Monster for the first time last year since seeing it on TV growing up. and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered.
It is actually one of the more faithful adaptations of the book.
There was a good version that was made into a two part series back in 1989-1990 with Michael Caine, only ever saw that once yet remember it well.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 16th March 2022, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Exorcist III. 1990.

Lt. Kinderman investigating some murders leads him to a catatonic ward of a hospital and a patient.

After a so called sequel came out to the public, William Peter Blatty gave us a new story and film and is a better true sequel than the 1977 film that he wrote and directed himself.

Right at the start we see Kinderman and Father Dyer reflecting on the death of Father Damien Karras, opening shot of the famous stairs then a church doors bursting open and a statue of Jesus opening his eyes...eerie, then a POV movement along a street with a voice over.

Like the first film, Blatty puts in some comedy but as we think it's going to be one of those films, he turns it round to being a serious film. Even though there is murders happening we never see them happen only described and left to the viewers Imagination. Kinderman tells Dyer about the killings and sees the reaction on how a small boy was murdered to being almost teary eyed until Kinderman looks at the body of his friend and we see his reaction to almost tearing up and able to capture to different mood shoots of two people.

George C. Scott takes over the role that was played by Lee J. Cobb as Kinderman, who has different moods, happy, sad and angry in which we all see that we didn't in the first film. Ed Flanders plays Father Dyer that was played by Father William O' Malley, who carry on the friendship from the first film.

The mood and atmosphere changes halfway through with Patient X played by Jason Miller who then changes over to Brad Dourif who is able to deliver his lines perfectly and sinister at the same time about how he done his murders and what technique he used to drain the body of blood.

Nicol Williams plays Father morning in a small role, like Father Merrin we are told about having experience in performing exorcisms, towards the beginning of the exorcist scene we see the glowing eyes then Father Morning having a expression on his face like a badass. This does have great visual effects of blood and gore but never OTT. From the start of the film the tension is built up slowly and stays with it right through to the end.

71s2Ri7BppL._RI_.jpg
Old 16th March 2022, 09:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

looking-for-mr-goodbar-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR (1977)

Based on the true story murder of Roseann Quinn.
Diane Keaton plays the lead role of a school teacher who deals with deaf children. After an affair with a married man comes to end, she goes out at night cruising the bars and having one night stands with strangers.
When she starts to get in to the drug scene, her role at the school suffers as she oversleeps. Frightened of what might happen to her and her career if the police raided her flat, she flushes the last of the drugs down the toilet and goes out around the bars one last time. She meets a guy and takes him back to her flat...
Diane Keaton is great in this movie. Scenes of the bars with disco music, the nightlife with the sex cinemas all add to the atmosphere.
A powerful and disturbing movie, overlong but well worth the watch.
Old 16th March 2022, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

Goodbar is so overlooked.
Frankie Teardrop and Dave Boy like this.

Old 16th March 2022, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Goodbar is so overlooked.
It was by me. I'd never heard of it.
Old 16th March 2022, 11:18 PM
Cult Addict

It was once mentioned by Stephen King in Danse Macabre as one of his ****ed up films that ****ed him up, that's where i first learnt of it along with man with the x ray eyes I think, although i may just be a massive bullshit artist at this point.
There's a segment where he's describing films as a sort of test. Man I haven't read it in years but i'm pretty sure i didn't imagine it....

1ac54ac84c687cf4410ce3bffbda3291.jpg

Old 16th March 2022, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It was once mentioned by Stephen King in Danse Macabre as one of his ****ed up films that ****ed him up, that's where i first learnt of it along with man with the x ray eyes I think, although i may just be a massive bullshit artist at this point.
There's a segment where he's describing films as a sort of test. Man I haven't read it in years but i'm pretty sure i didn't imagine it....
I was about 20 when i read DM. Can't really remember a thing about it. Talking thirty years ago.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!